New Everton Stadium Discussion

Not great PR. Don't really see why this guy's so keen to implicate EFC rather than directing his ire at LOR but a statement from the club distancing themselves from it might be needed. Taking a moral stance and taking our business elsewhere would likely be costly, delay the project and also may breech contracts.
I accept that in an ideal world we would want to be doing things the 'right' way, but let's face it if we started delving into the business of football clubs looking for things that are morally questionable then I'm sure we'd find much worse than this. If Man City can be owned by a state that has a horrendous human rights record without any great scrutiny then I think asking us to be the workers rights police because we've engaged a market leading contractor who isn't playing ball with the unions is a stretch.

Can anyone confirm or deny if Everton is responsible for not allowing local only in for tender?

From a procurement perspective, allowing local only allows price inflation due to no competition.

It was brought to the attention about 2 seasons ago that Man City and West Ham work on tickets sold and tickets given away to schools etc rather than those that attend. So West Ham or Man City could have 40,000 through the turnstiles yet had 50,000 tickets sold/given away and they would state attendance as 50,000. Forget where I read it but it explained away the empty seats at said grounds

The actual attendances are far less than the published figures. Anyone who has ever been to the Etihad or just watched on TV will know that.

Freedom of information inquiries to local authorities and policehave shown that the real average attendance for a sample of matches was 14% less than the published figures.

Ofcourse, given the wealth of their owners and the fact that the stadium was a freeby means they can continue to build. They can afford to stack'em high and sell them cheap. The normal financial model doesn't apply to them.They are also generating new fans all the time and in years to come they'll all want a ticket. Everton and Liverpool's averages were very similar in the mid 80s... by the 90s onwards, that generation brought up on the success of the previous 20yrs had all grown up and wanted to go. We're nowhere near them now.

From what I understand, LOR have a large core workforce that they utilise continually on major construction jobs, e.g. many on site now have either come from the Manchester Trams contract or the Royal as both of them are winding down. Seems if you are reliable and a decent worker then you can have a good and rewarding career with them. They certainly have no problems in recruiting

From what I understand, LOR have a large core workforce that they utilise continually on major construction jobs, e.g. many on site now have either come from the Manchester Trams contract or the Royal as both of them are winding down. Seems if you are reliable and a decent worker then you can have a good and rewarding career with them. They certainly have no problems in recruiting
I think the point is the practice of blacklisting union members.... not weather or not employees are reliable or not.

The actual attendances are far less than the published figures. Anyone who has ever been to the Etihad or just watched on TV will know that.

Freedom of information inquiries to local authorities and policehave shown that the real average attendance for a sample of matches was 14% less than the published figures.

Ofcourse, given the wealth of their owners and the fact that the stadium was a freeby means they can continue to build. They can afford to stack'em high and sell them cheap. The normal financial model doesn't apply to them.They are also generating new fans all the time and in years to come they'll all want a ticket. Everton and Liverpool's averages were very similar in the mid 80s... by the 90s onwards, that generation brought up on the success of the previous 20yrs had all grown up and wanted to go. We're nowhere near them now.

Did Utd get found out lying over there attendences think it was somthing to do with how many bizzies they had on match day when the real numbers where published they where well down

I think the point is the practice of blacklisting union members.... not weather or not employees are reliable or not.
A practise which cost construction companies millions in the recent past. Doesn’t take away from the fact that LOR have a very loyal workforce, who seem happy with work conditions. I worked on the piping and mechanical side of construction for 30 years including circa 50-60 shutdowns. These are very labour intensive and from what I saw the only black-listing came from supervision who refused to have their lives made more difficult through hiring people who would cause ”problems”. I also witnessed several instances of predictions of the workforce being cabined up within a week coming to pass when certain people were employed. Yes union members, but some just want to agitate. Sit in the cabin for a week and then get a settlement to get the full weeks pay to go back out.

Did Utd get found out lying over there attendences think it was somthing to do with how many bizzies they had on match day when the real numbers where published they where well down

Perhaps yes, but there are a few differences in that OT is a much larger stadium, much poorer team performances over recent times plus well documented fan discontent and protest campaigns. Man Utd are at a bit of a low ebb, whereas Man City are at the absolute pinnacle of their history.

But you're right, it seems to be common practice at some clubs.

A practise which cost construction companies millions in the recent past. Doesn’t take away from the fact that LOR have a very loyal workforce, who seem happy with work conditions. I worked on the piping and mechanical side of construction for 30 years including circa 50-60 shutdowns. These are very labour intensive and from what I saw the only black-listing came from supervision who refused to have their lives made more difficult through hiring people who would cause ”problems”. I also witnessed several instances of predictions of the workforce being cabined up within a week coming to pass when certain people were employed. Yes union members, but some just want to agitate. Sit in the cabin for a week and then get a settlement to get the full weeks pay to go back out.

You must have witnessed some decent walkouts in your time.

Best I got told was at Drax power station in the 90's it was a glorious sunny day and a walkout was staged due to running out of Cornbeef butties at the Canteen.

Blacklisting is blacklisting... and LoR have a poor reputation for it. No-one should be blacklisted for being in a union.