On this day 45 years ago . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev

player valuation - PRICELESS
Everton appointed a new manager. Welcome to Everton Gordon Francis Lee.
1643537887568.png

Lee took over from Billy Bingham.
In what is generally considered a very poor period for the club Lee finished his first season (1976-77) In 9th position, but also led us to that titanic League Cup Final against Aston Villa which lasted longer than your average Everton board decision. Aston Villa eventually winning the second replay 3-2 at Old Trafford.
We also had that epic FA Cup run which was eventually brought to an end by Clive (expletive deleted) Thomas following a replayed Semi Final against the Devils spawn.
The following season (1977-78) we finished 3rd in the table with signings like George Wood and Trevor Ross.
1978-79 we finished 4th.
1979-80 was a disaster finishing in 19th place. Another FA Cup Semi-Final went to a replay before West Ham won 2-1 (with Frank Lampard Sr. scoring the winner in Extra time)
1980-81 saw a 15th place finish and Lee was sacked on 6th May 1981

Ultimately a failure of course, but looking back now, I wonder how many of our younger fanbase would like to have experienced those 3 games of the League Cup Final against Villa, or the FA Cup runs in 1976 and 1980?

I liked Lee in his early years. He built a good team yet just fell short. We could smash teams all over the place yet got smashed ourselves once in a while. Exciting team to watch and always going for it. Got us to a position whereas 1 or 2 shrewd buys could have had us with a chance of title. Goalkeeper was desperately needed. The board cut his purse strings and we lost some players and he had to turn to youth. Still did well by todays stds but it was starting to go backwards hence the sacking. The epic league cup final was as much down to Billy Bingham as he got us to the semis before Lee took over. Intelligent man and a good manager IMO and totally turned the fortunes of the Club when he took over. Fond memories

View attachment 154109
In what is generally considered a very poor period for the club Lee finished his first season (1976-77) In 9th position, but also led us to that titanic League Cup Final against Aston Villa which lasted longer than your average Everton board decision. Aston Villa eventually winning the second replay 3-2 at Old Trafford.
We also had that epic FA Cup run which was eventually brought to an end by Clive (expletive deleted) Thomas following a replayed Semi Final against the Devils spawn.
The following season (1977-78) we finished 3rd in the table with signings like George Wood and Trevor Ross.
1978-79 we finished 4th.
1979-80 was a disaster finishing in 19th place. Another FA Cup Semi-Final went to a replay before West Ham won 2-1 (with Frank Lampard Sr. scoring the winner in Extra time)

Ultimately a failure of course, but looking back now, I wonder how many of our younger fanbase would like to have experienced those 3 games of the League Cup Final against Villa, or the FA Cup runs in 1976 and 1980?
Was at Wembley and Old Trafford my old man wouldn't let me miss school for the Sheffield based replay.

Cried when we lost, Dad said not taking you again if you gonna cry! Hard Toffee he is!!

Was a strange Era late 70's Lee overall had a good run ruined by poor decisions and Clive(expletive deleted?) Thomas.

Only a few years to wait until the Beautiful mid 80's though.

Such a mixed bag of highs and lows!! But those cup runs !!! Truly all-consuming. Could barely eat at times wondering about teams, travel, tickets, injustices, glory, heartbreak, courage and corruption (from CT mainly). And a real purple patch of brilliant footy with King, Dobson, Big Bob and Dave Thomas. Couldn’t turn it into silverware though!!! Grrr.
Lee struggled with stars but he did have his moments. Miles better than the Bingham era.

View attachment 154109
1978-79 we finished 4th.

I tell people I've been to five League Cup finals.
Not bad when in reality we've only been there twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.