Leighton Baines - next Everton manager (but one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Player Valuation: £150m
Rumoured to have leapfrogged the Galloot in the pecking order and about to become a key member of the Everton first team coaching staff. A successor to Benitez might be pushing it time-wise, but he's apparently done well as a youth development coach. I'm sure he'll be doing all his coaching badges in the next year or so if he hasn't already done them.

He's a much more credible blue to be making manager than Ferguson; Baines is serious and articulate, whereas Ferguson is all spluttering OTT passion and he lacks polish. Baines has demographics on his side too: he's a hero and role model to a younger generation of blues to the one who hero worshipped Ferguson. The new generations who probably make up the majority of Evertonians now in their 20s and 30s have dads who worshipped Ferguson; they respect his standing at the club but they dont identify with him as much as they would Baines.

A strange one from me given his record in undermining Roberto, but if I were a betting man - and notwithstanding that Usmanov/Moshiri tend to go for established industry names as managers - I wouldn't mind enquiring what odds I could get on Baines being manager well before the decade's out.

Rumoured to have leapfrogged the Galloot in the pecking order and about to become a key member of the Everton first team coaching staff. A successor to Benitez might be pushing it time-wise, but he's apparently done well as a youth development coach. I'm sure he'll be doing all his coaching badges in the next year or so if he hasn't already done them.

He's a much more credible blue to be making manager than Ferguson; Baines is serious and articulate, whereas Ferguson is all spluttering OTT passion and he lacks polish. Baines has demographics on his side too: he's a hero and role model to a younger generation of blues to the one who hero worshipped Ferguson. The new generations who probably make up the majority of Evertonians now in their 20s and 30s have dads who worshipped Ferguson; they respect his standing at the club but they dont identify with him as much as they would Baines.

A strange one from me given his record in undermining Roberto, but if I were a betting man - and notwithstanding that Usmanov/Moshiri tend to go for established industry names as managers - I wouldn't mind enquiring what odds I could get on Baines being manager well before the decade's out.
Great news. We'll win the managers hair and managers playlist awards every year.

Only if he does what many of us have demanded of Duncan before he can be truly considered for the job: go out and prove himself at a lower level first. Build up a CV of proven, demonstrable value. For all the criticism of the Benitez appointment, his CV is among the best in world football. Serious organisations don't typically take punts - they prize proven, demonstrable value. If the current leadership remains in place long term, their criteria is clear. So, out you go, Leighton, and prove your worth. Your historical links to this club will then make you a leading and viable contender for any future vacancy.

I think this is a bit of nonsense - but it’s got me thinking - when was the last time ANY club made an internal appointment and it went well?

If we ever appoint an ex player they will have needed to go and prove themselves first.

Only if he does what many of us have demanded of Duncan before he can be truly considered for the job: go out and prove himself at a lower level first. Build up a CV of proven, demonstrable value. For all the criticism of the Benitez appointment, his CV is among the best in world football. Serious organisations don't typically take punts - they prize proven, demonstrable value. If the current leadership remains in place long term, their criteria is clear. So, out you go, Leighton, and prove your worth. Your historical links to this club will then make you a leading and viable contender for any future vacancy.
Spot on. I should have stated that.

Same applies to him, go away and make your mistakes, learn your trade on somebody else's dime Then comeback...if you can.

Love it

and maybe best gold is 'Digne plus this lad Hickey as his understudy. That's the way to go. There are people who are so nostalgic they'd have Baines here in his 40s. Thank goodness those same people didn't influence the board to hire the galoot as our manager.'

Status
Not open for further replies.