2017/18 Nikola Vlasic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I'm not saying play a team of academy players. Fear I'm not really being understood here.
Probably because you threw up KDB and Salah as justifications for sticking with youth players who aren't the finished product despite the overwhelming pattern of odds suggesting players are far more likely to turn into a McAleny than a Salah.

It's easy to point to the few times when letting players go has been something clubs can regret as they're much more memorable than those who don't but they're far outnumbered by the amount of players who never kicked on and we're rightly let go. It's a law of averages.

What's Vlasic's proper position?

Or Lookman's?

They've each played at least 4-5 games and neither, if you're honest with yourself, has taken their chances and shown that they're ready to do more than cameos.

I think they could both be alright squad players but neither is consistently good enough to start and unfortunately neither of them wants to stay on the bench.

So if they're not good enough to start and not happy on the bench what do we do?
But Bolasie is and starts every match?

Probably because you threw up KDB and Salah as justifications for sticking with youth players who aren't the finished product despite the overwhelming pattern of odds suggesting players are far more likely to turn into a McAleny than a Salah.

It's easy to point to the few times when letting players go has been something clubs can regret as they're much more memorable than those who don't but they're far outnumbered by the amount of players who never kicked on and we're rightly let go. It's a law of averages.

good points jakey boy.

its a catch 22 situation, let them go and watch them progress and captain their country or keep hold of them like we have with mirrallas albeit him being a bit older, hoping that they come good , giving them loads of game time and being let down time and time again inbetween the odd good spell.

manager are under so much pressure to get results that they can not afford to carry passengers

Or Lookman's?

They've each played at least 4-5 games and neither, if you're honest with yourself, has taken their chances and shown that they're ready to do more than cameos.

I think they could both be alright squad players but neither is consistently good enough to start and unfortunately neither of them wants to stay on the bench.

So if they're not good enough to start and not happy on the bench what do we do?

I would say Vlasic would be better more centrally and Lookman is a winger. These are players that in a perfect world would be expected to play to strengths rather than concentrate on weaknesses. Allardyce and Koeman IMO are more defensive minded and the strengths of these 2 players not fully utilised. Lookman for most parts didn't know whether he was coming or going...he was lost. In Germany he is played more to his strengths yet his weaknesses are still recognised, and he is looking the player we expected or want. Vlasic the same really. Both players are very good young players and shouldn't be shoehorned into doing alien things whereas they get lost and there strength is basically took away. First and foremost use there strengths and with experience there secondary duty will fall into place. Evertons problem with Allardyce is these types of players are expected to drop into full back/defensive modes which makes it virtually impossible for us to get out of our half for long periods and it becomes the hoof that relieves pressure momentarily.

Or Lookman's?

I'll judge them after 10+ full appearances in their proper position not playing under an incredibly negative manager.

Nymzee in 'sensible post' shocker.

I'll judge them after 10+ full appearances in their proper position not playing under an incredibly negative manager.
So you'll judge them after 10 games, but with two very specific caveats.

Fairly sure Lookman has had 10+ full appearances under Koeman, or does he also count as incredibly negative?

If players are not getting to start matches do you not think that is because they haven't earned the right to start?

I ask again what are their positions?

I don't think either of them know.

I would say Vlasic would be better more centrally and Lookman is a winger. These are players that in a perfect world would be expected to play to strengths rather than concentrate on weaknesses. Allardyce and Koeman IMO are more defensive minded and the strengths of these 2 players not fully utilised. Lookman for most parts didn't know whether he was coming or going...he was lost. In Germany he is played more to his strengths yet his weaknesses are still recognised, and he is looking the player we expected or want. Vlasic the same really. Both players are very good young players and shouldn't be shoehorned into doing alien things whereas they get lost and there strength is basically took away. First and foremost use there strengths and with experience there secondary duty will fall into place. Evertons problem with Allardyce is these types of players are expected to drop into full back/defensive modes which makes it virtually impossible for us to get out of our half for long periods and it becomes the hoof that relieves pressure momentarily.

You would say, but it obviously isn't that clear what their actual positions are is it?

I understand that defending is not their strengths but it is a team game and if they cannot participate in that side of the match then we have to accommodate them. Once you start getting a couple of these midfielders who can't play both directions then you start looking defensively exposed.

Lookman hasn't exactly lit the world alight over in Germany, I'd question how much you've actually watched him. They're definitely happy with him but it isn't like he has even managed to win a starting spot in that team either, probably because his weaknesses are still recognized.

What are Vlasic's strengths in your opinion?

I haven't been impressed by anything I've seen him do tbh. There's a reason he's not been getting played. People can argue that it is because he is played out of position but quality should appear in moments at least if they do have it regardless of where they play. I've barely seen Vlasic beat a man or play a penetrating pass. I don't know why people are so confident this will change if he moves inside.

So you'll judge them after 10 games, but with two very specific caveats.

Fairly sure Lookman has had 10+ full appearances under Koeman, or does he also count as incredibly negative?

If players are not getting to start matches do you not think that is because they haven't earned the right to start?

I ask again what are their positions?

I don't think either of them know.

Lookman deffo hasn't had 10 full matches under Koeman mate haha. The position we found ourself in this season most managers would have done what we did and go for experience like Bolasie; no club is risking PL cash with kids!

Erm well personally Vlasic is a 10 and Lookman maybe inside left sort of forward? He plays okay inside too.

Status
Not open for further replies.