Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Southampton to me are echoing Newcastle between 2000-2010 when a couple of overachieving seasons had their fans absolutely convinced that they were natural top 4 material, followed by a slide back down the table where they actually belonged but then almost in punishment for their earlier hubris they slid even further, eventually to relegation in 2009, bouncing straight back up the following season - which to be fair I would expect Southampton to do if they do indeed fall that low over the next few years. As m'learned colleagues above have noted, they can't keep getting away with selling their best assets, especially not at a time when they'll be stretched in Europe for a bit. They also seem to overlook that it was at least in part the Manager they've just lost that brought in the good value replacements that buoyed them up the last 2 seasons.

We've just had 2 shocking seasons after 1 really good one, which kind of indicates that pre-Moshiri our "natural" position - the position a decent manager could have comfortably achieved with the squad we've had - was somewhere in between, maybe 7th or 6th even.

That that's the minimum we should have achieved last season (i.e. before the £100m+ war chest) when it's really Southampton's glass ceiling does give the bottom line to why Koeman chose us.

The silver lining is that most people still see 11th place as our natural home, even though they know we'll have a better manager and cash to splash - so for at least the early part of the upcoming season we should be able to make a real smash and grab for points.

Lads don't bite. Southampton are an irrelevance.

Just let them stew in their fume at the fact that we are getting their manager, and he's not even the one the majority of the fans want.
this. not even reading their posts anymore, and theres plenty of those in here. theyre hurting, bad,,

Fixtures released Wednesday morning. The Southampton games have suddenly shot near the top of my "when do we play them" list.

Southampton at Goodison on the first day would be tremendous.

Fixtures released Wednesday morning. The Southampton games have suddenly shot near the top of my "when do we play them" list.

Southampton at Goodison on the first day would be tremendous.

They might bring two mini buses up that day mate. The So'ton Ultras will be out in force.

Fair enough, isn't it? First day back from holiday you have to get all your holiday clothes and towels washed and do a bit of food shopping first, don't you? Can't expect him at the farm before he's had a chance to buy a pint of milk, poor fella.

Ah, but M&S have shops these days coming out of arrivals.

Moving from Southampton to Everton in 2016 is like moving from the top of a very small ladder to the bottom of a very tall one. The Southampton fans are looking across and failing to look up. Koeman has and all that's going to greet them is a firm glass ceiling and a subsequent slide back down the ladder.

There is work to be done but anyone who wouldn't swap a very nice shed for a run down mansion is a simpleton.

I have more analogies if anyone needs them. Today's theme has been construction.

Fixed for you. ;)
Haven't looked to see what you've done but, no fixing required thanks!

We'll see mate. Personally can't see you breaking through that glass ceiling, selling your best players every season. Still, I won't deny you did a good job building the stature of the club since getting promoted.

Do think you reached your limit though with that 6th place finish. Where our journey will take us? Well, lets just say I'm extremely excited/ looking forward to find that out over the next five years or so.
As I've alluded too we may or may not have reached our apex but, like you I'm looking forward to finding out.

No disrespect to you but honestly now I was reading in the daily star today about how Everton have got money now to spend like city United and liverpool , you should have a read about it
Don't need to read the papers to know that (I've been on here for a while now) but, where have I said you haven't. Or is there another point you're trying to prove!

you would be nowhere if liverpool weren't such morons haha

Nah, in all seriousness, i feel sorry for southampton that they've brought players the calibre of bale through their academy and never been able to hold onto them for long. When you get offers like £25m for players like adam lallana then you don't need a wealthy owner, liverpool's welthy owners end up becoming yours in effect. I don't want us to be like that, i'd take some of your players obviously, but not for a ridiculously overpriced value like liverpool pay.
We agree on Liverpool ;).
You may buy one or some of our players but, you'll have to believe me that you'll also have pay high for them. We may sell players but as you've seen the price is always high due to the fact that we don't actually need the money (our owner is worth over £3 billion).

It's happened twice fella, don't get carried away like you're some super club fighting the unbelievable fight.

You where in the championship a 4 years ago and division one before that.

The last 6 I think you'll find!
So I can't get "carried away" with that but, you can get carried away it before Everton have done anything with their new found wealth!

You've sold your best and brought in some good. 6th place is nice and all but you won't be challenging top 4 with that squad unless you strike gold with a Mahrez purchase. Maybe a couple cup wins might attract some talent but outside of that 'being self-sufficient' doesn't work too well in this day and age -- you need investment to improve, just like any business. Spurs were only able to do it because they sold a world-class player (Bale) and kept their best academy graduates (Kane, Alli), Saints aren't doing that (Shaw, Chambers).
You might do well to pick up Osman though ;)
Top 4 may be to far for this squad but, we've got the summer to go yet. Yes I know some will go!
Big investment is not foolproof either!
We sold Shaw & Chambers (what ever happened to him) and bought Bertrand and millions in the bank.

Keep finishing higher?

Twice in a row. Cor.
As said above 6!

I don't even need to give a long winded reply on this bro, the lads on here have responded adequately and echoed my feelings regarding Southamptons business strategy.

Honestly the way the league is going now how long do you think it will last, not only are you selling first team players but future stars too (Shaw etc). Every sound business needs adequate funding to progress and improve, personally I think you have hit the peak and the only way will be backwards now especially when the Europa league takes its toll if you get far enough in it. I think you are all in for a rude awakening pretty soon but maybe I am wrong. Who knows. I don't care, I only care about Everton and we are on the up it seems after two abysmal seasons.
As I've answered the "Lads" questions you can read my reply to them if you want.
As I've more then once on here I don't know how long it can carry on either but, spending loads of cash is not a guarantee either!

Haven't looked to see what you've done but, no fixing required thanks!

As I've alluded too we may or may not have reached our apex but, like you I'm looking forward to finding out.

Don't need to read the papers to know that (I've been on here for a while now) but, where have I said you haven't. Or is there another point you're trying to prove!

We agree on Liverpool ;).
You may buy one or some of our players but, you'll have to believe me that you'll also have pay high for them. We may sell players but as you've seen the price is always high due to the fact that we don't actually need the money (our owner is worth over £3 billion).

The last 6 I think you'll find!
So I can't get "carried away" with that but, you can get carried away it before Everton have done anything with their new found wealth!

Top 4 may be to far for this squad but, we've got the summer to go yet. Yes I know some will go!
Big investment is not foolproof either!
We sold Shaw & Chambers (what ever happened to him) and bought Bertrand and millions in the bank.

As said above 6!

As I've answered the "Lads" questions you can read my reply to them if you want.
As I've more then once on here I don't know how long it can carry on either but, spending loads of cash is not a guarantee either!

Millbrook yeah?

Probably the Tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.