New PL rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
A countdown clock would slow things down more as the players injured wont feel as rushed by time ticking away when down on the floor. Also, if your team is winning but shattered & holding on for points this could get abused for extra rest. The fans will quieten down & the pace of the game dwindles away too.
I also like the anticipation of seeing the extra time added on then having a moan about it. It all adds to the flavour of the game & new rules will only sanitise it.
You moan about fair play etc & time wasting but its what makes the game & i certainly dont want a boring sport.

Why would that be the case?

if the clock stopped every time the ball went out of play?

I don't think throw ins and corners etc are added to injury time unless severe, if the clock stopped every time it did every game would have about 40 mins of injury time

a website did an anaylsis of the world cup and worked out the ball was in play on average for 55mins per game

If a player goes down with a head injury or clutching his face/head and medical treatment on the pitch is required then he has to go off for a Head Impact Assessment for 10 mins, during which a sub is allowed. If he comes back sub goes off.Another rule adapted from rugby, the intent would be to stop the fake injuries , if they get up not requiring medical attention fine play goes on . If they require attention then they get a proper head assessment for concussion . May not happen often , probabably only to RS goalkeepers.

haha it would be like American football, 60 minute games that take 4 hours

Not really - under the current rules, the ball is in play an average of 55 to 60 mins, so in theory it shouldn't make a huge difference if we just had a game clock with 2 x 30 minute halves instead, but time wasting etc would be nullified

I hate the rule that because the player has received treatment they have to leave the pitch and can't return until the ref calls him, this is usually as you're on the attack, get brought down, have to leave the pitch and miss the free kick for your team while in advantage but the player that committed the foul remains on giving the offending team an extra player advantage

A countdown clock would slow things down more as the players injured wont feel as rushed by time ticking away when down on the floor. Also, if your team is winning but shattered & holding on for points this could get abused for extra rest. The fans will quieten down & the pace of the game dwindles away too.
I also like the anticipation of seeing the extra time added on then having a moan about it. It all adds to the flavour of the game & new rules will only sanitise it.
You moan about fair play etc & time wasting but its what makes the game & i certainly dont want a boring sport.
Couldn't disagree more really. Genuinely injured players should have as long as they need to recover, feeling otherwise is borderline sadist to be honest. The issue is with people who aren't really injured staying down to run the clock down. If the clock stops then they won't do it because it will have no benefit. It won't be abused because I can assure you that a manager would be absolutely apoplectic if you tried to use it for 'extra rest' and the opposition scored in the time that was effectively 'added on' (the clock wouldn't stop every time the ball went out of play, only for an elongated stoppage).

I can tell you now, if we hadn't scored in the 88th minute and the 4th official had said there were only 4 minutes of injury time on sunday i'd have been furious. There should have been 6/7 by rights, and i'm sick of referees just making up numbers which I don't believe they could justify if asked to.

Last edited:
The PL may bring in a rule that stops injury time subs, good or bad?? Any other rules you'd like to see? Personally I'd like to see a rule come in that if a player goes to ground "injured" the physio can come on while play continues so the game doesn't stop. It would put an end to fake injury and kicking the ball out of play.
I'd rather they focussed on getting VAR in place for all matches. Seems a waste to focus on injury time when the refs have ballsed up the previous 90 minutes.

Why they don't introduce challenges a la NFL, I'll never know!

wow what another brilliant law change which will improve the game for the better! ffs, what a bunch of moros, there's so much wrong with the game yet they continue to implement stupid effing rules, just to make them look like they're busy. How on earth can they come up with an idea like this? it's so effing stupid.

Substituions aren't the problem, it's the referees not acting on time wasting and as i constantly state, if you just stop the clock, nobody will waste time.

Like people have alluded to, that watford game, 12 mins injury time. That's effectively 78 mins into the game, So effectively teams can't make changes for the last 12 minutes! What a stupid suggestion. Imagine if there's a 30 minute injury, teams won't be able to make a sub after 2/3rd of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.