2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give the lad some time.Its pre season.

If i remember rightly Coleman was used at times on the right wing with Blackpool while on loan and maybe some stints there to with us and Baines had cameos on the left wing to ease them in.

It looks like he could do a job in the wingback role and hopefully that will help him adapt to the league so he can be more effective as a fullback.

I thought it was 12million?
Anyway, he was off the boil as were a lot of them. Needs the games like Myko did to get up to speed with the Prem in particular- an actual DM that can cover is yet again exposed massively as the hole in our team
As for this he needs to go out on loan and Mills being ahead of him, Mills has had a good game in pre-season, Patterson is a full international and has more league experience, it’s a bit of an overreaction at this moment to suggest Mills is ahead of him??
Myko wasn’t at it initially and he’s developed solidly, like it or not, we have to give these guys time as we don’t have the resources to do anything else.

I see the parallels with Coleman when he came back from Blackpool. The biggest weakness in his game was defending, amours still didn’t really trust him. Thing was, we didn’t have any real attacking threat down the right side and what he offered going forward outweighed his defensive lapses, he got better and better at defending the more he played.

We’re in a similar position now, we need all the attacking threat we can get and he does have that for sure. Defensively he’ll get better, he’s nowhere near as bad as Dave is making out. No worse that Coleman when he went into the team.

Think his biggest weakness defensively is that he wants to try to play when it really isn’t on and can lose the ball in dangerous positions. He’ll learn very quickly in the prem, I think.

Play him, one of the few athletes we have, pace, dynamic, can carry the ball and has a good delivery. Will become a very good player if we let him.

I see the parallels with Coleman when he came back from Blackpool. The biggest weakness in his game was defending, amours still didn’t really trust him. Thing was, we didn’t have any real attacking threat down the right side and what he offered going forward outweighed his defensive lapses, he got better and better at defending the more he played.

We’re in a similar position now, we need all the attacking threat we can get and he does have that for sure. Defensively he’ll get better, he’s nowhere near as bad as Dave is making out. No worse that Coleman when he went into the team.

Think his biggest weakness defensively is that he wants to try to play when it really isn’t on and can lose the ball in dangerous positions. He’ll learn very quickly in the prem, I think.

Play him, one of the few athletes we have, pace, dynamic, can carry the ball and has a good delivery. Will become a very good player if we let him.
lol

He's appalling at defending. Just appalling.

He needs punting out to the Championship.

£16M for Patterson and £20M for Spence.

The people who cut deals at this club should be the first out the door. Rangers couldn't believe they're luck they mugged Everton again. Then they went out and shoved £4M of our club's money in the pocket of Klopp so he can use it to strengthen them.

What a calamity.

Good post. The best full backs in the world are mostly poor defensively and good on the ball and going forward but they're helped that they have an excellent CB and CM set-up that allows them to be free in the role and make up for what the FB lacks. Tarkowski is good enough to handle that pressure but our other CBs can't (Perhaps Mina too) and our CMs certainly do not have that discipline and energy.

Honestly think a good DM solves a lot of this, every team that succeeds with high full backs have anchors in midfield to cover the space in behind and offer the easy pass when in possession at the back.

Good post. The best full backs in the world are mostly poor defensively and good on the ball and going forward but they're helped that they have an excellent CB and CM set-up that allows them to be free in the role and make up for what the FB lacks. Tarkowski is good enough to handle that pressure but our other CBs can't (Perhaps Mina too) and our CMs certainly do not have that discipline and energy.
This is the issue for all of our defence. I used to play centre back. Could be very easy, could be very difficult depending on the midfield in front of you. A midfield that are completely dominated, don’t pressure the ball, don’t get back behind the ball when they lose it and allow runners from midfield to stroll through straight at the defence is going to make it very difficult for any defender. Don’t think our defenders are as bad as people make out…our midfield on the other hand are a complete disgrace and the root of our problems.

lol

He's appalling at defending. Just appalling.

He needs punting out to the Championship.

£16M for Patterson and £20M for Spence.

The people who cut deals at this club should be the first out the door. Rangers couldn't believe they're luck they mugged Everton again. Then they went out and shoved £4M of our club's money in the pocket of Klopp so he can use it to strengthen them.

What a calamity.
No offence Dave but is your whole world one giant conspiracy theory?

Honestly think a good DM solves a lot of this, every team that succeeds with high full backs have anchors in midfield to cover the space in behind and offer the easy pass when in possession at the back.
Agree, that’s the difference between Coleman and the Moyes team and this current team - that team were compact, worked hard, had a good defensive structure and protected the defence/covered space. This team…not so much. A really good mobile and combative midfielder would go a long way as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.