News of Ex Players

John Bailey really seemed to enjoy his time with us, almost like a fan who made it from nowhere. If I am honest he was perhaps the poorest player in that FA Cup final squad and we couldn't argue Van was a big step up for not a lot of money really.
No. John wasn’t a fan who made it from nowhere, he was a Liverpool fan, his brother Tony, a lovely lad, was a bitter blue who wouldn’t give you an inch arguing over Everton/ Liverpool, but that’s the way I was with him, died young Tony, well missed.

A true story about John, after he scored that own goal at Anfield for the Reds, he came in The Goblin, a pub just off Islington, the next day and this fella said to him “ I saw you on the East Lancs Road last night” John said “ Wasn’t me mate, I was in town all night” The fella wouldn’t have it and said “ It was you I saw on the East Lancs, Younwere heading for Liverpool, now get out of that”

A very talented player. He'd made his name as a No.10; but as with others, Moyes decided to always play him out of his best position. In his case he was played left wing, and Moyes made him keep very close to the touchline.
Billy Let Down, “ A very talented player” never saw that player to be honest, he would have been great at walking football, one of the slowest players I ever saw in a Blue shirt, cost a lot of money at that time as well.

Not really 'News'. I just didn't want to start a separate thread :)

...remember being at that game very well, i think Rooney had not long gone and it seemed like we’d produced another diamond. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be but the lad has had a lengthy career in the game which seemed unlikely given his brittle knees.

i think we all remember him fondly.

...remember being at that game very well, i think Rooney had not long gone and it seemed like we’d produced another diamond. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be but the lad has had a lengthy career in the game which seemed unlikely given his brittle knees.

Nice fella too, saw him recently in Formby with his young lad at the shops, he actually thanked me for remembering him :)

It was unfortunate the way his Everton career went. I really liked the lad and had high hopes for him. Tell what though, those fifteen years seem to have flown by :(

Ah, but for those accursed injuries. I thought he was a whole hearted player with more than just a little bit of craft as well as graft. A good reader of the game for someone so young at the time and a good leader of the line and I hoped he was going to have a good long career wit us.

...never a truer word, Matey, so glad many are now realising what a fabulous footballer he was.
I'm not stalking you today, honest, but I have so few occasions where I can actually reply. Such is life.
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment as I thought Ossie had a sublime first touch. His reading of the game and intelligent runs and passes and attitude were never in doubt to me, but we all have our preferences I suppose.
As an aside, I CANNOT understand any fan criticising one of our own players. Hardly helps them, does it.Jeez, I'm not trying to make out I'm a Soopa Bloo or anything, but some of the criticism is beyond acceptance. Just as it is to namecall other posters with differing opinions

Ah, but for those accursed injuries. I thought he was a whole hearted player with more than just a little bit of craft as well as graft. A good reader of the game for someone so young at the time and a good leader of the line and I hoped he was going to have a good long career wit us.

....yep, he had a really competitive edge to his game aligned with physicality that was always going to trouble defenders. Unfortunately the ‘glass knees’ were already problematic coming through the Academy, so he’s done really well to have such a lengthy career in the game.