New CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibson is in his way..........

......Lewis Gibson.

Apparently we are getting this 17 year old centre back from Newcastle according to this is futbol website

Think the acquisition of a new centre half rests with who we release. Barkley and McCarthy will raise in excess of 50m. If that is the case, we should be all over Gibson from boro (far and away their stand out player last season) and I'm surprised no-one has been in for him.

...much as I rate Holgate, I have real doubts that he can play as an effective CB in an orthodox flat back four. I have similar reservations about Galloway, both of whom I expect to play most career games at full back. Pennington might develop into an effective central defender given time and experience. He's a very bright young man with a career in the game but I suspect he will need lots of game time elsewhere.

Keane looks a decent acquisition, you have to think he will need a long-term partner although the club might feel adequately served in the short-term with Williams and Jagielka. I get the impression RK isn't convinced with Funes-Mori regardless of the injury. Saying all of that, it would be great to sign VvD, not least because I backed him to be with us when the window closes at 100-1.

I doubt we'll buy another CB in this window unless a real bargain is identified.
The real advantage in buying VVD would be to see the burning of the longboard on the royal blue mersey and the heads rolling down the steps of the loft extension

Think the acquisition of a new centre half rests with who we release. Barkley and McCarthy will raise in excess of 50m. If that is the case, we should be all over Gibson from boro (far and away their stand out player last season) and I'm surprised no-one has been in for him.
I thought he had signed for leicester or have I made this up completely lol

The real advantage in buying VVD would be to see the burning of the longboard on the royal blue mersey and the heads rolling down the steps of the loft extension

..worth £60m alone. Seriously, though, Moshiri and co need to break the status quo in the City and this would be a huge statement on that front. Not since Howard Kendall have we had a regime that won our own city and this has got to be a major objective.

..worth £60m alone. Seriously, though, Moshiri and co need to break the status quo in the City and this would be a huge statement on that front. Not since Howard Kendall have we had a regime that won our own city and this has got to be a major objective.
Exactly
I've been saying all along we need a statement signing
I don't care if he costs 70 m and 200 k a week
Someone that every fan of every club in the country goes
How the hell did Everton manage to sign him.
Someone that once we sign him the pundits and other clubs will go
FFFS this Everton bloke means business this season.
Something to make RAWK burn up
Rooney is good but not the STATEMENT we need
I've been told that maybe next season we can do this.
However I'm a 57 yr old greedy impatient bugger and I want my Everton of the late 60s and mid 80s back
I want that STATEMENT now

Exactly
However I'm a 57 yr old greedy impatient bugger and I want my Everton of the late 60s and mid 80s back

I think a few heads turned with Pickford and Keane, and perhaps some Europeans at Klaassen + Rooney.

But, I agree about a 'head turner', 'shock and awe' signing, just like AC Milan have suddenly signed Bonucci.

Personally I'd like to see a star CB like VVD, Koulibaly or Gimenez.

Failing that someone younger whose expected to move to a Madrid or a Bayern...

Exactly

Pickford, Keane, and Klassen are statements for me.

If we pull off Gylfi that's another.

Giroud would be a huge statement.

Van Dyke probably is not realistic.

Buying the best young talent from smaller clubs is a statement. Buying a smaller club's best player in his prime is a statement. Buying a proven PL striker is a statement.

Buying the best defender from a team one place below us might be too big of an ask.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.