2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's mental that we even play like that away to be honest. Why not aim to win your home games by playing expressive football against the right teams and then try the same things away from home? What have we got to lose seen as our away form is absolutely tragic.

It only takes a run and we will bang up there. This season is weird as there's going to be not much between 3rd and 20th in terms of squads and ability. It will all come down to a bit of class and fractions

Trouble is Silva teams are capable of massive runs of bad form , but like Xmas last year

Nothing less than similar quality, hard work or effort put in last week will suffice in the next game.

if we fall way below last week’s standards again then I’m afraid we will all still be wasting our time.

we did say he isn’t going to be judged on a game by game basis, but if we slump again after 1 good performance then I see no future with him.

...and I think that is very fair, but the club will know Gbamin hasn’t featured, Gomes has been out with injury, Kean is yet to fire and Silva will not get his pacy CB until January. I’m not defending Silva in the least, but unless there is another disastrous run of defeats, I think he’ll be safe this season.
It is clear there is no appetite at the club to get rid of Marco Silva and that is both good and bad.
Good in that the club is staying with the manager rather than a knee jerk reaction to a run of bad results giving the manager a chance to establish a winning team.

Bad in that this loyalty to the manager may drag the club down if we see more Sheffield United performances than West Ham performances going forward. Bad if we see the manager return to the team formation and personnel that we saw before the last game.

We don't have an injury crisis really as having one player injured who has barely played for us anyway can be called a crisis.
We certainly do have to make allowances for settling at a club and we have Iwobi,Kean,Delph,Sidibe all in that category.
There is an argument also that maybe the squad has been left light in certain areas although as yet we have not seen that causing a problem.

I do agree that he will be given this season if at all possible but I think by the end of the season we would want to be solidly in the top half and at least chasing Europe if he wants to be sure of another season.

Nothing less than similar quality, hard work or effort put in last week will suffice in the next game.

if we fall way below last week’s standards again then I’m afraid we will all still be wasting our time.

we did say he isn’t going to be judged on a game by game basis, but if we slump again after 1 good performance then I see no future with him.

These are my sentiments whilst hoping that Silva can pull us through this and come out the other side. It may actually make him stronger and a better manager with us if he can do so.

But for too long we follow up a good performance and result with another where the players look as if they couldn't care less, and that just has to stop. We have to take defeat and not getting our just reward on occasion when it happens, but the Jekyll and Hyde act has no excuses anymore. It has gone on long enough.

....there really won’t be an appetite for sacking Silva from within the club, Moshiri won’t want the turmoil of a new manager search. The West Ham result will have taken the pressure significantly off, as long as we look like having more than 20 points at Christmas I very much doubt there’ll be a sacking.
That's the problem though, he should be under pressure to win every match, not just trundle through to Christmas picking up the odd point here and there until he reaches the magical 20 point mark.

Reading The Athletic’s latest piece on him, it sounds like it was absolutely skill and hard work rather than luck which brought about the positive change against West Ham. The only exception perhaps being Davies, who he probably wouldn’t have played were it not for injuries.

Speaking of which, it’s genuinely nice to read decent journalism for a change, it’s £24 for a year via toffeetv.
It's funny that a unexpected injury to Morgan might have saved him his job.

It's funny that a unexpected injury to Morgan might have saved him his job.

...that’s the way these things often pan out. I think I posted a while ago that a Manager will often stumble on a system or formation that works. I’m not for one minute saying Silva up is a top manager, but many in that category came close to being sacked before turning things around.

Status
Not open for further replies.