• The Kids Are Alright

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Man's Game Charges A Man's Price

Votes: 37 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its a hard one with the league cup, to cope with competing in 4 competitions I think I would like to see our squad grow by 8 seasoned pros. If it doesn't, and history tells us that this rarely happens at Everton, then I fully expect the young guns to get some playing time, either in the early stages of the league cup and europa league, or give the league cup to the u23's.

Personally I would love to see Everton win the league cup, some say its not a "big" competition, but I don't care, we haven't won anything for a long time and I want to see us winning silverware.

If you look at the prize money for the Europa League, you can get about 30m euros (about £25m) and a place in the champions league, where as the league cup winner you can make about £170,000 from winning it (entering at round 3) and a place in the Europa league. So based on that I think we have to prioritize the Europa League over the League Cup (or "Carabao Cup" as it will be called next year!)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2398584.html

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/capital-one-league-cup-prize-money/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-deal-energy-drinks-firm-Carabao-season.html

We'll competing in 4 competitions next year. Obviously the league comes first, then either Europe or the FA cup, with the league cup last.

With our all conquering U23 squad, and golden generation, should we just treat the league cup as a U23 showcase and go as far as we can with the mighty Toffee yoof?

Short answer, it all depends on how strong the squad is come the start of next season and it depends on who you get in the draw early doors. Ideally you want a lot of competition for places in the squad so the ones given the chance try to impress in the cup games

Ultimately I want Everton to be the best club. If we can achieve that then we will inevitably win trophies. Whilst winning the League Cup would be a cracking day out and an achievement it does not represent major success if it is an isolated event, in the hierarchy of trophies it is very much the least important. Also in the modern game the management of a large squad is imperative , and the use of early domestic cup rounds to give youngsters and other squad members game time is an important aspect of this. Given a good draw poor teams can and occasionally do win cups, and they remain poor teams.
League success trumps all cups in the judgement of a clubs quality.

Not quite as black or white. It'll be some shade of grey depending on the fixture/injury lists.

Domestic cups will still be our best chance of silverware, so there is no reason not to take it seriously. However both rounds 3 & 4 are midweek with UEL games midweek both the week before & the week after. And those UEL group games are the first 4 games - when we are likely still playing strong sides to get the points on the board. Games 5 & 6 of the UEL groups, when if things go to plan we can rotate a little in those games, there are no Carabao Cup games around.

Round 5 of Carabao Cup is just prior to the Christmas run. With next season being compressed to allow England to win the 2018 World Cup (no sniggering at the back) the Premier League has 6 games in 17 days. The 1st leg of the semi is just after this run.

I find it highly unlikely there will not be some rotation. Certainly, I'd expect the games to have rotation in terms of first team squad on the bench to start. Any key players or players carrying a knock to be rested. But it shouldn't just be the U23/18s thrown in. Plus who we draw may have an impact. Carlisle at home will be a very different team than Chelsea away would be.

As others have said - there will be rotation, but it needs balance. It needs to resemble a PL team, even if it's not the strongest team available.

As others have stated I don't think it's entirely a black and white question. Overall though I think it's important to give young players an opportunity. I thin't think sending a team full of them out if we get drawn PL opposition makes sense. However if it's a lower league side, then seeing lads like Kenny, Dowell and Walsh included in a side with some experienced lads would be sensible for me.

We will be in 4 competitions next season. I think we should go heavily on the Europa League and will want to avoid falling away in the league. At some stage you have to include players. As we approach Christmas we can re-assess and if we are still in both competitions then treat them more seriously.

As a slight aside, maybe the question right to be- would you rather play a full strength team in the league cup, or keep Dowell/Walsh/Kenny (or for those who haven't seen them as much say a Tom Davies).

There is a chance all of the above 3 could have a similar impact if they are given game time. I can fully understand people wanting a trophy, but would I be willing to reduce a chances in game within the 4th trophy we'll be involved in if it meant potentially uncovering another Tom Davies and preventing them leaving, then yes I'd be prepared to do that.

As a slight aside, maybe the question right to be- would you rather play a full strength team in the league cup, or keep Dowell/Walsh/Kenny (or for those who haven't seen them as much say a Tom Davies).

There is a chance all of the above 3 could have a similar impact if they are given game time. I can fully understand people wanting a trophy, but would I be willing to reduce a chances in game within the 4th trophy we'll be involved in if it meant potentially uncovering another Tom Davies and preventing them leaving, then yes I'd be prepared to do that.

Agree. I can't see how much you can really tell about a player from training alone. At some point you have to watch them in a match. Only being in two competitions most of the year curtailed opportunities for these lads.

I'm willing to risk not winning a trophy of a competition we've never won, to find out if those lads are more Tom Davies or Jose Baxter.

What a stupid post this is

You should want to win every trophy and therefore play your best team! All this resting nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.