New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's failing to get top 7
I would say top 6, but the other issue is if we were say mid table for any extended point in the season that might be enough to get him canned.

Dont for a minute assume he gets a full 12 months, particularly if we lose in a derby heavily.

If we're stuck with him then so be it. I'll continue to be as supportive of the club at the match (whenever we're allowed back in anyway) as possible and back everyone, including Benitez as much as I don't like it. He gets one chance with me, one single season and unless he does something special in that one single season then I want him gone at the earliest possible opportunity.

I think you're overstating it, I know plenty of Blues who think Rafael is a good manager and would be prepared to move on. On the other hand I know plenty who don't consider him to be a good manager, but would still be prepared to accept him and try to move on (I include myself in this category). There is obviously a core who will be strongly opposed, but I don't see a 'major rupture'.

The main issue for me is not Rafael but how the club is run, many years ago we were admired for our solid governance and sensible approach, much in the way Arsenal were under Dein, those days seem a distant memory now and for me personally that is the point of disconnect. I'm losing interest because of how I perceive the club, Rafael, Fat Sam, Carlo, none of that really matters for me in the context of what is going on behind the scenes, I just don't 'get' Everton these days.
All those issues are inter-related. The governance of the club IS a major area of concern and we've reached a tipping point with this appointment.

Il;ve said already the vast majority will initially and grudgingly accept it, but it will still have the potential to explode when Benitez fails and the board dont react but double down...which they will likely do when the first crisis of his tenure occurs.

To believe the fan/owner relationship isn't anything other than over at this point is for the birds.

you mean like the absolute waste men that walked around proclaiming ‘Kenwright OUT!’ About 10 years ago? Blue Union or whatever that was?

Tell me how successful that campaign was again…

That wasn't a protest that was a couple of weirdos moaning. Also he was the clubs owner, its not as easy to to get rid of one of them as opposed to a manager. An owner can sack a manager, he isn't going to sack himself.

Actually, it worked with Peter Johnson though.

I guess all we can do is hope it works out. Shouting for him to be sacked because you don't like him is pointless and hate to say unfair.

If the FSW is appointed, it goes against every instinct in my body - for all of the reasons already posted in here.

However... if rumours of multiple meetings are true, it could be that the board have used them to tell him how it must be if he signs, to ensure he acts in harmony with the DOF and other coaching staff, and to script his acceptance speech for the doubtful fans.

I will be listening very closely to what the board and the man himself say in the first exchanges, and would want to hear that he gets the criticism of him and will do all he can to turn it around.

But if it's the usual platitudes and excuses -'great record of winning trophies, success at the highest level, small club was a misquote' etc then we can be certain that the owner doesn't give a flying one about the fans, and it will, indeed, get toxic.

I think that’s it. They aren’t going to take a risk on an young manager. We were on a hiding to nothing when we appointed Moyes. Things a bit different now.

Yep its easy moaning at the owners but if we appointed Potter and were sat 15th/16th in the table come December our arses would be twitching whilst work on BMD was ongoing.

Thats the reality sadly - we just have to hope Benitez can turn back the clock and get a tune out the squad similiar to Moyes at WHU.

A lot will depend on Brands and recruitment as like I said Guardiola would struggle with this squad as it currently is.

That wasn't a protest that was a couple of weirdos moaning. Also he was the clubs owner, its not as easy to to get rid of one of them as opposed to a manager. An owner can sack a manager, he isn't going to sack himself.

Actually, it worked with Peter Johnson though.
And it would be the same all over again.

the question is, what does doing badly amount to? I would suggest doing badly for the FSW would be considered perfectly acceptable for the likes of say Ancelotti in the eyes of the fans.

Absolutely

But they should be aware of that before appointing Benitez. The results have to be significantly better to be acceptable when you put the fan base through the embarassment of such an appointment.

Only top 6 would be acceptable for him. That's not probably realistic, but that's their own fault.

My only concern re. any new Manager is how we get around FFP. Wanting 'unlimited' funds surely cannot be a pre-requisite if we are hamstrung by financial restrictions otherwise Uncle Alister would just sign off on £200m plus and say 'there you go my boy, get us the best in the World...and keep the change'.

Presumably, we need to offload all the deadwood, first? This is a serious question as I really do not understand the ramifications of FFP so please feel free to enlighten me.
That’s exactly it. We can’t offer Conte or someone of his ilk the sort of resources he would want to challenge for the top spots. I’m not sure how FFP will operate in the post-COVID aftermath but I imagine we will be limited to some degree transfer budget wise.

Yep its easy moaning at the owners but if we appointed Potter and were sat 15th/16th in the table come December our arses would be twitching whilst work on BMD was ongoing.

Thats the reality sadly - we just have to hope Benitez can turn back the clock and get a tune out the squad. A lot will depend on Brands and recruitment as like I said Guardiola would struggle with this squad as it currently is.
Brands is into his second contract now.

We are making no progress under him.

What makes you think he will turn this around ? Genuine question btw.

Nobody is going to be a “guaranteed success”. It doesn’t work like that as anybody with half a working brain knows.

However, to go for the 1 manager who completely causes unrest within the club and causes instant anarchy in the fan base is an absolutely ludicrous business decision.
It’s almost like they are doing it on purpose.

The irony being, this manager is also way past his best and yesterday’s news.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100% THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.