Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave.
I am fascinated by the role that Silva has played in this. I think everybody would agree that he must have expressed some interest through his agent/s or Everton are unlikely to have pursued somebody who left it be known had no interest in joining our club.

It may well be that he has said that he is happy at Watford and will only leave if an amicable agreement is reached... and just now that seems likely, albeit showing a lack of ambition from Silva.
There is the possibility that he is quietly still trying to engineer a move but at this stage if he still harbour a desire to move then it is hard to see how anything but the nuclear option(resignation) will have any effect.

It does remind me a little our own situation with Lukaku and Stones, as soon as they indicated they wanted to leave it just became a question of when and how much.
We hear about the break clause in the contract, but I would question that at this stage.
I find the whole situation unusual and would ask if we have been looking at Silva since he RK was first sacked or were we trying to get Allyrdyce until next summer and try to attract Silva then.
...or, we're all (most of us anyway) guilty of viewing this process at the wrong speed and need to let it play out with a bit more patience. The time that's elapsed so far suggests to me that may be the case - that the negotiations will be prolonged and open ended with the ultimate nuclear option in the background.

If the EFC board were desperate they'd have got their answer early and left it alone and on to the next target. That doesn't appear to be the case.

I said earlier that I doubt Moshiri has invested a month into this and will meekly walk away. I stick to that. There are twists to come.

Can’t speak for others but I have never, not once, denied that. I disagree that he’s ‘unhappy’ because he could have resigned. We don’t know how he feels - all we have is him saying certain things that I would say constitute him being happy at Watford but perhaps feeling he could be happier at Everton given the opportunity. You can label us many things, but I wouldn’t say the vast majority of Watford fans are stupid - if he’d sulked about, made a fuss, and the team look poor last Sunday, the fans would have quickly turned and wanted him gone. But that didn’t happen so we are happy to accept the situation as it is.

Maybe happier would be a fairer comment, I take that on board. Interesting that you mention about him sulking or the team looked poor on Sunday and the fans could turn on him, but honestly do you not think that the seeds have been sown for that kind of reaction already ? Don't think either he could really have resigned, all the talk of gardening leave, it's not worth his reputation or future job prospects. For what it's worth I don't think we as a club have any Divine right to take any clubs manager, even if we are perceived supposedly with respect as a bigger club. We got away with it with Southampton, for what good that done us, but trying it again in hindsight was plain foolish.

In his recent press conference refused absolutely to answer any questions on this and would only talk about their game with the toons. Got the feeling that there is something behind this screen.

In his recent press conference refused absolutely to answer any questions on this and would only talk about their game with the toons. Got the feeling that there is something behind this screen.
Yeah I agree. He was even asked specifically, for the sake of the Watford fans, to say that he was staying and he wouldn't answer.

Me too. If Silva now knew that he was staying, he would have said so by now. Very easy to come out and say I'm staying, love being here blah blah. Instead he is still talking in rather tedious riddles.

Yeah I agree. He was even asked specifically, for the sake of the Watford fans, to say that he was staying and he wouldn't answer.
Very true. And as a Watford fan, that was the one answer that had me annoyed. The rest were par for the course to be honest. I still don’t think it changes the last 24hrs. It’s been so widely reported by reputable sources to both EFC and WFC that our CEO has asked you to back off and you have agreed. Can’t see that having been done if Silva was pushing aggressively for a move. Only reason I can see this continuing is if we have made that move with the intention of it being something to take to PL if you retract your agreement and pursue him further. I’m sceptical of that though and really think this is over. Possibly temporarily if Unsworth is appointed - permanently if anyone else is.

Dont think it got much further then this....

"I will answer straight, I'm here to talk about our match, Newcastle v Watford and nothing more," says Silva.

"I won't give one more word about this situation. Newcastle-Watford. If you want I will answer 10 or 20 questions for you on that.

"The most important thing for me is Newcastle-Watford. The fans know what is most important for us. We are fully focused on our next game."

Well I wouldn't be happy with that if I was a Watford fan. Will the Watford board really want to keep him just to make a point?

Very true. And as a Watford fan, that was the one answer that had me annoyed. The rest were par for the course to be honest. I still don’t think it changes the last 24hrs. It’s been so widely reported by reputable sources to both EFC and WFC that our CEO has asked you to back off and you have agreed. Can’t see that having been done if Silva was pushing aggressively for a move. Only reason I can see this continuing is if we have made that move with the intention of it being something to take to PL if you retract your agreement and pursue him further. I’m sceptical of that though and really think this is over. Possibly temporarily if Unsworth is appointed - permanently if anyone else is.

Then why did he not come out and say clearly for the fans I am not going anywhere, I am the manager of Watford, end of.

Status
Not open for further replies.