Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure on that mate. He got the best out of Deulofeu, and Barkley's output was better for him than most. He also tried to use both Osman and Peinaar even when they were coming to the end, I think had he have got hold of both 5 years earlier he'd have got more out of them. Baines maintained performance for the most part and Coleman went up a level under him. The fact he structured training around Barkley and Lukaku said a lot about his outlook.

His biggest problems were:
1) He refused to engage with the high press without the ball advocated by Pep. His teams also lack defensive stability, but they put sides under enough pressure pre-emptively they avoid having to defend too often. We weren't fit enough.

2) His sides weren't ruthless enough offensively. Pep's guys go for the throat. We should have scored more goals.
I think he was an extremely lazy manager. Like you said, he never got the fitness levels up to where they needed to be, and spent little to no time drilling a defence that couldn't so much as pick up a man at a set piece by the time he was finished with it. His midfields were always terribly unbalanced after the first season, and he never came close to figuring out how to accommodate all of his attacking players in games where it wasn't simply a case of steamrolling weak opposition.

A good manager would have found a way to utilise both Deulofeu and Barkley at the same time, and brought in someone to do the dirty work that Lukaku struggled with (an Okazaki-type would have been ideal). Instead, he just binned Deulofeu in favour of Lennon.

I've got no time for these managers who think that playing Total Football is as easy as telling your centre-backs to never make a clearance. To me, he was no better than an Owen Coyle or a Tony Mowbray.

It would be interesting to sit and talk to him and ask him if he’d change anything if he had his time over again.
We lacked balance from front to back or back to front I thought, not sideways balance.
You’re right, never fit enough either.

Yeah, be interesting to see if he adapts in the future.

His stubborness was another factor. Seemingly he ignored the input of senior players time and again and ultimately if the manager doesn't listen to his players they will stop going the extra mile for him.

Emery will be available shortly presuming PSG can't overcome Real in the UCL 2nd leg.

His options would seem quite limited at home but I imagine he won't be short of offers. He might prefer to return to being a big fish in a smaller pond.

Not sure if I like taking managers on the rebound as it were, but he would offer far more than any of the most recent incumbents imo.

It would be interesting to sit and talk to him and ask him if he’d change anything if he had his time over again.
We lacked balance from front to back or back to front I thought, not sideways balance.
You’re right, never fit enough either.
That would be cool
I wish you could have a frank discussion and get honest answers
Definitely fitness and conditioning were weaknesses , but we also had Pienaar Osman Barry Dustin Howard and Jags past their prime for a while

Dyche is a younger Big Sam

Bit harsh. He's the new Moyes... build a team, build commitment and work ethic, rise above all other teams, including some better off and push for Europe behind all only those with -monster-money.

Don't get me wrong, he's better suited there than here, but it's difficult to detract from what he's achieved, surely?

I think he was an extremely lazy manager. Like you said, he never got the fitness levels up to where they needed to be, and spent little to no time drilling a defence that couldn't so much as pick up a man at a set piece by the time he was finished with it. His midfields were always terribly unbalanced after the first season, and he never came close to figuring out how to accommodate all of his attacking players in games where it wasn't simply a case of steamrolling weak opposition.

A good manager would have found a way to utilise both Deulofeu and Barkley at the same time, and brought in someone to do the dirty work that Lukaku struggled with (an Okazaki-type would have been ideal). Instead, he just binned Deulofeu in favour of Lennon.

I've got no time for these managers who think that playing Total Football is as easy as telling your centre-backs to never make a clearance. To me, he was no better than an Owen Coyle or a Tony Mowbray.

Mostly agree.

Suppose the FA cup is all that distinguishes his Wigan reign, plus some miracle relegation escapes...

Never felt convinced, as the Moyes ' golden handshake ' masked his defensive weaknesses. I do remember us flattening Lille 3-0 away and enjoying his attacking play but the demise against Sunderland and his departure down the tunnel said it all.

He cannot build a side.

Can't be bothered to read anything but the last few of the 1100+ pages. Has Mancini (at Zenit) been discussed and discounted?

Knows the league and the north-west of England, took a dysfunctional City from the bottom 3 to champions within a couple of seasons, albeit with a far better and (priced relative to others around them) more expensive squad, but he did it - plenty of others haven't. He'd be a safer bet than the likes of Fonseca or Tuchel for me, especially if he got backed by Moshiri.

Can't be bothered to read anything but the last few of the 1100+ pages. Has Mancini (at Zenit) been discussed and discounted?

Knows the league and the north-west of England, took a dysfunctional City from the bottom 3 to champions within a couple of seasons, albeit with a far better and (priced relative to others around them) more expensive squad, but he did it - plenty of others haven't. He'd be a safer bet than the likes of Fonseca or Tuchel for me, especially if he got backed by Moshiri.

Terrible manager. If he wasn't a good looking Italian then no-one would be arsed with him

Emery will be available shortly presuming PSG can't overcome Real in the UCL 2nd leg.

His options would seem quite limited at home but I imagine he won't be short of offers. He might prefer to return to being a big fish in a smaller pond.

Not sure if I like taking managers on the rebound as it were, but he would offer far more than any of the most recent incumbents imo.
He'd be better than Fonseca. Highly doubt he'd entertain us at this point though.

Fancy going from Dani Alves to Coco Martina, and Neymar and Draxler to Calvert Lewin and Bolasie.

Indeed but no manager is duty-bound to play them.

My concern with Emery would be that he probably saw his next move after PSG as being either Barca or Real Madrid or similar and whilst Madrid may be looking for a new manager in the summer also; I can't see Emery being a candidate after a perceived failure at PSG, however unfair that is. I could be wrong of course.

I have no issue with someone taking our job and having bigger plans for themselves than us, but any manager looking to use us as a springboard would probably have to achieve at least one Top 4 finish and/or a trophy.

In all honesty that would be one hell of an ask within a three year contract and for a guy in a hurry. I think this is also what puts the likes of Tuchel off us.

For me this is what makes Fonseca more of a realistic possibility - he is still making his name and whilst we as fans always have high ambitions, the external expectations on him wouldn't be as great and his career at this early stage could survive a period where he wasn't seen to achieve very much by the standards of our peers.

What I want from the next manager is that, over the period of a contract, he does the heavy lifting in terms of sorting out the squad and gives us a recognisable way to play and stability. He must at least have us on the fringes of the top 6 so that both he and the club want to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.