Moyes Transfer Dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most transfers, buying and selling were good deals.

Next to Cahill and Arteta I think Moyes best buy was Marcus Bent. There is no way we get 4th place w/o him. We still haven't got a CF who can hold the ball up like he did. Osman and Cahill (arguably) had their best seasons partnered with him and he provided a decent haul of goals as well.

Understood not signing him (youth movement) but wish we never got rid of McBride. If there is one good thing about American players is that even in their 30s they usually don't have too many miles on them.

Carsley was a Smith signing I think.

If we would have signed Manny I don't think we would have went after Peanut. Not worth 12M anyway.

Radzinski - Good ridance to bad alleged footballer.
Jeffers - Sad waste, a 'could have been' at least for a while.
Did Barmby leave on Moyes' watch?
He got a great season out of Pistone, then was forced to resign him and he (Sandro) sat it out.
Barrel of a gun over the Nyarko problem, not his doing in any way there.
Great shout on Matteo Ferrari earlier, classy left footer with Italian pedigree.

To be honest, a thread could be made for 'The ones that got away' such as Emre (snide!), Smith (injured), him that was right back for the blades that hasn't played for spurs yet (not such hot guac after all).

Have to agree with Chico's summary and yes Ferrari going was for me a bad one.

However I would like to point out that far too often we deal way too late in the transfer market so basically about the players signed, was it:-

1. Desperation to build numbers up.

2. Had to settle for 2nd or 3rd best choices.

3. Signed injured players.

i strongly disagreed about selling faddy but i know i'm in the minority when it comes to him so we'll let that be.

he has made some excellent decisions though as far as selling is concerned.

plus think about the value added to the jagielka, baines, saha, cahill, arteta, and pienaar. just because we (hopefully) won't have to sell them any time soon doesn't mean we shouldn't take into account the fact that if we did, we'd turn a tremendous profit.

More Kroldrup/VDM side of things:

Rodrigo
Anderson da Silva
Li Wei Feng
Li Tie

(Not that we paid/lost a lot on any of those, as far as I'm aware.)

Last edited:
i think overall moyes has chosen some really good players, to loan and buy, felaini though he did a good job last season is at best a £3,000,000
player, i dont think he has the guile or skill to be a great midfielder, he is a big alkward bugger who is difficult to play against, yakubu not yet fit, but can win a game for you, cahill playing out of position at the moment, Jo who cant play with his back to goal,and cant dribble to save his life, arteta a great player when fit but has been out for a long time now, neville injured and be honest past his best which wasnt good enough to hold down a regular spot at united, piennar brilliant player loads of skill but injury prone, billy our russian newcomer the same as piennar plays two games then out injured, saha the same two games and injured,
its a wonder we have done as well as we have over the last few seasons, moyes has worked wonders with the players he's had available;)

Fellaini only worth 3 million Wildcat? I've got some magic beans you might be interested in.

I'm not gonna repeat myself and others in the reasons for his early season lack of form and the fact we overpaid by a few million for him (nowhere near the 12 million you say though) but time will prove Moyes right on Fellaini. If you can't see the skill and potential there and want to label him a midfield version Emile Heskey then fair enough, but you're going to look a daftie in the long run.

If you compared Davey's transfer dealings to other Prem managers , surely he would be in the top 2 or 3. Even SAF has had his donkeys, Kleberson and, Veron to name but expensive buys.
Fellaini has potential , so hopefully we can develop him and produce a decent player. It isn't his fault we paid that price. Along with the names already mentioned I reckon Davey has worked minor miracles in the transfer market. Perhaps our scouting network needs a few plaudits too

I think moysie has been very astute in the market
Positives.arteta,pienaar,neville,saha,cahill,jags,lescott among others.
Negatives.vdm,kroldrup,ferrari

I would like to see a bit of pace brought in though

I think we made some great signings over the summer; especially Heitinga and Distin.

Think they're both going to have great seasons

Given his budget, Moyes has probably been in the top 3 managers for wheeling and dealing. We might buy late, but we generally buy well. Those 'second or third choice' players mentioned earlier have generally made the grade! No one is perfect, so you always get a few flops.

And one day Fellaini will be king.

Fellaini only worth 3 million Wildcat? I've got some magic beans you might be interested in.

I'm not gonna repeat myself and others in the reasons for his early season lack of form and the fact we overpaid by a few million for him (nowhere near the 12 million you say though) but time will prove Moyes right on Fellaini. If you can't see the skill and potential there and want to label him a midfield version Emile Heskey then fair enough, but you're going to look a daftie in the long run.

LOL i quite like beans, I hope your faith in Fellaini comes to fruition i really do, i think he will be a steady player, but dont think he will be the midfield general moyes believes he will become. now Rodwell hes the full monty

Last edited:
I think Moyes did very well at the start bring in some really good snips from the lower leagues................I just wish he'd do the same now rather than 'need big money signings'. As Robert says he stalls when it comes to paying big bucks but in the end he can miss targets. His lower league signings have nearly all been good he cocks up when buying foreigners............Koldrup being a prime example why spend that amount of money on a guy who couldn't head the ball its like laying out Rolls Royce cash for a three wheeler

I remember sitting in a pub,cant think of the name, it was up near the adelphi hotel, on the morning of a match a couple of years ago after we had signed kroldrup, got talking to some old boy who seemed to know his stuff when it came to everton, he told me he was a mate of Dave Watson, and waggy had said moyes never seen kroldrup play live, just on dvd and that none of the coaching staff could believe when he arrived that he could hardly run and couldnt head the ball. Now i love moysey but that shocking if true, probably the reason he dithers so much now when going after players

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.