Match of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Everton vs Sunderland game on the official youtube channel last night.

One of the things that struck me from watching that match was the amount of long, high balls from John Bailey at LB in particular but others as well towards Andy Gray and Graeme Sharp for them to knock down and to build the play from that.

The amount of crosses both near and far post seemed high as well.

My perception may be incorrect, was just hoping to see nicer football.

I watched the Everton vs Sunderland game on the official youtube channel last night.

One of the things that struck me from watching that match was the amount of long, high balls from John Bailey at LB in particular but others as well towards Andy Gray and Graeme Sharp for them to knock down and to build the play from that.

Bailey only played that game as Van Den Hauwe was suspended, trust me we didnt generally play like that, think that was Baileys only game in seven months

Bailey only played that game as Van Den Hauwe was suspended, trust me we didnt generally play like that, think that was Baileys only game in seven months

Give it a watch, see what you think

I was just a little disappointed to see us playing that way. Sheedy didn't have his best game, was hoping to see more Tricky Trev skills.

I started going around the very late 70s, just my recollection is bad. Was hoping to see some beautiful school of science type play, considering we had 2/3rds of probably our greatest ever midfield as management.

Not sure about that.
City could have been four up before we even scored.
Deceiving match as we basically had four looks at goal and smashed all four in. Similar to the Arsenal game for Martinez in that Koeman padded his resume with that despite not actually being that smart.

Deceiving match as we basically had four looks at goal and smashed all four in. Similar to the Arsenal game for Martinez in that Koeman padded his resume with that despite not actually being that smart.
Fast forward and in direct contrast to the Chelsea game, where they had about 10 goes and only managed 4

Hmm, thinks, now which game will I watch again

That team produced the best football arguably in the clubs history. When united beat us in the FA Cup final Atkinson described having beat the best team in Europe. Brian Clough in his commentary on the Cup Winners Cup final three days earlier, was fulsome in his praise of our team. Maybe you shouldn’t just judge the game on highlights. I was at that game and me and 40k other fans weren’t disappointed what we saw.

That team produced the best football arguably in the clubs history. When united beat us in the FA Cup final Atkinson described having beat the best team in Europe. Brian Clough in his commentary on the Cup Winners Cup final three days earlier, was fulsome in his praise of our team. Maybe you shouldn’t just judge the game on highlights. I was at that game and me and 40k other fans weren’t disappointed what we saw.
Totally agree , i’ve probably said this before but if you watch the Rapid Vienna game Cloughie said ....

”This Everton team is gonna dominate domestic and European football for years to come”

we all know what happened next , I hate them for that.

Didn't just watch highlights, it was the full match.

I specifically made comment about this match, not the Semi Finals against Bayern or the match against Tottenham.

Just an observation that's all

The beauty of that team is that they could play lots of different styles, which included route one when required, which was hardly suprising considering we had two excellent target men upfront.

I think that makes a mockery of claims we changed our style and went more direct to suit the scorching pace of Lineker the following season. I've never thought our tactics in 85/86 were radically different to those in 84/85.

Just watching the World Cup one now, David Icke on commentary!

Can't believe how much better it was when there was only one commentator and they told you who was on the ball instead of trying to be part of the action like they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.