2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's doing OK but why no adequate cover for central defence?

We have not conceded at home since 6th February (apparently) yet this magnificent record is hanging by a string if Keane or Mina get crocked.

I was expecting something a bit more dynamic when he came here; probably because when he was at Hull and Watford those teams were not as respected as Everton and gave a lot of space to play in, so he sent them out to play. His time here has not seen us play that adventurously.

Formation is set in stone at 4231, it appears. I also think we're not helped by Sigurdsson, who is lacking in pace. I dont think he'd have bought him if he was manager a few years back, he wouldn't have made it into Silva's Watford team.

IMO Silva will persevere keeping us hard to beat. The only time we'll see us go for it is against teams above us who you will get battered by anyway if you're not offensive, so you might as well set up to have a go.

Tbf mate I think we are trying to build the attacking prowess in the team, Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi; all good young players with room for improvement. Bernard is hopefully gonna start getting better numbers being a year wiser in England. We play with attacking full backs. Missing an out and out goal scorer in this team.

I think the pragmatism from Silva was warranted, if you’re team hasn’t got many goals in them make sure the defence is on point.

I think any manager needs something they arent given nowdays,time, there really isnt a manager in the world who can change everything in a season,the top 4/6 have a 10 year head start on the rest of the league and shouts of hes spent £200m so should be up there challenging them,well United have just spent almost half that amount on 1 player,any one taking the seat here has a massive job,play the right way,contend with the rs and show they get the club,I think hes heading the right way but feel it will be a little while longer before its properly his team

Tbf mate I think we are trying to build the attacking prowess in the team, Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi; all good young players with room for improvement. Bernard is hopefully gonna start getting better numbers being a year wiser in England. We play with attacking full backs. Missing an out and out goal scorer in this team.
I think the pragmatism from Silva was warranted, if you’re team hasn’t got many goals in them make sure the defence is on point.
The reason he has every right to be concerned about losing a solid CB and not replacing him, and Gueye's sale.

I just have the feeling that he'll use his time here at Everton a lot more conservatively then he did elsewhere in England. He'll want no massive collapses like Martinez and then Koeman suffered, so doubt we'll ever see us being thumped in many games. He knows his audience and he'll play to that.

From today’s Times

English lessons, house-hunting and buddy systems: how clubs help signings settle in

Kean and Gbamin arrived at Everton in the summer window and require help settling into a new country

Marco Silva will sit down, one by one, with his new signings this week and present another tailor-made analysis session designed to speed up the integration of Everton’s latest recruits.

Yet the bespoke services the club provides the likes of Moise Kean and Jean-Philippe Gbamin, two £25 million summer arrivals, aimed at ensuring their immediate assimilation extends way beyond the positions they should take up on the pitch.

There are English lessons to organise, chauffeurs to book, house viewings to arrange, restaurants and hotels to recommend and everyday practicalities, such as setting up national insurance numbers and bank accounts, to cover.

After the deals between clubs have been agreed, private jets have delivered precious cargo and multi-million pound contracts have been signed, the bedding in of players, and importantly, their families, runs in conjunction with the football side.

Such work has become a staple at Premier League clubs and Everton boasts a full-time, first-team player care manager in Charlotte Renshaw, who supports their individual needs and requirements.

All new players receive an induction pack which tells them all about the history of the club, the work the club does in the community, background information on all the squad and details on the local area such as recommendations for places to live depending on their individual requirements.
There are three levels to the support Everton offer.

Category one details players who have never lived in the United Kingdom before, such as Kean who arrived from Juventus, Gbamin from Mainz and Djibril Sidibé on loan from Monaco, and who therefore require support with virtually everything.

While player agencies also offer help to their clients, Everton will source cars, help find GPs and dentists and provide information on any cultural requirements, for example the whereabouts of the local mosque.
For signings such as Alex Iwobi and Jonas Lossl, brought in from Arsenal and Huddersfield Town respectively, the focus is more on relocation packages and ensuring family members are settled.

Fabian Delph, signed from Manchester City, falls into category three, given he already lived in the northwest and has spent his entire career in English football. Everton would help with any specific requirements he has, but assisting the midfielder is relatively straightforward.

“Ultimately, they all require different levels of support, but the idea is the club takes away as much of the stress of moving to a new club — and in some cases a new country — as possible so the player is free to concentrate on their football,” said Renshaw, who has worked for Everton since 2012.
There is an onus on the existing players to assist the settling in process. New captain Séamus Coleman formally welcomed all the new players, taking them on a tour of the training ground and introducing them to each squad member. The initiation ritual of singing for the rest of the group has already taken place.

“Our squad morale is very good,” said the Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. “We have got a lot of different nationalities and we all gel together as one big unit. That goes a long way. The dressing room has to be good in football and ours is very good. That is the starting point.

“They are good lads. The songs? I don’t know what they were. I’m not French [speaking] or Italian! It’s one of those things in this industry. Some people don’t mind doing it, some people hate doing it — me being one of them.

“It’s about bedding in and it is a good welcome to the club. If you can understand the language, I’m sure that they did well but I didn’t stick around in school long enough to learn.”
Kean has made two substitute appearances for Everton as Silva eases him into first-team action while he gets to grips with a new league

Everton also have in place a “buddy” system of sorts where the club looks to pair a new recruit with a member of the squad with whom they might have something in common. This could be based upon nationality, or having played together at a previous club which helped André Gomes, Lucas Digne and Yerry Mina following their arrivals from Barcelona last summer.
In the case of Italy international Kean and Ivorian Gbamin, they both speak French and so have struck up a bond. They have also been staying at the same city centre hotel with the club organising lifts to and from training and any trips out.

Both will now start English lessons. Kean, the 19-year-old forward, already speaks limited English, while Gbamin, 23, commands good conversational English but will also have lessons in due course.
There are usually three lessons per week, either at home or Everton’s Finch Farm training HQ, and they can be one-on-one or group sessions with all the family.

All of this underpins and aids the work Silva is doing as he seeks to fast-track players signed at the end of the transfer window into the first team.

“I sit with them and work with them not just on the pitch, but with some videos so they can realise what we want in all the moments,” said Silva.

“Normally, we do all the job at Finch Farm with them. When they go home, I want them to rest, to relax with the family, keep thinking about the football, yes, and then come in the day after to work hard.

“The Premier League is different. Even though they have quality when they come here, we are talking about different players, different leagues.”

Status
Not open for further replies.