Match of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the game and remembered it never looked like we were going to get that equaliser but never remembered their player getting sent off....

So Ipswich played Mon, Wed, Sat and Weds. All crucial cup games.hahaha.

Just watched the Ipswich game. Was at that game with me dad. Think I remember Catterick had died ditto Ted Sagar in an earlier cup game. Thanks to the BBC for restoring history = I thought football began in 1992 and consisted of 6 other teams

I've got to be honest that was a very harsh penalty we got in the replay, I'd have been fuming had one like that been given against us, but probably made up for the shocker Robinson made in not awarding us one for when Trevor Steven was basically assaulted in the first game.

Alan Robinson rarely did us any favours. He was the same ref who failed to give us two blatant spot kicks in the 84 Milk Cup final and the 86 FA Cup final.

Was at the Ipswich game as a kid. Lost my trainer when mountfield equalised and was worried how I was going to get home, but miraculously found it on the final whistle. Remember the game for Sheedy’s free kicks and the equaliser. Got home to hear the sad news about Harry Catterick. Two Everton greats taken from us in the 80s at Goodison - Dean and Catterick.

Just watched the Ipswich game. Was at that game with me dad. Think I remember Catterick had died ditto Ted Sagar in an earlier cup game. Thanks to the BBC for restoring history = I thought football began in 1992 and consisted of 6 other teams
I think you are getting mixed up with Ted Sagar, think you mean Dixie Dean.

No not at all. Dean died in 1980. Sagar died in 85 like Catterick
Sorry about that, did Ted die at the match? I never knew that, he was Everton’s goalkeeper when I first started going to the game and I think one of his last games for Everton was when he deputised for Jimmy O’Neill who was playing for Eire, going from memory it might have been against Plymouth Argyle in the second division. Sorry again, no offence meant.

I remember all the cup replays we used to get in the 80's. Did we replay 'Boro 5 times one year? Happened a couple of times that. mad days but at least we were competetive.

I remember all the cup replays we used to get in the 80's. Did we replay 'Boro 5 times one year? Happened a couple of times that. mad days but at least we were competetive.

You may be thinking of 1988 when it took 4 ties to dispose of Sheff Wed in the third round and then 3 to finally beat Middlesboro in the fourth.

In fact we played more FA Cup ties that season in only reaching the 5th round (8) than we did in going all the way to winning it in 1995 (6).

You may be thinking of 1988 when it took 4 ties to dispose of Sheff Wed in the third round and then 3 to finally beat Middlesboro in the fourth.

In fact we played more FA Cup ties that season in only reaching the 5th round (8) than we did in going all the way to winning it in 1995 (6).
That's it,I knew we had a few against Sheff Wed too. Used to do my head in all the replays

Status
Not open for further replies.