2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does replacing 4th choice mean he's not good enough to ever play???? Ever heard of cups? Injuries? Suspensions? Rotation?
That's all well and good but I envision the fourth choice as someone with long term potential to make it up to a starting spot. If Holgate is 23, played in the team for a few seasons and still 4th choice it starts to seem like that isn't going to happen. To me at that point we should be finding a new player like we did with Stones and Holgate originally or looking at what the youth teams have to offer. To me the coming months and the summer are his last chance to make it here.

That's all well and good but I envision the fourth choice as someone with long term potential to make it up to a starting spot. If Holgate is 23, played in the team for a few seasons and still 4th choice it starts to seem like that isn't going to happen. To me at that point we should be finding a new player like we did with Stones and Holgate originally or looking at what the youth teams have to offer. To me the coming months and the summer are his last chance to make it here.

23 is still really young for a centre-half.

23 is still really young for a centre-half.
It's the fact that he hasn't gotten much better since he debuted at age 20 that worries me. I honestly think he's basically the same player that we had when he started. If he starts to show growth than yes you are right he has plenty of time left.

Speed, think he’s a good tackler, composed, not as bad in the air as some might say, good forward passer for me. I just think he needs experience now.

I feel much safer with him playing than Keane.
Speed I agree.
Tackling sure he's fine at that.
In the air he's fine. He loses to the players you'd expect but holds his own otherwise. I do feel he can be exploited if teams really wanted to.
Massively disagree about the passing. He is composed in that he will take a touch and not rush to hoof it. It doesn't mean the ball goes to his team when he does pass.

Not the right thread but I can't decide on Keane. At times he's been quite good but last week he was terrible and that Leicester game he made a disaster of a mistake.

In times gone by I would have said he's too small for CB and needs to fill out but with the way the game has changed from the majority of teams having a big man up front to more mobile players, he may well end up CB, he is decent on the ball which is good for modern football.

I thinkhe needs to start showing more now, he's got Prem games under his belt but still can't find a settled position which may hamper him.

He has to be a better option at rb than Coleman currently is, charging upfield and getting caught out of position as we lose the ball. A defenders main job is to defend. We have to stop conceding cheap goals, as we look like doing every time the opposition break forward.

He has to be a better option at rb than Coleman currently is, charging upfield and getting caught out of position as we lose the ball. A defenders main job is to defend. We have to stop conceding cheap goals, as we look like doing every time the opposition break forward.

He could be like Lescott a cb who gets games at full back until enough experience gained and then slot in at cb. Make us stronger defensively and also a threat at set pieces. If we go 3 at the back he would be a cb not wb.

He could be like Lescott a cb who gets games at full back until enough experience gained and then slot in at cb. Make us stronger defensively and also a threat at set pieces. If we go 3 at the back he would be a cb not wb.

....Lescott was a very good CB who could play LB because of his quality. Holgate is a RB who can cover at CB but does not have Lescott’s quality.

I don't see the comparison. Lescott is probably the best defender we've had this century.

Holgate is much quicker than Lescott was though, plus he’s taller than Coleman (I think). It’s bothered me for years that we’ve had the smallest pair of full backs in the Prem in Coleman & Baines. During most of that time Jagielka also played and he can’t be much over than 6 foot. Did I see a stat once that said we concede more than anyone from corners? Buying Mina should have sorted this to a degree but he’s barely played.

....Lescott was a very good CB who could play LB because of his quality. Holgate is a RB who can cover at CB but does not have Lescott’s quality.
I don't see the comparison. Lescott is probably the best defender we've had this century.

I agree he is not as good but I was saying that playing a cb at fb gives you more solidity and can work. I should maybe have compared him to Gary Neville it may have been better. I'm not saying he is as goid just positionally similiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.