2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone read that athletic article on DCL and him. Said that over the summer he tried to build up his strength and muscle a bit. Might be that he's still adjusting
Don't know who advises the players, muscle doesn't equal strength. Lots of slightly built players have bossed games and intimidated opponents.

didnt he win our player of the year last season as a centre half? obviously thats not saying much but theres a good player there, hes just been fairly average/crap since coming back from injury mainly playing right back.
Full list of 2019/20 Everton award winners:

Player of the Season - Richarlison
Players' Player of the Season - Mason Holgate
Young Player of the Season - Mason Holgate

Goal of the Season - Leighton Baines
Howard Kendall Award - Duncan Ferguson
Chairman's Blueblood Award - Denise Barratt-Baxendale
Under-23 Player of the Season - Anthony Gordon
Everton Women Player of the Season - Dan Turner
Everton Women Breakthrough Player of the Season - Molly Pike
Fan of the Year - Lewis Docherty
Everton Giant - Pat Van den Hauwe and Gary Stevens
People's Club Award - The Everton Family
Moody Blue Award - Hannah Moody

Shush. Don't say these things

Mainly because of people’s weird obsession with ‘mentality’. As always, the same personality traits that people rave over as being the perfect attitude when things are going well are used as evidence of the wrong attitude when things start going badly. Almost as if the entire concept of being ‘a winner’ is absolute guff.

That being a winner thing has definitely been true with managers too. I think it's what largely led to us appointing Ronald Koeman, on the basis of what he had won (mostly as a player). I mean Roy Keane is a "winner" on the pitch- in the easiest sense of the word, and you can see listening to him would be perfect on the pitch, but can also see how he would be an awful manager, and in honesty once he stopped performing on the pitch a massive pain. To a degree, Neville Southall was probably a bit like that, and it's why once he was dropped Kendall sent his as far away from Bellefield as possible (and even told him he couldn't train with the 1st team).

As for Holgate, I think he has got a good atittude on the whole, there are technical issues with him. His awareness isnt great and has never been great. To a degree it is something that improves with age, so there is some hope, but his general awareness is poor (a bit like that Gomez at Liverpool, they don't have the peripheral vision good defenders have where they sense whats behind them).

The big thing with Holgate is probably people going to extremes on him. I appreciate it's often not the same people, but he isn't better than Stones (even when Stones was struggling at City) and nor is he now awful. He's decent. If he had a run of games, he'd probably do ok, but we want better than ok.

We have gone from hating Schneiderlin, Tosun, Niasse to now seeong this lad as the weak link. To a degree it's progress of sort.

I said a few weeks abck, if the right offer came in I'd move him on. He's one of the few saleable assets who we probably wouldn't miss enormously. If a good bid doesn't come in, I'm fine with him beign a squad player too. I think if he went to a Bournemouth as 1st choice centre back, and got a run, he would quickly look very good for them, and look great value too. I'm not sure he will ever be an elite centre back though.

That being a winner thing has definitely been true with managers too. I think it's what largely led to us appointing Ronald Koeman, on the basis of what he had won (mostly as a player). I mean Roy Keane is a "winner" on the pitch- in the easiest sense of the word, and you can see listening to him would be perfect on the pitch, but can also see how he would be an awful manager, and in honesty once he stopped performing on the pitch a massive pain. To a degree, Neville Southall was probably a bit like that, and it's why once he was dropped Kendall sent his as far away from Bellefield as possible (and even told him he couldn't train with the 1st team).

As for Holgate, I think he has got a good atittude on the whole, there are technical issues with him. His awareness isnt great and has never been great. To a degree it is something that improves with age, so there is some hope, but his general awareness is poor (a bit like that Gomez at Liverpool, they don't have the peripheral vision good defenders have where they sense whats behind them).

The big thing with Holgate is probably people going to extremes on him. I appreciate it's often not the same people, but he isn't better than Stones (even when Stones was struggling at City) and nor is he now awful. He's decent. If he had a run of games, he'd probably do ok, but we want better than ok.

We have gone from hating Schneiderlin, Tosun, Niasse to now seeong this lad as the weak link. To a degree it's progress of sort.

I said a few weeks abck, if the right offer came in I'd move him on. He's one of the few saleable assets who we probably wouldn't miss enormously. If a good bid doesn't come in, I'm fine with him beign a squad player too. I think if he went to a Bournemouth as 1st choice centre back, and got a run, he would quickly look very good for them, and look great value too. I'm not sure he will ever be an elite centre back though.
Yep, I agree with all of that. Holgate did better last year than I thought he was capable of, I thought he did really well, but only in a relative sense. I think he's a decent player who just isn't ever going to be good enough to be a regular starter for a side with any real ambition. As you say, he's young enough to prove me wrong, but from what I've seen he's just lacking a few too many things. I think people overrate him because he's usually more mobile than whoever he replaces in the backline and so instantly looks better in that regard. Personally i've never really liked the attitude he projects (whether that's his real personality or not I have no idea) but I know others have liked it previously and I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at him for now when thats what he's always been like.

Should stay in the starting line up at all times. Much better than Keane and Mina.

I mean... I'm not sure the display the other day supports that theory.

One of Mina and Keane have to play, alongside one of Godfrey and Holgate. In a low block, Mina and Keane are our best pairing, but if we want to push up, then one of them drops out.

I'd say our best pairing right now for that is Mina and Godfrey, as both are aggressive in the air and decent enough on the ball.

Holgate plays right-back because he's better than Coleman for how we need to play to get results right now, as sad as that is.

Full list of 2019/20 Everton award winners:

Player of the Season - Richarlison
Players' Player of the Season - Mason Holgate
Young Player of the Season - Mason Holgate

Goal of the Season - Leighton Baines
Howard Kendall Award - Duncan Ferguson
Chairman's Blueblood Award - Denise Barratt-Baxendale
Under-23 Player of the Season - Anthony Gordon
Everton Women Player of the Season - Dan Turner
Everton Women Breakthrough Player of the Season - Molly Pike
Fan of the Year - Lewis Docherty
Everton Giant - Pat Van den Hauwe and Gary Stevens
People's Club Award - The Everton Family
Moody Blue Award - Hannah Moody

Shush. Don't say these things
Good player. Young and out of form. You what? Young players have dips in form? Not a chance.

He should be just used at RB if Mina/Keane/Godfrey are fit, and only start if we deploy the wall of four CBS, with Godfrey at LB to push digne up.

He's ahead of Coleman at rb, but he's fourth choice cb now, poss 5th, if branthwaite gets a good loan and comes back and plays to his potential.

I believe this week is ‘FOR’ please also accept this ‘I DONT WANT EVERTON TO SUCCEED’ sticker for you car window as the two views are joined at the hip according to the top minds on grand old team.com/forum. Thank you.
buddy i really enjoyed the /forum detail. thank u.

Status
Not open for further replies.