New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I wonder what people's reaction would be to Benitez not wanting Ferguson on his staff but imagine that isn't likely at all.

He will be more likely to be conciliatory than any other manager, and generally those in the recent past haven't attempted a shake-up at all.

That's the most curious thing for me about the would-be appointment.

I understand it on a football level, but if they were wanting someone to give the squad and football club a bit of a shake-up in attitude and approach, particularly at an obviously homely, family club like ours, then it's hard to see an ex-Liverpool manager with those comments attached being the one to do it.

He would have to be here years in my opinion to feel confident and emboldened enough to take on the attitude problem that exists here.

I could be wrong, as the outsider of outsiders he may feel in an ideal position to ruffle feathers, and maybe that is Moshiri / Usmanovs thinking, but I just don't see it.

If he stays long enough to get his feet under the desk, I think he is more likely than not to be smothered by the establishment at Everton, which isn't good for us. If he gets the job here, he'll want to stay a while at least.

Yes I've seen this ruffle the feathers line, but I don't really know what that means in a football context? Or know what it means anymore than what Ancelotti did? He is not a young man anymore, and with age comes a different, often less confrontational way of working (which can be good and bad). You can't do everything yourself anymore. I know Alex Ferguson as he got into his 60's increasingly started letting Phelan and Meulensteen run bigger aspects of training and the like and was more of an overseer than a coach. As you get older your value is going to be around tactical acumen in games and a bit of man management than maybe coaching.

Benitez is confrontational but not in the way people think. I really don't think he will be interested in much more than money to spend. People seem to be suggesting he will ensure the club is ran better. For the most part his moans at other clubs have been to run clubs worse, or at least unsustainably for his own ends as opposed to the wider needs of the club.

I don't see any real evidence that he is going to take some holistic, long term, broad view of rebuilding Everton.

In honesty he is going to be a continuation of the good and the bad we have had before. Usmanov/Moshiri will provide him the funds he wants, and he will happily spend them, with seemingly neither really worrying about what happens if/when the funds run out.

How he utilises the Evertonian's around him, but there has been some chat about David Weir coming back as well. It's the sort of thing I can see him doing.

Lampard shouts are truly bizarre. He was only motivated at Chelsea because it’s his club. He was only motivated at Derby because he wanted the Chelsea job so much. I don’t think he’ll be a manager for much longer, destined for a full time punditry career.
If he's going into punditry I hope he takes English lessons

I never said that. I'm simply saying there are 2 sides to every story.

Going to Inter was a huge mistake. They had just won the treble with a team that was on their last legs that performed out of their skin for Mourinho. Its a bit like Utd under SAF, Moyes shouldn't have gone, but you can understand why he did. It would have been bad for anyone who went to Inter. The proof of that is no one has been able to win anything with them until this season. Then again there were no other options.

Chelsea was and wasn't a mistake. I think he had a point to prove there and I think he made it and rectified his time at Inter. Even still he had offers from Atletico, Aston Villa and Schalke.

Going to Madrid was a mistake too as he was on a hiding for nothing. As are most managers. He should have gone to West Ham instead. You can understand why he went to Madrid though.

He should have probably left Newcastle earlier than he did too. No one could have blamed him for walking out after they got relegated, but he obviously wanted to rectify that. He should have joined Southampton when offered the chance.

Why should we hire a manager that made 4 mistakes on the jobs he took? Because going to Everton will be the biggest mistake of them all cause none of us want him here.

Yeah if that loon is right and he wants a job for a decade then why not go there instead of a club that will most likely boo him when he's announced?
Because we will also boo him when he is announced . Obviously with not quite as much venom but we don’t want him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.