On this day 45 years ago . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those 3 league cup final matches. Duncan McKenzie dropped. A loopy shot ( that could have gone anywhere) at goal from the English guy who played for N.Ireland. Chris something.( Can't remember). David Lawson grasping fresh air. Still rankles a wee bit that we couldn't win that cup.
And then there was Frank Lampard seniors loopy header that could have gone anywhere also. But no.......being Everton......loopy shots and headers hit the back of the net.
And then there is Clive Thomas. Why did I even look at this thread. Aaarrrggg.
But there again. We won nothing. But we did see McKenzie.....Latchford.....Dave Thomas......Andy King......Martin Dobson.....Mike Lyons. If only we had a proper keeper and a few more competent defenders.
Latchford...the god of centre forwards

Gordon Lee, when asked about Duncan McKenzie.
"If I want to see stars, I look in the sky"
stupid comment from Gordon Lee. Dismissing quality footballers like that.
Wonder if he would have thought similar if he had managed Alan Ball.....George Best......Alan Hudson......Tony Currie......Frank Worthington....
Or was it just a personal.thing against McKenzie.
Anyhow......even after this number of years .....Lee's decision to drop and then sell McKenzie makes no sense.....

The crowd attendance average the year he got sacked was like 15.000 for home games even that loyal lot threw seat cushions it was that bad

Latchford...the god of centre forwards
Can't argue with that. As much as I like DCL nowadays. Imagine Latchford playing nowadays. Getting fed crosses by Gray and Townsend and Gordon.
Although the service he got from Dave Thomas......Dobson......King.....Telfer. Wasn't too shabby. Probably on second thoughts , better than anything nowadays.
Bob Latchford.......great goalscorer. Great footballer...

Those 3 league cup final matches. Duncan McKenzie dropped. A loopy shot ( that could have gone anywhere) at goal from the English guy who played for N.Ireland. Chris something.( Can't remember). David Lawson grasping fresh air. Still rankles a wee bit that we couldn't win that cup.
And then there was Frank Lampard seniors loopy header that could have gone anywhere also. But no.......being Everton......loopy shots and headers hit the back of the net.
And then there is Clive Thomas. Why did I even look at this thread. Aaarrrggg.
But there again. We won nothing. But we did see McKenzie.....Latchford.....Dave Thomas......Andy King......Martin Dobson.....Mike Lyons. If only we had a proper keeper and a few more competent defenders.
Great post

We where probably a top keeper 2 midfield players and a centre half away from being a great team. Yeah we had Micky Lyons who would have headed a runaway truck and we had Dobbo in midfield but could have done with more quality.

We where probably a top keeper 2 midfield players and a centre half away from being a great team. Yeah we had Micky Lyons who would have headed a runaway truck and we had Dobbo in midfield but could have done with more quality.
So I take it you didnt rate Andy King if we needed 2 midfielders to compliment Dobson ?

So I take it you didnt rate Andy King if we needed 2 midfielders to compliment Dobson ?
We all rated Andy (is our) King.
Hang on, didn't you play right back for us?
Joking aside, you are correct in your synopsis of saying Andy wasn't considered to be good enough. He was more than good enough. In those days, if you could stop Andy King playing, you would stop Everton playing.

2 good years 2 bad. But at least the bad had cup runs!!

And we had Big Bob, Dobbo, Andy King (yeah we even beat them lot) - and we beat them in the cup.

Kinell I remember this. I remember he wanted to sign Alan Gowling until the ST End made their voices heard. The beginning if our fall from grace till Kendall for me

Agree about our keeper. Lawson wasn't great. And I never rated David Jones or Trevor Ross. And Jim Pearson. Darracott was in and out of the team also around that time. Not a great player imo. Think that Pejic w as s our LB. He was ok. Imo that team was about four players short from being a very good team. But that's exactly what I've thought of Everton for the past 30 or so years. Always about 4 or 5 players short . When we have a forward line.......no defence. And when we have a defence......no forward line. And no decent midfield now for years.
Let's hope that Lampard can address all that. And get the balance right.

Attachments

• _101050562_chucklebbc_cut.jpg
    _101050562_chucklebbc_cut.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 39
Yeah sorry its been a long time. King was great. Just thought if we had had more strength in depth. Including 2 more really good midfielders. We'd have gone on to better things. Was a frustrating time growing up when most of your mates are RS and winning everything and we're always the bridesmaids.

Status
Not open for further replies.