2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not impressed with his approach to games as well to start.

I was expecting something a bit more dynamic when he came here; probably because when he was at Hull and Watford those teams were not as respected as Everton and gave a lot of space to play in, so he sent them out to play. His time here has not seen us play that adventurously.

Formation is set in stone at 4231, it appears. I also think we're not helped by Sigurdsson, who is lacking in pace. I dont think he'd have bought him if he was manager a few years back, he wouldn't have made it into Silva's Watford team.

IMO Silva will persevere keeping us hard to beat. The only time we'll see us go for it is against teams above us who you will get battered by anyway if you're not offensive, so you might as well set up to have a go.

I was expecting something a bit more dynamic when he came here; probably because when he was at Hull and Watford those teams were not as respected as Everton and gave a lot of space to play in, so he sent them out to play. His time here has not seen us play that adventurously.

Formation is set in stone at 4231, it appears. I also think we're not helped by Sigurdsson, who is lacking in pace. I dont think he'd have bought him if he was manager a few years back, he wouldn't have made it into Silva's Watford team.

IMO Silva will persevere keeping us hard to beat. The only time we'll see us go for it is against teams above us who you will get battered by anyway if you're not offensive, so you might as well set up to have a go.

I think we all have to cut the manager a little slack. Lets be honest, in February nobody cared that he needed time to implement a system, or that he was playing one of the youngest teams in the league or was taking time to put into place a new system. I don't think as a manager you get that time anymore which in many ways is a great shame.

He had to think pragmatically to secure his job and get another season. He stumbled upon a formula that made us hard to beat. Over the course of the season we have to hope, with Iwobi and perhaps to a greater degree Kean can begin to give us some attacking edge, as well as hopefully Gomes, Bernard and Richarlinson adding more (which they are well capable of).

As for Sigurdsson I agree. He doesn't really fit how the manager wants to play. Had we signed Doucoure and Zaha I think you'd have seen him phased out over time. However as things stand, Sigurdsson scored 13 goals last season and moving to a 4-3-3 and replacing him with a midfielder will mean we lose those goals. We are not ready as a team for that yet. We will only probably be ready when the above players really start contributing.

The pragmatism is fine for me though. I understand people may say it's boring, but the same people were probably calling for his head last year so you can't have it both ways. He's clearly a talented coach and I am impressed with our defensive organisation. Maybe people were a bit confused at what they were getting initially as we lumped all Iberian managers in together?

I was expecting something a bit more dynamic when he came here; probably because when he was at Hull and Watford those teams were not as respected as Everton and gave a lot of space to play in, so he sent them out to play. 1) His time here has not seen us play that adventurously.

2) Formation is set in stone at 4231, it appears. I also think we're not helped by Sigurdsson, who is lacking in pace. I dont think he'd have bought him if he was manager a few years back, he wouldn't have made it into Silva's Watford team.

IMO Silva will persevere keeping us 3)hard to beat. The only time we'll see us go for it is against teams above us who you will get battered by anyway if you're not offensive, so you might as well set up to have a go.

1) true which is why I have said a few times attack the game.

2) Hence DCL upfront in a no 9 shirt, S/B doing a 4-3-3 with the players we have.

3) Hard to beat is good but winning not drawing is better.

I think we all have to cut the manager a little slack. Lets be honest, in February nobody cared that he needed time to implement a system, or that he was playing one of the youngest teams in the league or was taking time to put into place a new system. I don't think as a manager you get that time anymore which in many ways is a great shame.

He had to think pragmatically to secure his job and get another season. He stumbled upon a formula that made us hard to beat. Over the course of the season we have to hope, with Iwobi and perhaps to a greater degree Kean can begin to give us some attacking edge, as well as hopefully Gomes, Bernard and Richarlinson adding more (which they are well capable of).

As for Sigurdsson I agree. He doesn't really fit how the manager wants to play. Had we signed Doucoure and Zaha I think you'd have seen him phased out over time. However as things stand, Sigurdsson scored 13 goals last season and moving to a 4-3-3 and replacing him with a midfielder will mean we lose those goals. We are not ready as a team for that yet. We will only probably be ready when the above players really start contributing.

The pragmatism is fine for me though. I understand people may say it's boring, but the same people were probably calling for his head last year so you can't have it both ways. He's clearly a talented coach and I am impressed with our defensive organisation. Maybe people were a bit confused at what they were getting initially as we lumped all Iberian managers in together?
Oh, I think undoubtedly Everton supporters have shaped Silva to fit in with them. I dont think it's his natural inclination to play cautiously (keeping clean sheets is another issue though, as his rrcord in Portugal was good in that respect, so Everton's shut outs are no great surprise). Supporters want a solid defence and value workrate...if brilliance and audaciousness can be placed on top of that then great, but it;s not a primary aim of most Everton fans in the last 20 years, IMO. We all know what happens when a manager goes for a buccaneering approach at this club....

It is how the manager uses them that counts.

We all know what happens when a manager goes for a buccaneering approach at this club....

Well we dont really.

The last fella who tried it was Koeman, the fella before that was 11th place Martinez.

So we dont know what will happen when an actual decent manager who doesnt ignore the defence tries it.

Silva said himself, he only knows how to play 1 way and thats on the front foot, but unlike the people before him, Moyes aside, he knows how to set up a defence, he knows how to get the players working how he wants them to.

Im quite excited for the future, sure Silva isnt perfect, but I feel with him and Brands steering the ship we are in the best possible hands we could be.

Its not gonna take 2 or 3 seasons and we as a fanbase, LOL, need to be patient, but I feel hes got what it takes.

Everton fans will back any manager that plays football, which is why loads of us kept faith with Martinez even when it was becoming quite clear he couldnt manage a pub team.

In Silva and Brands we trust.

Everton fans will back any manager that plays football, which is why loads of us kept faith with Martinez even when it was becoming quite clear he couldnt manage a pub team.

In Silva and Brands we trust.
Actually, he did manage a pub team...and won the FA Cup with them.

Winning matches, while not on top of your game, is not a bad habit to get into.I was impressed by this comment from Silva, it was something like of course attacking football is important, but you need to be solid defensively (something that a certain Mister Martinez completely forgot about) as well.Otherwise you won't win games.Anyway Villa are up next, and they are under a bit of pressure already.So i think 3 points have to be the target there.But a few months ago we were conceding all sorts of soft goals.But all credit to Silva for completely turning that around.

You have to give Silva credit for turning that dark run around during the middle of last season and getting us to a point were we are as solid as we are now. It really seemed like he'd lost the dressing room and very few managers ever seem to come back from that position. The fact that he did turn it around has probably gone even further to win the respect of the players than if it had all been smooth sailing and he does seem to have instilled a winning mentality in the squad now, you can see the players working harder on the pitch and genuinely celebrating and congratulating each other at the final whistle after grinding out a result. On the attacking side you can't get away from the fact that he has to work with DCL up front - Silva has improved him as a player but his all round play is still some way off what we and Silva needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.