My hero Terry....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met Terry when I was 8 and in hospital having my appendix out. His lad was on the same ward as me and my dad was sat talking to him more then me lol. Meeting a real life Everton player was a massive thing to me at the time and definitely helped my recovery. Lovely fella who made a point of stopping and asking how I was every time he passed on his way to see his son. Remember it like it was yesterday, was the same week we beat Wimbledon 8-0.

Best wishes Terry
Great that Tommy,as an aside about the Wimbledon game the day before it my Grandad(an armchair red!!)had passed away, he always gave me stick,it wasn't easy even back then being a bluelol,I didn't go that night,we won 8-0,and the other lot lost 1-0 at second division Sheffield Utd,all I can recall as a twelve year old was why did he have to go on that particular day as I would have ripped him senseless about those resultslol

Are you sure it wasn't the 1-0 game, David Johnson scoring the only goal. Terry man-marked Best that night and, while George barely had a kick, Terry certainly got quite a few in!

As everyone has said, Terry was a 100% committed player, a tough tackler, but underrated as a footballer - he could whip in lovely curling crosses from the right, for instance. Like the rest of his generation he suffered in comparison to the great players that made up the 1970 team: as a young midfield player he couldn't possibly live up the standards of the Holy Trinity, and as a right-back the comparisons were with Tommy Wright. For me he played his best football under Gordon Lee.

My best wishes to Terry and his family.
No mate. Wasn't a night game. I think their C/H was Steve James. He slipped over in the area and we got a pen. Utd fans were trying to get out of the Park End and Walrus ( police sergeant)) was smacking them everywhere with his stick to get back in. I think I'm right but you know how befuddled you can get at my age. He deffo played Best off the park anyway

No mate. Wasn't a night game. I think their C/H was Steve James. He slipped over in the area and we got a pen. Utd fans were trying to get out of the Park End and Walrus ( police sergeant)) was smacking them everywhere with his stick to get back in. I think I'm right but you know how befuddled you can get at my age. He deffo played Best off the park anyway
I remember the Walrus like an army officer the way he went in to the crowd with his men ....- gosh he was respected, lethal crowd control back then ... - hope Terry is going to be alright in hospital ....

A humble guy as well ,remember he was saying some one said to his kids [did he go and play in America ] what does your dad do and they said he [kicks the ball into the air ] and he said that's dead right.
When I was at primary school him and Mick Lyons came to open the school summer fair. I've still got his autograph somewhere. My Mum - who was running the bar in the beer tent that afternoon said they were both very nice. She wasn't easily impressed!

I was really good mates with Steve Sargent after his playing career. Terry was also a very good friend of his. Met Terry socially and he was a top bloke to have a pint with. Get well soon Terry.
A particular favouite of mine was I was younger was Stevie Sergeant, best wishes to Terry, get well soon!

1636809016492-png.145620

Status
Not open for further replies.