Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbf, that's what we sort of have the players bought for. we have so many wingers now that we can't be playing a 4-4-1-1 sort of formation, we don't have enough strikers to play two up top, our centre backs are all so bad we shouldn't be playing more than two and we're stockpiled with central midfielders who all require another two players in the centre with them.
I can't stand to see two DM's for ANOTHER season I think it's been the downfall of past managers again, It's just horrendous. Now if he plays someone like Gueye and Davies or Gueye and someone who has a bit of attack with him then I'm sound.

He, nor Jose, would have done any better than Sam with the rubbish squad this past season. I don't care what tactics and formations.
Anyone care to dispute that?
Players make the Manager.
Depends how good the manager is.
Supreme example is Clough who created great teams out of glaringly average players.
One of those teams were European champions twice.
Our own Mr. Kendall successfully formed a great team out of rather ordinary players.
There are many more examples, the Greek side that won the European championship for instance.
A brilliant manager can make a collection of uninspiring players a truly inspiring team that is greater than the sum of its parts.
Of course the flip side to this is a poor manager will fail even when blessed with quality players.

I'll happily welcome any manager who's going to come in with a plan and the intention of playing attacking, front-foot football, as it'll be a relief after the horrific football we had to watch last season.

The fact that his approach and priorities don't differ much from Martinez' is a significant drawback, however. Silva could put himself at a huge advantage from the start by studying Martinez' failures here and seeking to avoid making the same mistakes with regards to defending and play off the ball, but I suppose these managers are insanely cocksure and this fella has been given almost no reason to believe his past approach won't continue to advance him in the game, even when it fails.

I expect the defensive side of the game to be neglected and him to be gone within 2 years, either to a bigger club after some short-term success, to eventually be found out, or booted onto the managerial scrap heap after abject failure here. Hopefully it's the former.

I'll happily welcome any manager who's going to come in with a plan and the intention of playing attacking, front-foot football, as it'll be a relief after the horrific football we had to watch last season.

The fact that his approach and priorities don't differ much from Martinez' is a significant drawback, however. Silva could put himself at a huge advantage from the start by studying Martinez' failures here and seeking to avoid making the same mistakes with regards to defending and play off the ball, but I suppose these managers are insanely cocksure and this fella has been given almost no reason to believe his past approach won't continue to advance him in the game, even when it fails.

I expect the defensive side of the game to be neglected and him to be gone within 2 years, either to a bigger club after some short-term success, to eventually be found out, or booted before picking up a cushy national job while we continue to pay him. Hopefully it's the former.

Corrected for you, its how it works with Everton.

I can't stand to see two DM's for ANOTHER season I think it's been the downfall of past managers again, It's just horrendous. Now if he plays someone like Gueye and Davies or Gueye and someone who has a bit of attack with him then I'm sound.

Plenty of teams play with two DM's and manage to play well. Our problem is an unbalanced squad that lacks quality.

I expect the defensive side of the game to be neglected and him to be gone within 2 years, either to a bigger club after some short-term success, to eventually be found out, or booted onto the managerial scrap heap after abject failure here. Hopefully it's the former.

According to the tactical write up on him he is defensively minded more so than attack. Just that he expect the team to work as one when we win back possession and not leave it to 1 or 2 players but to have a number of players hence pulling the opposition out of shape and having more options. No matter what he does if he hasn't got decent defenders then we will suffer. Think the term used was spring loaded midfield and attack from a defensive position. This is why I think we will see Lookman and Walcott utilised and will see some exciting footy. It's basically a Liverpool system.

Depends how good the manager is.
Supreme example is Clough who created great teams out of glaringly average players.
One of those teams were European champions twice.
Our own Mr. Kendall successfully formed a great team out of rather ordinary players.
There are many more examples, the Greek side that won the European championship for instance.
A brilliant manager can make a collection of uninspiring players a truly inspiring team that is greater than the sum of its parts.
Of course the flip side to this is a poor manager will fail even when blessed with quality players.
None of those winning teams you mention were bad squads as poor as our current one. I think you are underestimating those players.
While I understand your point, I still feel players make a Manager. Is Pep going to make Williams play better for example?

oh yeah, i don't think it'd be that. I don't think he had a DM at watford did he? It was a powerful athletic player like doucoure as one of the two, that's what we need, and what i think we'll get alongside gueye. But i still think it's useful to have DM in the squad, that's why i wouldn't be jumping at the prospect of selling schneiderlin. I'd still see that we'd need to buy a replacement for him, regardless of if it's only a backup. Maybe baningime will be trusted with that accolade.

The worst part about it is how dreadful we've looked defensively despite having those two defensive mids on the pitch. It's been the case from Martinez' second season onwards.

The worst part about it is how dreadful we've looked defensively despite having those two defensive mids on the pitch. It's been the case from Martinez' second season onwards.
Yep, it doesn’t make sense. I wonder if that’s because they rely on each other, rather than one taking defensive duties by the scruff of the neck. I don’t think we’ve had proper balance for years, I mean not just across the park, but balance from back to front either.

Status
Not open for further replies.