2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is "turning their nose up" at Mourinho. His record speaks for itself

However, the last time he succeeded at a club that wasn't already a big successful club was Porto, which is getting on for two decades ago

We've seen the scorched earth he leaves at clubs when he leaves. The difference is that Chelsea, Real and Man United have had big fat pockets to spend their way out of the hole he leaves them in

There's no guarantee that Mourinho can even succeed here, and even if he did it will take years to get the club back on its feet when he leaves

We simply don't have the budget for it to work (Unless Usmanov is definitely coming in)

If it's a choice between a year or two of success followed by more decades in the wilderness or a prolonged period of success but less short term gratification, then I'll happily take the latter

re your first point, he is mourinho mate of course he is going to take over big successful clubs, why would a serial winner like him go from a massive club and think hang on im gonna take over Watford next just so they're on my CV

don't agree with porto being the last club he took over and made them great either

Chelsea had never won the premier league and he took over ( granted he had money ) and won the league in his first season ( it's not just about having loads of money see man city, it took them years )

he took over inter Milan and won their first ever champions league, as soon as he left inter they haven't been the same since

real Madrid won the league in his first season didn't he?

come back to Chelsea and again won the league in his first full season back was it?

he's deemed a failure at united but still won 3 or 4 trophies for them ( look at the state of them now )

the man wouldn't ever come to us for budget reasons like you have said, but hypothetically if we did have a budget to suit him and he was game he should be the number 1 on the shortlist

People are turning their noses up, saying we dont want him is turninv your nose up. Anyway the fact our fans wouldn't like to see one of the elite managers in football at the helm baffles me, sorry, we should be doing everything to attract a name now, we've tried flavour of the month. I do have my concerns about mourinhi but sod it lets have a go, at some point we havevto start being taken seriously

To "turn your nose up" is to suggest something isn't good enough for you

That's not what people are saying or doing

Something can still be good but not right for you for other reasons

That's not turning your nose up

re your first point, he is mourinho mate of course he is going to take over big successful clubs, why would a serial winner like him go from a massive club and think hang on im gonna take over Watford next just so they're on my CV

don't agree with porto being the last club he took over and made them great either

Chelsea had never won the premier league and he took over ( granted he had money ) and won the league in his first season ( it's not just about having loads of money see man city, it took them years )

he took over inter Milan and won their first ever champions league, as soon as he left inter they haven't been the same since

come back to Chelsea and again won the league in his first full season back was it?

he's deemed a failure at united but still won 3 or 4 trophies for them ( look at the state of them now )

the man wouldn't ever come to us for budget reasons like you have said, but hypothetically if we did have a budget to suit him and he was game he should be the number 1 on the shortlist

The Chelsea side he took over had been runners up and reached the semi final of the CL.

There's very little evidence in his career of him taking a mid table side ahead of several well financed and established big/bigger domestic opponents.

Even if usmanov wanted to blow his fortune ffp would make it difficult..

Mourinho would be a mistake.

He's getting it wrong tactically and he needs to change it. I think it's genuinely as simple as dropping Sigurdsson into a midfield three so the game is in front of him rather than him playing with his back to goal. I think Richarlison and Iwobi need to play out wide but basically as strikers. Far, far too often one of them is crossing in to Kean or DCL who is completely isolated. It needs to be Sigurdsson playing a ball from deep, or Digne/Coleman playing crosses into 3 men rather than 1. Change it or get sacked Marco.

Also, I can't be the only one completely sick of seeing us play exactly the same way for about a decade.
Echo's of Martinez,everybody can seem to see where he's failing in team set up except him.

The Chelsea side he took over had been runners up and reached the semi final of the CL.

There's very little evidence in his career of him taking a mid table side ahead of several well financed and established big/bigger domestic opponents.

Even if usmanov wanted to blow his fortune ffp would make it difficult..

Mourinho would be a mistake.

runners up but finished a good dozen behind arsenal, and knocked out the UCL by Monaco ( hardly great )

either way he still won the league

secondly, theirs little evidence because he's to good of a manager to take over a mid table side ( well he certainly was in the day )

by your logic pep guardiola wouldn't be good for us either then because he's only ever been at top clubs

mourinho would be unreal ( again it won't happen )

But we don't have the budget, and we all know we don't have the budget, so mentioning him is pointless
If we had unlimited cash as Chelsea had when Mourinho was first appointed then he might be an option.

We know that Mourinho is not into developing clubs over a period of time and we know that at best he would probably stay no longer than three years.

There would be a big risk in appointing Mourinho because he would spend a lot of money, he would then isolate a portion of the squad, he would buy players for the present rather than the future , it is uncertain in what state the club would be after he left.

The positives are that he would probably get us into a position of being top six at least.... even then if he were to leave we would be attractive to the better managers around Europe.

Benitez has worked with the biggest clubs just as Jose has done but at Newcastle Benitez worked with a minimal budget and did remarkably well.
He left Newcastle because they did not buy into his long term strategy for the club... he would be my choice.

None of these managers may have an interest in coming to Everton but at the moment it is a hypothetical situation anyway.

If we got Mourinho we’d win a trophy. It might not be pretty, it might all end in tears in a few years but would anyone really care if an Everton captain was lifting the league cup/FA cup/Europa League? No.

Not there on then. The true answer may depend on where the club is a year or two from that moment though. He's left utter chaos behind him several times now.

You're talking about fine tuning already very good sides though. Inter had won 3 consecutive titles before he went there, Real had finished 2nd by 4 points the season before he went, Chelsea had finished 3rd the season before he went back. None of those are in any way comparable to taking a side which has been firmly mired in midtable for years into the promised land.

If we had the sort of enormous budget we'd need to get him he'd be behind a few others on my shortlist too to be honest.

You're talking about fine tuning already very good sides though. Inter had won 3 consecutive titles before he went there, Real had finished 2nd by 4 points the season before he went, Chelsea had finished 3rd the season before he went back. None of those are in any way comparable to taking a side which has been firmly mired in midtable for years into the promised land.

If we had the sort of enormous budget we'd need to get him he'd be behind a few others on my shortlist too to be honest.

I do get what you're saying, but how can you use that against him? he's never took a team from mid table to be great because he hasn't had to do it, he COULD come in and take us right up the league you never know, but id trust a serial winner like moruinho more than I would trust silva

I do get what you're saying, but how can you use that against him? he's never took a team from mid table to be great because he hasn't had to do it, he COULD come in and take us right up the league you never know, but id trust a serial winner like moruinho more than I would trust silva
I'm not holding it against him. I don't think he'd be a good fit here personally, but the point was more that the idea that he guarantees success is slightly skewed by the fact that he tends to manage sides who usually win things anyway. He might genuinely be some sort of force of nature who just wins things wherever he is, but he might also just be well suited to the sort of 'marginal gains' projects where he can just come in and spend a load of money to make a side slightly better than they already were. I don't buy the idea that making him our manager would mean we'd definitely win stuff, which is what some people are proposing.

I think the question is:

Are there any clubs in world football that will offer him the budgets he is used to at Chelsea/Real Madrid?

PSG aside (who may not ever go for him) I can't see any other top club appointing him and offering vastly different sums to what we can.

I still doubt he'll be an option as Brands/Kenwright I feel would go for a younger manager which is a shame - although I would love someone like Ten Hag regardless of it being a relative risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.