New Everton Stadium Discussion

I think they should really emphasise it's 4 distinct stands rather than a bowl. That's my point there. The sides are filled in, but for example, we don't refer to Old Trafford as a bowl even tho the 4 corners are filled in.

I'm not saying emperors new clothes, and I'm sure it will be amazing when finished, but that away end is not exciting at all.

Technically, Old Trafford has been a bowl stadium since it opened in 1910, with no open corners. Of course in those days 3 sides were terracing and one stand in a continuous bowl.

Following the Taylor report it essentially became a single tier seated bowl. The upper tiers were later added on 3 sides with the northern corners completing upper tier horse-shoe.

Technically, Old Trafford has been a bowl stadium since it opened in 1910, with no open corners. Of course in those days 3 sides were terracing and one stand in a continuous bowl.

Following the Taylor report it essentially became a single tier seated bowl. The upper tiers were later added on 3 sides with the northern corners completing upper tier horse-shoe.
Definitely it's technically a bowl. I'd agree there. I just can't remember the 'theatre of dreams' ©️ being referred to as a bowl by Manchester United when talking about their own stadium.

It's not meant to be the basis of an argument. It's just noting how the clubs own language and photographs has contributed to the internet pile on.
No one gives a gnats chuff what jealous fans of other clubs think mate.

People getting hung up over the term "bowl" need to give their heads a wobble , it's a Football stadium built for sightlines & atmosphere.
It's the best in business ( or will be ) take no notice of the envious idiots.

Definitely it's technically a bowl. I'd agree there. I just can't remember the 'theatre of dreams' ©️ being referred to as a bowl by Manchester United when talking about their own stadium.

Bottom line is we don't care what all the * clubs fans say. The proof is in the pudding during the first match and what it feels like when it's full of Evertonians.

I think most people will underestimate the sheer size of our stadium until they have been to it. In videos and pictures it doesn't look that big but all of us who have stood in front of it know.

No one gives a gnats chuff what jealous fans of other clubs think mate.

People getting hung up over the term "bowl" need to give their heads a wobble , it's a Football stadium built for sightlines & atmosphere.
It's the best in business ( or will be ) take no notice of the envious idiots.
Defo, but once again its up to us fans to fight the good fight. Even with a gorgeous stadium being built, they're downplaying it for some reason by using generic terms.

Bottom line is we don't care what all the * clubs fans say. The proof is in the pudding during the first match and what it feels like when it's full of Evertonians.

I think most people will underestimate the sheer size of our stadium until they have been to it. In videos and pictures it doesn't look that big but all of us who have stood in front of it know.
100%.

I remember feeling slightly underwhelmed when I saw it for the first time in autumn 2022, before any of the roof steel had gone up.

When I next saw it, summer 2023, I was staggered at how immense it was.

That twin structure - the brick warehouse with this huge steel and aluminium roof bursting out of it - make it seem absolutely colossal in person.

I think seeing so much drone footage of it, as opposed to ground-level footage, makes it deceptive if you’ve not been.

Opposition fans are going to be taken aback by how imposing it is on their first visit.

*the proof of the pudding is in the eating

soz but it grinds me every time I hear/see that

Totally agree. I always have to look for lorries, JCBs and even people to enable me to make a comparison to the size of the stadium.

ha, still people from other clubs moaning about the inside of BMD.
One lad saying 'sure the exterior looks great but the interior looks like a bundes league stadium'...
Man, if you told me 10 years ago Everton would build a stadium on the Mersey with an iconic exterior and bundes league interior, I'd probably have laughed at you.
Cant wait to hear the sound created by this place. I think it's going to be next level!

I went to a couple of matches in Germany last year. One at Schalke and the other at Fortuna Dusseldorf. Both those stadiums inside are very similar to ours, both in layout and capacity. Take it from me, the view was fantastic, and the atmosphere at the Schalke game was incredible.
So if some people are saying that the interior looks like a Bundesliga stadium, then bring it on I say. I certainly hope so. 🤞

I went to a couple of matches in Germany last year. One at Schalke and the other at Fortuna Dusseldorf. Both those stadiums inside are very similar to ours, both in layout and capacity. Take it from me, the view was fantastic, and the atmosphere at the Schalke game was incredible.
So if some people are saying that the interior looks like a Bundesliga stadium, then bring it on I say. I certainly hope so. 🤞
Yup, used to live in Freiburg. Went to a few games in their old place, would love to go to a game in their new ground! It does look similar to Schalke, great!

I have also been to several German stadia. The two you chose to visit are quite similar to BMD (although Shalke is over 60k) and both have a closing roof, which greatly enhances atmosphere. Shalke also has a moving pitch, meaning it can host large concerts all year round. So they do have that extra level of functionality and revenue generation. Externally both these stadia are generally featureless. German practicality recognises that the internal arrangement is the real defining architecture of any stadium.

I don't think it's unfair, or necessarily even a criticism to describe BMD as "basic" in terms of its internal layout. The only way it could be more simple in configuration, would be if it was a single tier all around (say St Mary’s with an extra 25 rows). The chosen two tier arrangement, with no over-hanging tiers to maximise capacity for footprint, is structurally the next simplest arrangement. Then of course you move on to the more complex multiple tiered stadia with several levels of corporate in their own dedicated over-lapping tier(s) and perhaps 60 - 100+ boxes, closing roofs, moving/folding pitches etc.

At a cost of £750m, some observers might've been expecting at least one statement stand, set over 3 distinct tiers with more boxes, or some of those other features that increase functionality and amenity.

Where would Mr Drone be without David Badcock?

That fella seems to have all the answers.
Great work again from Mr Badcock. I must admit to spending quite a lot of time looking at the planning docs in the earlier stages of the project, but there's so many it can get a bit tiresome even for a fan boy like myself, so it's great that David has taken the time to put these things together and then shared through Nick. Gives a good insight into the detail.

Cheers to you Mr Badcock 👏👍