New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough mate - all I would say is if you was a Christian/Muslim whatever would you give up your faith just because you dont like the local priest who runs your church?

End of the day Evertons our religion and you pay to watch the 11 blokes on the pitch - I never give the fella in the dug out a 2nd glance when im at the game.

We should all want him to succeed here as the club succeeds and RS heads explode.

Didn't you call for Ancelotti to be sacked last year! lol

I wish this narrative would hurry up and die off. “4 wins” is 12 points which is a lot, we weren’t anywhere near top 4 and didn’t deserve to be.

We were also 4 losses away from dropping from 10th to 11th which is a really weird stat.

I wanted I to prove we were 4 losses away from relegation but sadly it was not meant to be! You are spot on though 4 wins is a million miles away.

And yet everyone can see this but they press ahead.
Are they not tired yet of making themselves look amateurish enough?
This 100% cements Everton as the laughing stock of the PL.

Who should the club get mate who will be a guaranteed success?

I see a lot of people moaning about Moshiri etc at the moment but Conte aside there really isn't many good managers out there who would take this average squad of players into the promise land.

Fair enough mate - all I would say is if you was a Christian/Muslim whatever would you give up your faith just because you dont like the local priest who runs your church?

End of the day Evertons our religion and you pay to watch the 11 blokes on the pitch - I never give the fella in the dug out a 2nd glance when im at the game.

We should all want him to succeed here as the club succeeds and RS heads explode.
Let's not compare football to religion. In times of desperate need when you need faith, its not everton I would turn to to help me.

Football isn't a religion.

I just fundamentally disagree to be honest. Getting 59 points playing like we did last year isn’t sustainable, and as I’ve said a million times before, the amount of points you get in any given season is only relevant in that year. League position is a much better indicator because it shows where you are in relation to your peers. As you said yourself, we’ve been overtaken by other teams, and that’s partly because we’ve taken a disjointed and short term view to progression. In my opinion we need to take a longer term view and bring in a manager who will help us to actually progress over time, instead of wanting to sign a load of 30 year olds to eke out a few extra wins in the first season and then having to start all over again. Luckily for you, the club evidently agrees with you, so I look forward to us treading water for a couple of years and then being in massive trouble when moshiri finally gets sick of having to buy an entirely new team every summer.
We did that but then allowed someone with a cup and a relegation on his cv to come in and rip it up.
Just don't think the fans are willing to wait another 5 years to get us back to where we were 8 years ago but I may be wrong.

Didn't you call for Ancelotti to be sacked last year! lol

No I said he should have got next season but I wouldn't have been bothered if he was sacked as the writing was on the wall for next season if everyone was honest with themselves watching those performances.

I want Everton to succeed - if a manager comes in I'll back them until they have shown they aint good enough to take us forward which for me I'll pretty much form an opinion over a quicker period than most who are more patient than me - but im not going to actively want a new manager to fail from the start just because I dont like them whats the point in that when the club and us all suffer?

Who should the club get mate who will be a guaranteed success?

I see a lot of people moaning about Moshiri etc at the moment but Conte aside there really isn't many good managers out there who would take this average squad of players into the promise land.

What a time to be alive when ive become a happy clapper lol
Nobody is going to be a “guaranteed success”. It doesn’t work like that as anybody with half a working brain knows.

However, to go for the 1 manager who completely causes unrest within the club and causes instant anarchy in the fan base is an absolutely ludicrous business decision.
It’s almost like they are doing it on purpose.

The irony being, this manager is also way past his best and yesterday’s news.

