2019/20 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo Ancelotti pleads for patience with Moise Kean citing Michel Platini's early struggles at Juventus

Carlo Ancelotti has urged Everton fans to be patient with Moise Kean – by reminding them that even an experienced Michel Platini initially struggled to adapt to a new country as a player.

Kean has failed to score in 16 appearances since his £24.5 million move from Juventus in August and suffered the ignominy of being taken off just 19 minutes after coming on as a substitute against Manchester United this month.

But Ancelotti – who tried to take Kean to Napoli in the summer, only to lose out to Everton – believes it is natural the 19-year-old Italy striker is taking time to find his feet and warned it would be foolish to rush to judge his compatriot.

Citing the example of Platini, who, even at 27, endured a difficult start at Juventus after his move from St-Etienne in 1982 – as well as his former Roma team-mate Falcao’s initial struggles in Italy after moving from Brazil – Ancelotti said teething problems were inevitable.

“When I was a player, I remember Falcao [at Roma], or Platini, who arrived from St-Etienne to Juventus. It took six months [for him to adapt] – and that was Platini,” Everton’s new manager said ahead of his first game in charge, against Burnley, at Goodison Park on Boxing Day.

“We need to be patient with the young players. We wanted to sign him [Kean] in Napoli but Everton arrived first. He showed a fantastic quality, he is a top talent but he is 19 years old. He has to adapt. He arrived here in a new country, new team-mates, everything was new here for him. We have to work with him, every one of us, to improve.
“I had the same problem [at Napoli this season] with [Hirving] Lozano, who is not 19 years old but 24. It takes time.”

Ancelotti said he had been impressed by the spirit and application Everton had shown under Duncan Ferguson, the interim manager, in the last four matches and would not seek to change much against Burnley.

“In three days, it is difficult to change,” he said. “We have to start from the fact the team showed a good spirit and we have to use this to try to win.

“The game against Burnley is very important. You cannot do a lot but I want to put across some ideas of football that I would like to play.”

Only four points above the relegation zone, Ancelotti said his initial target was to ensure Everton climb the table over the festive period.
“To try to be closer to the top than the bottom – that is our goal, and to try to play better football,” he said. “These players have the quality to play better. I saw the last four games.
“Duncan had a fantastic job and the team showed a fantastic spirit. I really enjoyed that. After that we have to try to play attractive football. I saw also how the supporters pushed the team forward and this is good. They want to see offensive football and I want to put in the team a good style of football.”

Carlo Ancelotti pleads for patience with Moise Kean citing Michel Platini's early struggles at Juventus

Carlo Ancelotti has urged Everton fans to be patient with Moise Kean – by reminding them that even an experienced Michel Platini initially struggled to adapt to a new country as a player.

Kean has failed to score in 16 appearances since his £24.5 million move from Juventus in August and suffered the ignominy of being taken off just 19 minutes after coming on as a substitute against Manchester United this month.

But Ancelotti – who tried to take Kean to Napoli in the summer, only to lose out to Everton – believes it is natural the 19-year-old Italy striker is taking time to find his feet and warned it would be foolish to rush to judge his compatriot.

Citing the example of Platini, who, even at 27, endured a difficult start at Juventus after his move from St-Etienne in 1982 – as well as his former Roma team-mate Falcao’s initial struggles in Italy after moving from Brazil – Ancelotti said teething problems were inevitable.

“When I was a player, I remember Falcao [at Roma], or Platini, who arrived from St-Etienne to Juventus. It took six months [for him to adapt] – and that was Platini,” Everton’s new manager said ahead of his first game in charge, against Burnley, at Goodison Park on Boxing Day.

“We need to be patient with the young players. We wanted to sign him [Kean] in Napoli but Everton arrived first. He showed a fantastic quality, he is a top talent but he is 19 years old. He has to adapt. He arrived here in a new country, new team-mates, everything was new here for him. We have to work with him, every one of us, to improve.
“I had the same problem [at Napoli this season] with [Hirving] Lozano, who is not 19 years old but 24. It takes time.”

Ancelotti said he had been impressed by the spirit and application Everton had shown under Duncan Ferguson, the interim manager, in the last four matches and would not seek to change much against Burnley.

“In three days, it is difficult to change,” he said. “We have to start from the fact the team showed a good spirit and we have to use this to try to win.

“The game against Burnley is very important. You cannot do a lot but I want to put across some ideas of football that I would like to play.”

Only four points above the relegation zone, Ancelotti said his initial target was to ensure Everton climb the table over the festive period.
“To try to be closer to the top than the bottom – that is our goal, and to try to play better football,” he said. “These players have the quality to play better. I saw the last four games.
“Duncan had a fantastic job and the team showed a fantastic spirit. I really enjoyed that. After that we have to try to play attractive football. I saw also how the supporters pushed the team forward and this is good. They want to see offensive football and I want to put in the team a good style of football.”

I want to see more of him than anything, He gets the odd 10-20 minutes on average, It's garbage for him.

I’d like to see him start today personally. Burnley’s defence are no mugs though so I’d totally get if we went with DCL. Still he’s the unknown quantity and I’d expect DCL to have a hard time against their grocks.

I just watched the video of him and Iwobi helping at the Foodbank. Only a couple of smiles from him and a short bit of talking. His English isn’t great yet , but he’s done well to learn so much , it must be really difficult in a foreign country learning the language better but probably missing certain things he hears. Carlo and his Italian mates will help a bit there. It may take this season to adapt but he’ll get there , he’s got so much talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.