Nathan Broadhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s made the squad for Wales and no, he’s a winger, so maybe you need to watch him before proclaiming he’s not good enough.

Hate him but at 21 van Dijk was playing for Groningen and didn’t make his international bow till he was 24. (Netherlands were a dreadful side back then as well so don’t say “but it’s the Dutch not Wales”)

I'll gladly watch him whenever he makes an appearance in senior football.

Right, so basically you’re admitting you’ve never seen him play and are thus writing him off completely on age alone.

Cracking job there pal.

Not on age alone, but his impact in senior football to date. Giggs has shown a clear willingness to give very young players a go for Wales and yet he's not been seen in the Welsh squad. He's had no senior football out on loan, yet we believe he's deserving of a spot ahead of Bernard, Richarlison, Walcott? I'm largely ambivalent about our youth players until they show anything in the first team as we have a tendency to hype them up beyond all recognition and then they turn out to be bang average.

Where are kids like Ryan Ledson and Liam Walsh now? If this kid turns out to be a cracker then by all means vault me and I'll be only too happy for you to do so as we'll have a good player on our hands. I just don't expect you to have that chance.

Not on age alone, but his impact in senior football to date. Giggs has shown a clear willingness to give very young players a go for Wales and yet he's not been seen in the Welsh squad. He's had no senior football out on loan, yet we believe he's deserving of a spot ahead of Bernard, Richarlison, Walcott? I'm largely ambivalent about our youth players until they show anything in the first team as we have a tendency to hype them up beyond all recognition and then they turn out to be bang average.

Where are kids like Ryan Ledson and Liam Walsh now? If this kid turns out to be a cracker then by all means vault me and I'll be only too happy for you to do so as we'll have a good player on our hands. I just don't expect you to have that chance.

he has though

he has though

He hasn't made an appearance for them (which seems to be a trend). Both the Liverpool youngster and the former Man City youngster who's in Germany now have made a number of appearances for Wales, despite neither looking like threatening the first teams of their respective clubs, yet Broadhead is still waiting to make his debut. Really is some clutching at straws here.

He hasn't made an appearance for them (which seems to be a trend). Both the Liverpool youngster and the former Man City youngster who's in Germany now have made a number of appearances for Wales, despite neither looking like threatening the first teams of their respective clubs, yet Broadhead is still waiting to make his debut. Really is some clutching at straws here.

well he only got called up to the last squad in may. breadhead is maybe a late developer, he was highly rated at around 15/16 but then seemed to plateau and was quite small, looks like hes kicked on again in the last year. far too early to write him off

Your instincts are fine on this. In general if players are to make it, they play by the time they are 18/19. However one key point in Broadheads favour is that he has looked very comfortable so far in pre-season and is yet to be bombed out.

You can end up doing a lot of analysis on young players and who might make it, but in the end it comes down to whether the first team manager fancies them or not. I know it sounds obvious but Silva sees something in him and he has done well so far in pre-season.

He is a long way off being our most decorated young player to come through. Substantially behind the two you mentioned above and even Kieran Dowell. It's also worth noting Dowell looked similar good in pre-season matches and around this time of pre-season would be bombed out. That's the challenge for Broadhead. Stay in the team for as long as you can, even if it's just pre-season games. The more you stay in, the more chance you have to impress the manager.

As a player I have been impressed. He seems to have quick feet and a good brain in the final third. Monaco are no mugs and he looked ok there. Still a long way to go mind.

Your instincts are fine on this. In general if players are to make it, they play by the time they are 18/19. However one key point in Broadheads favour is that he has looked very comfortable so far in pre-season and is yet to be bombed out.

You can end up doing a lot of analysis on young players and who might make it, but in the end it comes down to whether the first team manager fancies them or not. I know it sounds obvious but Silva sees something in him and he has done well so far in pre-season.

He is a long way off being our most decorated young player to come through. Substantially behind the two you mentioned above and even Kieran Dowell. It's also worth noting Dowell looked similar good in pre-season matches and around this time of pre-season would be bombed out. That's the challenge for Broadhead. Stay in the team for as long as you can, even if it's just pre-season games. The more you stay in, the more chance you have to impress the manager.

As a player I have been impressed. He seems to have quick feet and a good brain in the final third. Monaco are no mugs and he looked ok there. Still a long way to go mind.

For sure, I hope he makes it as we need good players. Like you say though, Dowell has shown an awful lot more, both for a successful England youth team, and in his loan spells to date. If we're assessing two players who are the same age, you'd have to say Dowell is a long way ahead of Broadhead, but we'll see I suppose. It's perhaps pertinent to remember that both Dowell and Broadhead are the same age as Vlasic who despite having over 160 senior games under his belt, exposure in the CL and international caps for Croatia was deemed not good enough for our team. You'd have to say he's way ahead of the two youth products we're talking about here, so they'll have a job to impact our first team imo.

I think the big difference is that Dowell was looking good against some team from Africa wasn't he, whilst Broadhead has done it against a decent European side, which suggests he may be more ready. (Fwiw, I've still got my fingers crossed that Dowell can come good).

Both the Liverpool youngster and the former Man City youngster who's in Germany now have made a number of appearances for Wales, despite neither looking like threatening the first teams of their respective clubs
It's a bit cliche, but it could come down to the fact of who they're playing for?

It's a bit cliche, but it could come down to the fact of who they're playing for?

Lookman is the same age, and has 50 odd appearances in the top flight in England and Germany, and has gone for fees in excessive of £30m during his career (assuming his sale goes through). However you spin it, Broadhead is way behind the curve, so to expect him to do something for us is a huge leap.

I think the big difference is that Dowell was looking good against some team from Africa wasn't he, whilst Broadhead has done it against a decent European side, which suggests he may be more ready. (Fwiw, I've still got my fingers crossed that Dowell can come good).

Just to repeat, Broadhead is the same age and plays in a similar'ish position to both Vlasic and Lookman, both of whom have shown waaay more than him in their careers to date and yet are heading out the door because they were deemed not good enough. There's a whole lot being placed on a single performance in a friendly.

I think @Bruce Wayne has a valid point in general terms, I would usually say if you're not doing it at 21 you've missed your chance. There are definitely exceptions to the rule though, some players just click a bit later, so I wouldn't rule out that being the case for either Broadhead or Bowler. Clearly Silva sees at least some promise in the lad or he wouldn't be wasting everyone's time picking him and talking about him. He doesn't need to be a late bloomer who becomes a world beater, but if he can be good enough to make a difference in a few games over the course of this season that's good enough for now. Let's not get bogged down in thinking everybody has to be superstars to be worth a wage.

Needs a good loan, don't think he's anywhere near good enough for our first team, we're being linked with players like malcolm, that's the standard we need in attack. Broadhead is league one level at best. I know that's blunt, but it's the truth. All for promoting youngsters, but look at Kenny for example and his prestige in youth football, the step up to prem is massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.