Old Everton Pictures

Roy Vernon -

1664792866669.png

Some brilliant photos today lads, I can get really emotional seeing these. I used to get ' butterflies ' a couple of hours before the kick offs,
I used to be outside Goodison at 12 noon for a 3.15 kick off and was sometimes let in by 'staff' at between 1.00pm & 1.30pm.
But the butterflies used to get me for Dirty Dave Hickson, The Golden Vision. McMagic, Cantona, Rooney & Haaland.
Interested to know more about kick off times pre 1970s. 3pm was standard when I started going the match (apart from during the 3 day week period). Was the 3.15 ko connected to people finishing morning shifts? Pre floodlights, did games start earlier in the winter?

Interested to know more about kick off times pre 1970s. 3pm was standard when I started going the match (apart from during the 3 day week period). Was the 3.15 ko connected to people finishing morning shifts? Pre floodlights, did games start earlier in the winter?
Pre floodlight games must have kicked off earlier, 3pm was the standard kick-off time for all clubs after that ... never went to a 3-15pm kick off if my memory serves me right?

They used to have 3:15pm kick-offs in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I remember my Uncle Keith talking about finishing work, to get to Goodison for "quarter past", which seemed odd to me. Think it was fairly consistently 3.00pm after that, until the live games started in the 1980s.

They used to have 3:15pm kick-offs in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I remember my Uncle Keith talking about finishing work, to get to Goodison for "quarter past", which seemed odd to me. Think it was fairly consistently 3.00pm after that, until the live games started in the 1980s.
Born in 1955 I will have to agree with that lol