My hero Terry....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Terry when I was 8 and in hospital having my appendix out. His lad was on the same ward as me and my dad was sat talking to him more then me lol. Meeting a real life Everton player was a massive thing to me at the time and definitely helped my recovery. Lovely fella who made a point of stopping and asking how I was every time he passed on his way to see his son. Remember it like it was yesterday, was the same week we beat Wimbledon 8-0.

Best wishes Terry

Just found out sadly he is not too well at all and in hospital,sent a goodwill message to his niece on another Everton platform and gave the best wishes of the GOT community,hope you all didn't mind.:(

Nice touch @Dario Terracotta, and of course wish the Real Man Terry a swift and full recovery.
In a separate post to your goodself a couple of days ago, I stated I always had a lot of time for him as he always gave his all. He never once backed out of a challenge, and even 90/10 challenges against him did he ever back out.
One game springs to mind, against The Irons I think it was, he gave a performance of a right sided Ramon Wilson (praise of THE highest order) and after being rightly awarded the MOTM, he stood near the centre circle and bowed to each of the four stands. Cue great hilarity and acclaim in equal measure.
Not just a great example on the field, but a thorough gentleman off it. I was at function in Bootle and he and Mick Lyons were awarding the prizes and he gave his time with dignity, and no small measure of humour and humility.
A credit to the club, as was Mick of course.

Get well soon Terry. First time I saw him was in a 2-1 win against Utd at Goodison. George Best didn't get a kick against him
Are you sure it wasn't the 1-0 game, David Johnson scoring the only goal. Terry man-marked Best that night and, while George barely had a kick, Terry certainly got quite a few in!

As everyone has said, Terry was a 100% committed player, a tough tackler, but underrated as a footballer - he could whip in lovely curling crosses from the right, for instance. Like the rest of his generation he suffered in comparison to the great players that made up the 1970 team: as a young midfield player he couldn't possibly live up the standards of the Holy Trinity, and as a right-back the comparisons were with Tommy Wright. For me he played his best football under Gordon Lee.

My best wishes to Terry and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.