2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why Maupay has the reputation of being a pest for defenders, not letting them settle and being a bit of a master of the dark arts etc.. Hes just not very good at any part of the game

Had massive Bolasie/Walcott/Iwobi shades to it this transfer. At the start when we were linked with him I was like "Oh no, surely not, he's terrible". When the bid went in it was "The heck? We've just lost Richarlison and this is who we're replacing him with?", and when he was signed it was "Nightmare, this isn't going to work out well", and now it's "Well, that turned out exactly how I thought it would". Just hope he's not another who is loaned out for three years before moving for free at the end of it, but obviously it will.

He`s the new John Spencer.

A player, that didn`t fit into the way Frank wanted the team to play and certainly doesn`t fit into the way Dyche wants the team to play.

As a result,he`s becoming more and more marginalised in the squad.

A truly baffling signing all things considered.

Especially when we needed a forward, to come in, who would hit the ground running, even if it was a someone who was coming to the end of their career.
I mean I HATE John Spencer so I was desperate to avoid this comparison when mates made it to me early on but it’s difficult not to see comparisons. However at least maupay has got on the scoresheet at least once so he beats Spencer there .

I think the difference here is that we got him for cheaper than our usual mistakes and by all accounts his wages are much more reasonable. So he should be a lot easier to move on than say Gomes.
That's a partial saving grace, but I can't imagine he's on less than around 50k and he's got three more years after this, meaning if he is here until the end of his contract it'll have cost us around £30-35m. Madness for somebody no better than an above average Sunday League (probably on account of having a good level of fitness only) player.

That's a partial saving grace, but I can't imagine he's on less than around 50k and he's got three more years after this, meaning if he is here until the end of his contract it'll have cost us around £30-35m. Madness for somebody no better than an above average Sunday League (probably on account of having a good level of fitness only) player.
He only has 2 years left after this so not quite so bad. And the fee could be as low as £12m up front depending on who you believe. So closer to £20m total is possible too. Glass half full, glass half empty.

His effort levels have dropped considerably since he was no longer a regular starter

Kind of tells you all you need to know really

Contrast with Simms, who isn't starting either but is at least doing what's asked of him

Maupay infuriated me against Brentford. I'd stuck up for him a few times, but I was done with him after that

As I've already said, if we can find a buyer for him then move him on and replace him with someone like that Kyogo lad

"Neal Maupay is a good player, but he needs to play off a striker who is bigger and can hold up the ball and work with. If they don't score the goals, they'll be in trouble."

Kevin Campbell knows the score.

Maupay doesn't work in this Everton 11, but hopefully he can still contribute/offer something like vs West Ham to keep us up.

Hated him being linked with us and was genuinely horrified when we bought him because I going tell this is how it was going to go. He's utterly atrocious and we're really going to struggle to offload him. Terrible terrible player.

Status
Not open for further replies.