2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
în all seriousness would love another clean sheet Friday and win. I'll start to get excited.

Clear as day he is a tactically astute coach and puts loads of time into players off the pitch.

Early days yet but I like what I see defensively solid and expansive going forward just need to onion bag more often

I know we all want to watch easy flowing attacking football, and we did get to see a good bit of that through portions of last season....but to me the best sign that Silva has what it takes is if an offensive minded manager can get down to basics and consistently produce clean sheets like he has, it says a lot for his tactics and understanding of the game. When you only concede a few goals like the top few clubs do it makes every match much much easier, and is the real difference maker between the top 4 and the rest of the league.

These early fixtures against lesser sides are a great opportunity to get points on the board and this bozo is playing Bambi week in week out resulting in us playing with 10 men.

We would have 1 point of out Palace and Watford had Pickford not pulled off two quality saves.

Just stop it Marco lad and get Kean on the pitch.

Spot on. Season doesn't get defined by dropping points at Villa on Friday. We definitely don't want to but we aren't City and there will be blips along the way. It is crazy to think there will be a few people on here that call for Silva's head if we don't get 3 points. On the other end of that there'll be Champions League threads if we get 3 points.
I agree but part me of thinks this game is a sort of indicator of where we are as a team. "Typical Everton" would lose this or scrape a draw. A win would set us up nicely and show we're serious. A bit like the win over Palace in 2004. But I'm probably putting too much importance on it.

I think a big issue last season was fitness. Silva plays quite an aggressive pressing game off the ball. That mixed with a thin squad full of dead wood led to a lot of players tiring around December. Our form picked up after that long 3-4 week break we had in Feb. Gomes especially you saw a big difference in his fitness levels after that break.

I agree but part me of thinks this game is a sort of indicator of where we are as a team. "Typical Everton" would lose this or scrape a draw. A win would set us up nicely and show we're serious. A bit like the win over Palace in 2004. But I'm probably putting too much importance on it.

I think all away games in general are a test for us, and an indicator of where we are in that sense.

We have struggled over many years to get results away, mostly that comes just from not being good enough.

Now that we are somewhat better, I'd expect things to improve in that respect and the Villa game is a good benchmark of where we are alright.

It has as much to do with the internal expectation that Silva and the players have for this sort of game as anything else.

More often than not, I think we go out happy to settle for a point and if you have that mindset, that's all you'll get at most.

We are better than Villa, I'd like to see us impose ourselves on them rather than dropping back but I still don't think we are there are a team to go out with that attitude.

These early fixtures against lesser sides are a great opportunity to get points on the board and this bozo is playing Bambi week in week out resulting in us playing with 10 men.

We would have 1 point of out Palace and Watford had Pickford not pulled off two quality saves.

Just stop it Marco lad and get Kean on the pitch.

We would have 6 points out of 6 if Sigurdsson and Richarlison hadn’t fluffed sitters. See, we can all do ifs and buts.

Well his stats at Hull and Watford weren’t great
His stats till Feb this year were poor too
I was sceptical and critical of his defensive capabilities and he proved me right till Feb and then turned it around massively
His clean sheet and goals conceded have improved out of all recognition since the 17 day break and I have changed my perception of him.
Mina /Keane is looking as good as Keane /Zouma but the lack of pace at the back not to mention cover at CB is a worry
In both games so far Pickford has faced 1vs 1 and saved us

Missing one item there - goals scored?

We would have 6 points out of 6 if Sigurdsson and Richarlison hadn’t fluffed sitters. See, we can all do ifs and buts.

Players miss chances every game but keepers dont often (or shouldnt be expected to) pull off worldie saves every week.

Fact is with DCL in the side we are aiming tight wins at present which puts us under massive pressure if the opposition scores just the one.

Kean has had 3-4 weeks with the squad and 2 sub appearances off the bench - its criminal not to be starting him Friday.

If he doesnt and we end up drawing losing 1-0/2-1/0-0/1-1 with a limp attack with Bambi running around looking busy as per its all on Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.