Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like him, I love having a pure sickening knobhead in the team, not in the Delph way but in the Richarlison way. Teams hate playing against players like that. At only just 26 as well, consistently scoring 8-10 goals in the league, he could be a great asset for us. I think even if Dom was fully fit this would be an incredibly smart transfer.
Thought he was 24?

Edit - nope, just checked. 26

I really like him, I love having a pure sickening knobhead in the team, not in the Delph way but in the Richarlison way. Teams hate playing against players like that. At only just 26 as well, consistently scoring 8-10 goals in the league, he could be a great asset for us. I think even if Dom was fully fit this would be an incredibly smart transfer.
Yes mate, he’s an absolute prick, so many teams hate him, he’s exactly what we need hassling defenders but also he knows where the net is.

It’s clear to see that we’re bringing in players with the right mentality above everything else this window.

Reasons why I think at £15m he'd be a good, pragmatic signing.

- Brighton wanted to keep him. He wouldn't renew. He's been an important player for them and still would be if he wanted to stay.
- He's only available, and for a good price because he's in the last year of his deal. From January, he can open talks with any foreign club about a free transfer.
- League goals - 10 in 37, 8 in 33, 8 in 35. Their top goal scorer in those 3 seasons. Over those 3 years, he's contributed a third of their goals.
- Compare how he'd rank at 10, 8 and 8 in an Everton team the past 3 years.
- He's 25, he hit double figures (ok, 10 league goals) in his debut season as a 21/22 year old for Brighton.
- It sounds daft, but he tends to score goals that matter. It's not like he slots 3 in a 4-0 win to bump up his numbers - 'Take away the nine he netted in 2021-22 and Brighton’s record-breaking ninth place finish becomes 14th spot in the table. Maupay was single-handedly worth seven points last season.'
- He has a very good fitness record.
- People like to say 'Brighton create loads of chances, Maupay misses loads' - he has a better conversion rate than most, including Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.
- He's low risk in that he's 'proven' in the Prem, young enough to do a few years and sell for profit.
- Playing style. He's a bit street footballer - he brings energy, tenacity and some snide. He's a bit of an angry ant - he can't play upfront on his tod, but he creates space for those around him. Evertonians tend to like that type of player.
- Long term target so it's not a knee jerk panic - we were linked last summer but had no chance because Brighton wouldn't sell;

He'd be a very useful player and for £15m, all day.

It would be double that, and I doubt Brighton would sell if he had 4 years on his contract.

*Cough

Good signing but can't rely on him upfront on his own.
Agree completely. I like this signing as someone to potentially play with Dom in a 2-man front or simply to come off the bench to harass defenses in the second half of games if we play a 3-man front with Dom in the center.

But I don't see him as a viable option to play a true number 9 role as a straight swap for Dom. So I hope there's another forward incoming as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.