2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even get excited for his sprint chance well non sprint because I seen it was Maupay and thought he's far too effin slow
Same. Yakubu was never the quickest but in a similar situation players would have bounced off him. An asset maupay sadly doesn't posses.

What I'll never understand is not buying someone with same physical attributes as DCL, who he's essentially back up for. Good in air, quick, strong.

We bought the exact opposite.

Decided to throw all our eggs in the DCL basket (who I love as a player but he’s finished playing week in week out).
So if you base your whole team around having a 6 foot 4 striker, you buy a replacement for said striker in a similar mould (someone who can pin defenders and actually win a header)
To then panic sign a replacement who is about a foot smaller (not to mention sign a winger in McNeil for the sole purpose of crossing it into a 6 foot 4 striker) it’s just mind boggling.
How on earth are we meant to work on a style of play and patterns of play if one week we’re playing a 6 foot 4 striker the next a 5 foot 6 striker?? What on earth is the plan
You knew Calvert-Lewin would miss 50% of games so you buy accordingly
I don’t hate Maupay or McNeil as characters, they’re just very very poor Premier League footballers and it’s the clubs fault for buying them. If a Premier League striker in 2022 needs ‘to play alongside someone’, that’s not a good sign on them either. Shown nothing to suggest he would be useful anywhere on the pitch

Poor players in any position have an effect throughout the team. If I was a winger or a midfielder would I be willing to bust a gut getting forward when I know he has little chance of getting onto the ball and even if he does get the ball he hasn’t the ability to retain or distribute it. His inability to lead the line causes problems in other areas, it is the same for O’Neill and Gray, they have no end product. I would have a difficulty in leaving my man in midfield to bomb forward expecting any of those three to find me, I would be thinking if I leave my man they will loose the ball, the other side will move it to the space I have left and it will look like I was at fault. Generally we have average players, in order to win games we need 11 on the pitch all playing, 8/9 average players cannot carry the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.