Martinez transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Saturday, we have the following injured.....
Kone
Traore
Jagielka
Distin
Gibson
Pienaar
Mirallas
Oviedo

Can you imagine the mess we would be in if Roberto had not beefed up the squad?

Nearly all the players in the squad look far better than they did under the previous boss and there are players who will now consider joining us who ever would have considered it before.

We are even considered a safe option by Barca for their young talent.

All the young players now know that if they are good enough, they will get their chance to play. That was not the case for a long time. We could go a seriously long way in the Europa Leage (if we dot make the Champions) or either of the domestic cups. We could easily have 60 competitive games next year with a lot of our players having been to the world cup. Al our squad will get chances and they will respond.

It is all positive under Roberto.

Full stop.

I don't mean to pick you out here. I see it a lot, from a lot of people, I'm just using this a springboard for fume.

Kone was a starting striker for a Premier league team last year. He scored 13 goals. I get the argument that we may feel we could have gotten a better option - but I argue it wouldn't be much better. Who would we get for 6 million to be a second striker that has proven the ability to fit into a Martinez system and score goals in the Prem?

Due to the influx of wealth in the past 10 years (tv deal increases, sugar daddy owners, rising ticket prices) players generally cost more than they used to. I'm sure we could find that player costs are outstripping inflation considerably. Gone are the days of buying a solid bench striker for a couple million UNLESS you get very lucky or bring a kid through the ranks.

Kone was appropriately priced for his era and record.

You make valid points. I just would have thought he could have bought someone a bit younger for a similar price, similar to the Mirallas transfer. Bringing in Kone just seemed a bit lazy to me.

Being an Everton isn't easy, £6m is a lot for our club and any transfer north of £5m will be scrutinised to the nth degree.

The problem with Evertonians is we develop an unhealthy love for managers look at Moyes, for all he done he clearly had his faults but you had a section of fans that could never bring themselves to criticise him and come out with the IMWT after every post. Its the same with Martinez now, he's had a boss season so your gonna get people that simply cant find a fault in him.

Name a bad transfer he has done mate? either in or out, Kone is the obvious shout - but Jesus the guy blew his knee out before even getting match fit after 168 minutes of substitute appearances

You make valid points. I just would have thought he could have bought someone a bit younger for a similar price, similar to the Mirallas transfer. Bringing in Kone just seemed a bit lazy to me.

Being an Everton isn't easy, £6m is a lot for our club and any transfer north of £5m will be scrutinised to the nth degree.
I think it was the 'safe' option. He knew what he was getting.

Mirallas, while a great buy, was not a 'safe' choice. He did well in Greece, which is basically meaningless. I think Martinez went with safe options early because he had to work with the squad to know what we really needed, and he didn't want to f up his first window entirely.

Remember Kone came REALLY early on. The second part is a fact, but it's something we as fans need to get over for attackers at least. They simply cost loads these days and we need to understand that we're unlikely to get a superstar for that price up top. If we want to push on, we have to see 1m-7m players as squad fillers and first teamers as loans, youth, and anyone we buy for > 7m.

Cahill (for example) was a great player for us, and I'd love to have him again for 1 million, but he isn't what we need to regularly push top 4 anymore. The league has changed. We HAVE to spend more money and look at alternative methods to building a squad. Don't think the greatest scout in the world could buy us a squad to challenge top 4 for buttons anymore. Too much money in the league.

Name a bad transfer he has done mate? either in or out, Kone is the obvious shout - but Jesus the guy blew his knee out before even getting match fit after 168 minutes of substitute appearances

Robles and Kone were both poor signings IMO, the fact Kone is near 30 for £6 million I would have rathered he took a chance on a younger decent striker from La Liga or somewhere.

Robles and Kone were both poor signings IMO, the fact Kone is near 30 for £6 million I would have rathered he took a chance on a younger decent striker from La Liga or somewhere.
Considering we had no decent striker in the side? You'd rather he guess at a player that 'may' come good, rather than buy a known decent quantity?

NEWS JUST IN

Manager of football team makes poor transfer shocker
bebe-2010-8-17-11-0-491.jpg

He needed to bring in someone who knew his system to play up front mate, not a chance on earth if we had had a forward capable of playing it here that he would have bought him, Robles gets unfair flack tbh, he annoys with his punches but he's never cost us a game and he is a long term backup nowt more

Status
Not open for further replies.