Old Everton Pictures

What about if you went to see the reserves and you waited with baited breath when you watched the man bring the half time scores round, and put them on numbered boards at the side of the pitch, and you saw if the first team was winning or not, I remember when he brought the half time score of the Spurs v Everton game in 1958, 6-1 to Spurs, the poor fella got a good round of booing while he walked back, the game finished 10-4, Jesus what a day that was, hardly anybody remembered that Jimmy Harris scored a hat trick that day,or even cared that he had!!
Yeah I'd forgotten about the those days of the h/t scores. But I remember if you stayed in the ground for 10 minutes extra..................at 5.00pm you'd get the RS away result, the best one was Cardiff 6 RS 1. another second division trouncing.

Yeah I'd forgotten about the those days of the h/t scores. But I remember if you stayed in the ground for 10 minutes extra..................at 5.00pm you'd get the RS away result, the best one was Cardiff 6 RS 1. another second division trouncing.
Well Cardiff rings a bell, was at Anfield for Shankley’s first home game as manager of Liverpool,it could have been his first game, anyway Cardiff slaughtered them 4-0,happy, happy days those eight seasons spent in the second division.

Well Cardiff rings a bell, was at Anfield for Shankley’s first home game as manager of Liverpool,it could have been his first game, anyway Cardiff slaughtered them 4-0,happy, happy days those eight seasons spent in the second division.
Until their recent premier league defeats against Liverpool, Cardiff had an excellent record at Anfield and have still won more than they have lost in league meetings.

1664808616627.png

Until their recent premier league defeats against Liverpool, Cardiff had an excellent record at Anfield and have still won more than they have lost in league meetings.
I didn’t know that but going way back to the season Liverpool were relegated n 1954 I remember Alf Sherwood, Welsh international left back, going in goal after the Cardiff keeper was injured and saving a penalty from Billy Liddell and the rebound, with Cardiff either winning or drawing the game and putting another nail in Liverpool’s coffin and demise to the second division.

It is definitely after 1962 because I think those socks with the white tops were not used until the 1963/4 season.

I had not noticed the socks. Your comment is good as I have now looked at my photos again and you are correct. Looking at my photos for that season I can only see Man Utd and Leeds playing in all white strips in 63-64 at Goodison. Does anyone recognise the Number 8 standing on the line.

Interested to know more about kick off times pre 1970s. 3pm was standard when I started going the match (apart from during the 3 day week period). Was the 3.15 ko connected to people finishing morning shifts? Pre floodlights, did games start earlier in the winter?
I had not noticed the socks. Your comment is good as I have now looked at my photos again and you are correct. Looking at my photos for that season I can only see Man Utd and Leeds playing in all white strips in 63-64 at Goodison. Does anyone recognise the Number 8 standing on the line.
Err

Err..? John Charles......
Total guess!

I have to say, when searching for old games and finally getting to see footage of old legends, some can disappoint and some can live up to expectations. Vernon is definitely in the latter category. He looks a magnificent player.
Dig out the away game Vs Wolves, watch Vernon pick up the ball about the halfway line, throw in a Cryuff turn before it was even invented then thread an inch perfect ball for Alex Young to score without even breaking stride.

I can only guess at the Cardiff 'Kit-man' putting their normal blue shirts in the kit-box, and that Everton would have rang round local amateur clubs
for a day swap, maybe even the RS. I remember the day as we won with all 5 of our forwards scoring!

Are you sure it's not Leicester Brian? They did play away in white shirt / white shorts around this time (e.g. the 1963 Cup Final) and the reason i say it is that i'm sure it's been asked before and I did some digging and found it. I'll be able to look again a bit later.