New centre half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody until we get a new manager in and we know what system they'll prefer. Mina is clearly our best center half. He makes the player next to him much better and subsequently makes our team much better. But after this latest injury, I think I'm out. Center half is one position that we can't have our top option miss so many games. It throws everything off. Combine that with his high wages, and unfortunately it might be best to sell to the highest bidder this summer.

With that being said, I don't know how much more I can take of Keane...I am so tired of his weak mentality and mistakes. Regarding Holgate the less said the better - he needs to get the boot ASAP. Branthwaite has a ton of potential, I see no reason why he shouldn't start the rest of our season. Godfrey I still believe can be a good option, even if it's in a utility role. His physical talent is absolutely crazy, and it wasn't that long ago we were all saying that he has absolutely everything to play at the top. Sell Holgate in January, sell Keane and probably Mina in the summer. Bring in two more players (one being a ready-made option) to pair with Branthwaite and Godfrey.

As far as names, it's tough. Difficult position to recruit, which makes me tempted to just extend Mina if we can. Sven Botman? Not sure he would consider us but Lille would certainly sell. Newcastle and Milan are both after him at the moment. Matthias Ginter would have been a good one as well - out of contract in the summer but supposedly speaking with Bayern and Inter, so I'm sure we have no shot. His teammate Nico Elvedi would be another good one. We've been rumored to be in on him previously. William Saliba could be interesting too, if Arsenal would be willing to sell.

After some of the defensive shambles we’ve all witnessed this season, the contract situation and fitness issues of Mina and the lack of quality particularly if holgate and Keane it seems like we need a defensive rebuild.
In the transfer thread there seems to be a lot of suggestions that we need an experienced leader type to help guide through Godfrey and Branthwaite but not many suggestions about who we could look at realistically that would come to us and be that defensive leader…. Who do you think we could target?

no a new manager is more important

Can't keep clean sheets. Go back to defending deep. A settled back 4 and we'l be fine in the long run. Need yerry to comeback and stay fit

Couldnt get any deeper for brightons first goal yesterday mate. We were in our own box. They still looked like strangers who hadnt played the game before.
Actualy. Stick them all on the goal line behind pickford for 90 minutes.

Yes we need a dominant leader at centre half it's clear Mina isn't able to stay fit and Keane is a liability. Has to happen in the summer regardless.

We desperately need a cb, may be on loan, need to break that evil partnership of Keane and Godfrey at the back , they are completely unsure of themselves and neither one is a leader.

christensen is out of contract in the summer im not sure he’s signed a new deal. Swap with Digne. I know that would be very difficult to convince. Unless we get lampard in now lol

Not really. For all the talk of innovative high lines at set plays etc, still very much middle of the pack / average.
View attachment 150571

It was better than this half way through a season...

Screenshot_20220103-204441.png

Status
Not open for further replies.