New Everton Stadium Discussion

Around 2014 I was working offshore on the construction of the Gwynt y Môr wind farm off the north Welsh coast, and on a couple of occasions we had a port call in one of the Gladstone docks. I remember standing on the back deck looking south down along the Mersey at all the absolute nothingness that was happening dockside, and thinking to myself what an absolute waste of an area it was, and what a fantastic location somewhere down there would be for major redevelopment and for a new Everton stadium.

Genuinely can’t believe that 6-7 years later we’re so close to actually getting planning permission granted for it.

Can you imagine me winning the jackpot on the lotto please mate :)

In my book, its very straight forward. The docks were key in securing Liverpool as a major port back in the day; without them, modern Liverpool looks a lot different.

But their days of doing that are long gone, hence the stretch of derelict ones we have all become accustomed to.

So their heritage should be respected by being used again, to help the city in the way them being built in the first place did.
There were dozens, if not 100s of you might think equally important Victorian cotton mills in Lancashire, yet they didn't preserve every one, they kept a couple(?) of small working examples
Same around the Country with iron foundries, coal mines, pumping stations etc, etc.
The Albert Dock tells you everything you need to know about 7miles of docks and 150yrs of waterfront history.

If, as I hope we are, going to front up for the pumping tower and hexagonal(?) clock as well...how many pounds of flesh do they want...for not one brass wazoo invested by them.

Around 2014 I was working offshore on the construction of the Gwynt y Môr wind farm off the north Welsh coast, and on a couple of occasions we had a port call in one of the Gladstone docks. I remember standing on the back deck looking south down along the Mersey at all the absolute nothingness that was happening dockside, and thinking to myself what an absolute waste of an area it was, and what a fantastic location somewhere down there would be for major redevelopment and for a new Everton stadium.

Genuinely can’t believe that 6-7 years later we’re so close to actually getting planning permission granted for it.
got to think of the dogwalkers, kite fliers and Jeff from West Derby though mate.

There were dozens, if not 100s of you might think equally important Victorian cotton mills in Lancashire, yet they didn't preserve every one, they kept a couple(?) of small working examples
Same around the Country with iron foundries, coal mines, pumping stations etc, etc.
The Albert Dock tells you everything you need to know about 7miles of docks and 150yrs of waterfront history.

If, as I hope we are, going to front up for the pumping tower and hexagonal(?) clock as well...how many pounds of flesh do they want...for not one brass wazoo invested by them.
They'll probably want Everton to clear the National debt as well mate.

Does anybody know just how powerful are these people from UNESCO, are they powerful enough to stop the building from going ahead.

No.

The Council won't vote against planning permission, following that recommendation by the Planning Officer.

And there is no way Jenrick will block development of this nature in a Northern City because of an international body like UNESCO, especially as it is MHCLG policy to go with the local planning decision.

No.

The Council won't vote against planning permission, following that recommendation by the Planning Officer.

And there is no way Jenrick will block development of this nature in a Northern City because of an international body like UNESCO, especially as it is MHCLG policy to go with the local planning decision.

I don't think Jenrick will ultimately block this in a million years.

What I would not put past him/the tories though is to call this in to then approve it and take the credit for enabling the "northern powerhouse" policy that is a load of rubbish.

Does anybody know just how powerful are these people from UNESCO, are they powerful enough to stop the building from going ahead.

Doubt they are powerful at all. They are just a quango. No matter how powerful they think they are if we (city council) decide to abandon the "crown" of have a World Heritage Site status then their relevance ceases to exist. They can and are opposing which could lead to the tory government rejecting it but probably it will pass. I just wish we had got rid of the status because it holds the city back and the city council let it happen. Look at Manchester and look at Liverpool. They're years ahead of us.

Bear in mind the stadium has had to shrink in height to accommodate the WHS. The Liverpool Waters are all reduced in height. Yet this is derelect docks why to the council keep bending over backwards for an arbitrary title?

Last edited:
If they are looking solely at what will be good for the area, to invigorate a dilapidated part of Liverpool, good for jobs, enhance the waterfront there is no way it shouldn't get through on Tuesday. Has anything in concrete been put in place for what will happen to the old stadium site, heard different things but not much really.

Doubt they are powerful at all. They are just a quango. No matter how powerful they think they are if we (city council) decide to abandon the "crown" of have a World Heritage Site status then their relevance ceases to exist. They can and are opposing which could lead to the tory government rejecting it but probably it will pass. I just wish we had got rid of the status because it holds the city back and the city council let it happen. Look at Manchester and look at Liverpool. They're years ahead of us.

Bear in mind the stadium has had to shrink in height to accommodate the WHS. The Liverpool Waters are all reduced in height. Yet this is derelect docks why to the council keep bending over backwards for an arbitrary title?
Additionally, The Royal Liver Buildings and the Cunard Building were both built on historic docks, but in the name of progress...