2018/19 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest that 2nd goal at Wolves was Baines fault. Baines plays him onside. The golden rule in those positions if the centre back is the "last man", if the ball goes over him it goes out of play. If a fullback goes deeper he has to win the header or he leaves the lad offside. Baines does neither.

Jiminez just reaches the ball on the stretch. Had he been a yard deeper (so onside) he doesn't reach the ball. Keane get's his positioning perfect, lets nothing go in front of him and if the ball is over his head it goes out for a goalkick.

Lots of faults in Kean's game, mainly down the sides, but he's good in the air and he was ok for that goal. The fault lies mainly with Baines.

Yes, Baines should have hoofed it upfield instead of trying to be clever.

To be honest that 2nd goal at Wolves was Baines fault. Baines plays him onside. The golden rule in those positions if the centre back is the "last man", if the ball goes over him it goes out of play. If a fullback goes deeper he has to win the header or he leaves the lad offside. Baines does neither.

Jiminez just reaches the ball on the stretch. Had he been a yard deeper (so onside) he doesn't reach the ball. Keane get's his positioning perfect, lets nothing go in front of him and if the ball is over his head it goes out for a goalkick.

Lots of faults in Kean's game, mainly down the sides, but he's good in the air and he was ok for that goal. The fault lies mainly with Baines.
I agree with that. Keane still lost his man though. I said last week, it’s not a really terrible error, but it’s a definite error, he just peels off behind him and Keane can’t get back. No big deal, it happens all the time, but I’m not sure why people feel the need to say he didn’t do anything wrong.

I think part of the problem is people struggle to accept that players aren’t just brilliant or awful. People were talking about Keane as if he was a pub player and we would concede 5 goals in any game he played, so because he’s been generally ok for a couple of games they’re shocked and now want to make out like he’s turned a corner and has been brilliant. Truth is he’s an average PL player, easily good enough to shine for 8-9 teams in this league and quite capable of steady performances for us, but ultimately lacking in too many areas to be playing regularly if we want to do better than make up the numbers.

He played well again yesterday.

The main issue we saw is that Ings pinned onto him and turned him when we played a high line, and that will happen if we play that style with him in it.

But at the moment, there's no need for him to be dropped. He's playing well and should retain his place.
Well said mate. A good assessment. I don't no why people always single certain players every single week for criticism. I'm not saying he's a world class defender but I think he has potential.

As somebody who does watch the game, I’m not sure there’s a lot more we could have done to stop the cross actually. Coleman and Walcott were both marking people out wide but neves drifted out there to make it 3 on 2. You could argue that Schneiderlin could have gone out with him but then that would have left them with men over in the middle. The space neves Had was a direct result of being down to 10 men. But you know that because you watch the game.
So you allow the player to cross the ball unchallenged and you then blame Keane! Brilliant!!!!

I agree with that. Keane still lost his man though. I said last week, it’s not a really terrible error, but it’s a definite error, he just peels off behind him and Keane can’t get back. No big deal, it happens all the time, but I’m not sure why people feel the need to say he didn’t do anything wrong.

I think part of the problem is people struggle to accept that players aren’t just brilliant or awful. People were talking about Keane as if he was a pub player and we would concede 5 goals in any game he played, so because he’s been generally ok for a couple of games they’re shocked and now want to make out like he’s turned a corner and has been brilliant. Truth is he’s an average PL player, easily good enough to shine for 8-9 teams in this league and quite capable of steady performances for us, but ultimately lacking in too many areas to be playing regularly if we want to do better than make up the numbers.

I am not sure I agree with that mate, I can see why people think it mind. Having played the position you will instinctively keep half an eye on the ball and half an eye on the man. If he goes out of your eye shot he should be offside. All of this is true. If a guy runs offside from you, you shouldn't adjust your position, as you are happy to leave him offside. Baines plays him onside and has to take responsibility then. The golden rules in that position is that you don't get beaten in front. If someone scores they do so behind you and have to out jump you. Keane does that fine for the goal.

As for the 2nd paragraph I agree wholeheartedly. People can be ok. People can be ok for the next 6 months, or 2 years or whatever but if we keep improving will eventually be moved on if things go well. Other players may be ok but get a new coach, or new system, or better coaching and turn it around. They may be players who may not deserve a 2nd chance, but will get one. You have to go with it.

