2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to get back to when he thought he had no future at the club and worked hard don't take things for granted you can be replaced in a heart beat
spit the gum out your not a teenage girl thats what i would say to him if i was Carlo and if he wants to fight about it i'd tell Duncan he is planning on screwing his house

Very valuable player for us, can play right across the back 4. He was poor against Fulham, but, he was by no means the only one. I think the only difference between his form this season and last season is that last season he had an extended run in his favoured position, this season he has been used more often as a right back, but has also covered at centre back. It helped him last year to be paired with either Mina or Keane, as their dominance in the air was complemented by his mobility.

And yet it looked like we rinsed City with Stones and yet he's doing well in their current record breaking run. All players can go through dips in form for various reasons. Holgate is still young for a CB who normally get to their best at 26/27.

there is no comparison between stones and holgate though, completely different levels of ability.

He has been poor of recent and looked a shadow of himself,
However the rotation of the back four has clearly been detrimental to confidence and stability.

Had a few stinkers lately which is surprising to me as I’ve always rated him.
His attitude would be good against City and in the Derby but I’m not sure I’d play him on current form.
Might be best to bring on if defending a lead.

Looks to have switched off lately, for me. I have absolutely no basis to say that as I’ve never even met the fella and have no insight into the inner workings of his mind.

But it looks like he’s started to think he’s better than he is. The chewing gum thing is bizarre.

I like the lad and I don't think he was any worse than the others he certainly but in more tackles than the rest of the team. It was a collective failure of the team for me. Having said that he wouldn't be my first choice full back but he has a good attitude and works hard when asked to play there. I also don't care if he chews gum.

Just needs a run as centre back... Not going get it unless there is injury or suspension. So we will continue to see indifferent performances as he is deployed to give others a rest.

Stones was great on the ball from the first time he played. Holgate is not that. Defensively sure maybe they're similar with ups and downs but that baseline in possession makes Stones valuable for teams planning on having the ball.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a Holgate fan... and also what a massive Stones fan I was.. and remained. Thinking Holgate was better than Stones was just fans trying to not be reminded we had the most talented CB in England and he moved on. I hoped Holgate could approach his level, but Stones is proving how good he can be again... Different level.

Status
Not open for further replies.