I find some of your comments on players astonishing. Let me comment on the players you singled out:
Keane; England international, whom Ancelotti (a decent judge) rated. Improved last season after a second season wobble.
Coleman; A leader in the estimation of anyone who's worked with him. Even at this stage in his career is capable of making a difference in team effectiveness. Less able than he was to get up and down, but never downs tools.
Sigurdsson; I am very critical of him, because of his one-paced jogging around the pitch. Covers ground, but doesn't effect play enough. Still a creator, though, and has a skill-set that belies your donkey tag.
Davies; Ancelotti was extremely negative about him at first. But admitted he is a worker and someone who is always striving to improve. Again, the word from people who know and work with him is that he's a really good pro, if not the scouse Messi.
Gomes; On his day shows great technique and ball-holding. Slow on the turn, and his recovery pace, never a strength, has reduced since injury. Could be a stand-out in a slower league, but nobody has ever criticised his professionalism.

That was your next point, where you accused the whole squad of unprofessionalism. Really? Based on what? Do you see them in training? Do you see how they eat and live? I am always amazed how people can slag strangers with a public profile and accuse them of things of which they can have no knowledge.

I'd agree with a lot of your points on the management options, although Benitez is suspect in terms of temperament. He will go to war in public with his bosses, and constantly falls out with lots of people. But he is strong on discipline. It would still stick in my craw to support him, but that's what I'd do if appointed.

But rather than damn our whole squad, wouldn't it be more constructive to highlight leadership amongst the players as the missing ingredient? We're crying out for a Peter Reid, or an Andy Gray; someone to inspire and galvanise the players. I think we have a lot of nice, polite young men in the squad, and could do with more aggression and fire. But your character assassinations here just go too far for me. And maybe the leaders we need are there, waiting to be unleashed. Godfrey? Allan? Even the Tom Davies whom you clearly despise.

No manager could possibly follow your advice and regard (or maybe throw out?!) the whole squad as 'poor players'. There will need to be a mixture of coached improvement, positional/mindset changes, targeted replacement and tactical tweaks. I don't underestimate the challenge, hence I would favour someone more like Galtier or even Potter, noted for player development. But I couldn't let your damning post pass any more than I can always keep quiet when some foam-flecked fool next to me at the match kicks off on a player whose skills and athleticism he could only match in his dreams.

I disagree with all of this but we’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m not sure what piping down any critic of the players achieves. They’ve just played a whole season without any fans at Goodison requiring shushing for being negative and it made no difference whatsoever.

Ancelotti had most of those players listed in the best form of their careers and they struggled to maintain even average form over a whole season.

I don’t think anything better can be coached from them. They’re just not very good.

It's crazy for all those reasons.

I think the only rational reason is that he's a defensive minded coach and we wont see too many losses. We just wont see too many entertaining wins.

It's a "get us to a new stadium safely" appointment.

It's still crazy in that regard. There's a ton of managers who would be considered fairly safe and wouldn't have the fans on their back from day one.

Even unimaginative names like Santo or Potter, maybe even Howe, would be reasonably assured of safety given backing and arguably would build something a little more attractive. Can't understand the mentality of making rods for their own back with this.

It's crazy for all those reasons.

I think the only rational reason is that he's a defensive minded coach and we wont see too many losses. We just wont see too many entertaining wins.

It's a "get us to a new stadium safely" appointment.
but it's simply not a safety first appointment - in fact its actually the riskiest appointment you could think of, because the fans will be baying for his blood from the get-go.

He will be fortunate to last the season.

We did that but then allowed someone with a cup and a relegation on his cv to come in and rip it up.
Just don't think the fans are willing to wait another 5 years to get us back to where we were 8 years ago but I may be wrong.
We're just going full circle. The point being made was that if the club made a good appointment who they were confident could progress us, and made it clear that things weren't going to happen overnight, then I think people would be more patient. Regardless of whether they were or not though, the board would have to hold their nerve and repeat that they were confident we were doing what was expected of us. A major part of the issue we've had is that Moshiri made a big song and dance about us becoming part of the elite, and his willingness to sack managers every time they hit a bad patch has led to people believing we're seriously aiming for the top 4 every year (as evidenced by your own comment of us being close). I think resetting expectations would be beneficial. It won't be popular, of course, but in the long run i think it will help. If we carry on the way we are it's going to take longer than 5 years to get in the top 4 I can be pretty confident in saying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.