2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played very well, was very calm at times bringing the ball down and clearing so easily under pressure. He's always done well at right back for us so is a great option to slot in when necessary.

Godfrey and Holgate were near perfect full backs for the game last night, good defensively, strong and quick to deal with Werner and Havertz, don't give them any chances and get the ball straight to the attackers to counter attack. It also left Keane and Mina to deal with Giroud and clean up anything in that area.

The problem might come against weaker teams where we need attacking full backs to create chances where we'll miss Digne especially.

Leicester could be different... if Coleman is fit I can see him coming in for Mina, with Holgate moving central to deal with Vardys pace and movement.

....I like his attitude, he plays like the game matters. Saying that, I think he’s still often found wanting at CB and slows the tempo of the game with his hesitation on the ball and tendency to play back. I prefer him to Kenny as a back-up for Coleman but he’s the type who’ll fight for his place.

Might not be first choice but a terrific player to have in the squad.

....I like his attitude, he plays like the game matters. Saying that, I think he’s still often found wanting at CB and slows the tempo of the game with his hesitation on the ball and tendency to play back. I prefer him to Kenny as a back-up for Coleman but he’s the type who’ll fight for his place.

Might not be first choice but a terrific player to have in the squad.

He's probably a couple of inches too short to be a world class centre back. I have always quite like the idea of him as a fullback to be honest. I'm a bit old fashioned and quite like full backs who can defend first, whch he can. He has enough quality on the ball and speed to just about get away with it, if you have system whereby they sit back.

He also looks to go and impose hismelf on the winger. It was noticeable to me yesterday that Werner dropped deeper and deeper to get into the game. There was a moment in the first half, where Werner had a run on him and he did "just enough" to put him off with the shot. That sort of instinct is critical for good defenders and I like having that at fullback.

Overall, he and Godfrey were up against arguably the 2 best players in the Bundesliga last season and 150m worth of talent, and I thought they both coped comfortably and at times really dominated their opponents. It was a big tick for them both yesterday.

He's probably a couple of inches too short to be a world class centre back. I have always quite like the idea of him as a fullback to be honest. I'm a bit old fashioned and quite like full backs who can defend first, whch he can. He has enough quality on the ball and speed to just about get away with it, if you have system whereby they sit back.

He also looks to go and impose hismelf on the winger. It was noticeable to me yesterday that Werner dropped deeper and deeper to get into the game. There was a moment in the first half, where Werner had a run on him and he did "just enough" to put him off with the shot. That sort of instinct is critical for good defenders and I like having that at fullback.

Overall, he and Godfrey were up against arguably the 2 best players in the Bundesliga last season and 150m worth of talent, and I thought they both coped comfortably and at times really dominated their opponents. It was a big tick for them both yesterday.
Cannavaro wasn't tall but could read the game. Same goes for Carvahlo at Chelsea. If you match him with the right type of player he could be a brilliant ball playing centre half.

Status
Not open for further replies.