I think Keane has been underwhelming for us. I also think he's a lot better defender than he has shown and young enough to improve. I'd say Silva will improve players. However my gut feeling is Keane will always look best for sides who defend deeper and are on the back foot.He may be able to prove me wrong on that but we will see. The ideal for me, is Keane plays well and we move him on for reasonable money over the next 2 years. For now though, I support him and with each decent performance his confidence should rise which will help. We never know, he may prove me wrong and I hope so.

I am not sure I agree with that mate, I can see why people think it mind. Having played the position you will instinctively keep half an eye on the ball and half an eye on the man. If he goes out of your eye shot he should be offside. All of this is true. If a guy runs offside from you, you shouldn't adjust your position, as you are happy to leave him offside. Baines plays him onside and has to take responsibility then. The golden rules in that position is that you don't get beaten in front. If someone scores they do so behind you and have to out jump you. Keane does that fine for the goal.

As for the 2nd paragraph I agree wholeheartedly. People can be ok. People can be ok for the next 6 months, or 2 years or whatever but if we keep improving will eventually be moved on if things go well. Other players may be ok but get a new coach, or new system, or better coaching and turn it around. They may be players who may not deserve a 2nd chance, but will get one. You have to go with it.

I think Keane has been underwhelming for us. I also think he's a lot better defender than he has shown and young enough to improve. I'd say Silva will improve players. However my gut feeling is Keane will always look best for sides who defend deeper and are on the back foot.He may be able to prove me wrong on that but we will see. The ideal for me, is Keane plays well and we move him on for reasonable money over the next 2 years. For now though, I support him and with each decent performance his confidence should rise which will help. We never know, he may prove me wrong and I hope so.
Agree with every word of that.

Your right mate. I think it's very sad the way some fans can't get off a players back and support the team.

When he first signed, virtually every poster on here was happy to have signed the lad.

However slowly but surely his form dropped off a cliff, to the point where it looks like he may never recover from the spiral of overall gashness he appears to be in.

If he could recover his form, no would be happier than me to eat my words, as potentially that`d give us four quality centre halves and plenty of different options, depending on who we were playing against.

He`s still got at least one big mistake in him every game and that shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

Played well yesterday to be fair, looks much better alongside Holgate.

He found his head on some good crosses/free kicks too - but if he works on being more deadly with those he'll be much more vital to the team.

Played well yesterday to be fair, looks much better alongside Holgate.

He found his head on some good crosses/free kicks too - but if he works on being more deadly with those he'll be much more vital to the team.
That first header was a very good one. It was always going to be awkward to hit as he had to readjust his body. He still didn’t seem as confident as he was away from home. It would do him a world of good to get a goal in front of the home crowd.

I didn’t blame Keane mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure if that’s enough exclamation marks for you but I did my best.
When he first signed, virtually every poster on here was happy to have signed the lad.

However slowly but surely his form dropped off a cliff, to the point where it looks like he may never recover from the spiral of overall gashness he appears to be in.

If he could recover his form, no would be happier than me to eat my words, as potentially that`d give us four quality centre halves and plenty of different options, depending on who we were playing against.

He`s still got at least one big mistake in him every game and that shows no sign of changing anytime soon.
I think he may have more confidence though playing with a different left back. I don't think Baines and him together on the left works. I found it strange watching the goalkeeper give the ball to Coleman on one side but then on the other side having to give in to Keane in an unnatural position to receive ball in my opinion because Baines will not under any circumstances except the ball from the keeper.

I think he may have more confidence though playing with a different left back. I don't think Baines and him together on the left works. I found it strange watching the goalkeeper give the ball to Coleman on one side but then on the other side having to give in to Keane in an unnatural position to receive ball in my opinion because Baines will not under any circumstances except the ball from the keeper.

Sorry mate, I just can`t see a Premier League player in him, unless it`s in a team that defends on the edge of the box - Burnley.

Sorry mate, I just can`t see a Premier League player in him, unless it`s in a team that defends on the edge of the box - Burnley.
I think differently mate. But I respect your opinion. I just think when we signed him he was on the fringes of the England squad so there must be a good player in there. I also think he looked good against wolves.
I find it interesting though Sam allardyce said on talk sport this week we were close to signing Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson when he took over.

I think differently mate. But I respect your opinion. I just think when we signed him he was on the fringes of the England squad so there must be a good player in there. I also think he looked good against wolves.
I find it interesting though Sam allardyce said on talk sport this week we were close to signing Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson when he took over.

Allardyce lives in his fantasy " Fat Sam Super Manager World " mate.

Maguire and Robertson where both important players for Leicester and the RS when he came in and neither were for sale.

Like the RS would`ve sold us Robertson lol

Status
Not open for further replies.