• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange thing is, while I think 7 wins in 20 is rank, I'm not even sure it is Silva I am railing against here. He just strikes me as another faceless coach who will probably get the 40%win ratio by the end of the season, every season, to keep his job until it falls to under 30% in 15 game spell and he gets the boot and we do it all again. It's nothing against him so much, just the grimly overhyped product that is modern, top level football. 5th-15th for the vast majority of clubs is "job done" and the point spread is fairly small.
See what worries me, is I think Moshiri has the ambition of 8th to 12th is fine. Don't get relegated, don't get into Europe or we will have to spend money to bolster the squad to cover the extra games. Just be steady while we think about the ground.

We’re not going down and we won’t challenge anything, our season will rest on the RS. They lose the league and we’ll be joyful; it what we’ve become, a nonentity from a string of failed managerial appointments since the 90’s

The summer comes and so doa couple of teams sniffing around our best players. They leave and we sign a couple of more decent players. They of course need time to bed in, we accept that with another mid table finish and the cycle repeats.

The catalyst to any good team is a truly good manager, who no matter what starting 11 gets them singing his song. He then adds the quality to make them tick.

We have gone down the “throw money at overachieving players and manager and hopefully something will stick” route

Or the coach and players work out and we break this cycle we are all tired of.

What route would you have gone down?

I wanted a coach like Silva when they booted out Martinez, not for us to go back to % football but I couldn't tell you I was ever particularly interested in him in particular or excited to get him in. I think the type of coach we needed to get since then all carried doubts with them as does he.

See what worries me, is I think Moshiri has the ambition of 8th to 12th is fine. Don't get relegated, don't get into Europe or we will have to spend money to bolster the squad to cover the extra games. Just be steady while we think about the ground.

It's not completely outside the realms of possibility. Arsenal did it, albeit at a higher level and had a good coach already in place to cover up the lack of spend relative to their rivals.

But on the flip side we have looked well organised in the games against City and the RS. Solid and clear lines working together with some decent threat in attack.

You are right in picking out those games but I dunno. I started with not expecting much this season apart from getting new players bedded in and at least staying top half, so I am not too concerned yet. I had said I'd be okay being like 12th come season end if there is plenty of positives in the performances but yeah, if we finished the season 10th or below and the season finished with the same level of performance I'd be fine if they went looking again in the summer.

I'm still optimistic we will be fine, but not great, come season end and we will be able to see better times ahead with the second squad upgrade in the summer.

While I think that's a fair way to look at it I don't always think long termism works. The way i see it is that if we finish 12th then we lose richarlison as he will happily move to a man utd etc.

We are then weakened for the next season and will find it difficult to find an equal with his quality particularly with us not offering European football.

A manager has to hit the ground running these days because there's no loyalty anywhere and there's as good a chance that next season we will have a worse squad than there is we will have a better squad. Silva at the moment is below par in my opinion and is a downgrade on our previous manager.

While I think that's a fair way to look at it I don't always think long termism works. The way i see it is that if we finish 12th then we lose richarlison as he will happily move to a man utd etc.

We are then weakened for the next season and will find it difficult to find an equal with his quality particularly with us not offering European football.

A manager has to hit the ground running these days because there's no loyalty anywhere and there's as good a chance that next season we will have a worse squad than there is we will have a better squad. Silva at the moment is below par in my opinion and is a downgrade on our previous manager.

Thats fair enough but what do you do if the manager doesn't hit the ground running? Sack early each season?

It's been that way since money has become such a huge influence in the game, sadly

Only because of the way Everton as a club has reacted to it. We sit in a creaky old stadium, we have zero playing identity, we appoint coaches with little or no track record, and we venerate complete garbage like Pickford and Davies in some weirdly jingoistic, tribal self-flaggelation. There is some suggestion on another forum that we have handed Davies an absolute monster of a new deal - if that doesn't tell you that Everton has something very fundamentally wrong with it, I'm not sure what does; and does Silva strike you as being strong or dedicated enough to fundementally change the club's mentality? I'm not sure.

Or the coach and players work out and we break this cycle we are all tired of.

What route would you have gone down?

I wanted a coach like Silva when they booted out Martinez, not for us to go back to % football but I couldn't tell you I was ever particularly interested in him in particular or excited to get him in. I think the type of coach we needed to get since then all carried doubts with them as does he.

I wanted to avert the flavour of the month option (silva, Howe, Koeman, Martinez) and make a statement, which we should have done after Martinez. I would have lobbed a massive wedge at a top coach and sold him the vision

Only because of the way Everton as a club has reacted to it. We sit in a creaky old stadium, we have zero playing identity, we appoint coaches with little or no track record, and we venerate complete garbage like Pickford and Davies in some weirdly jingoistic, tribal self-flaggelation. There is some suggestion on another forum that we have handed Davies an absolute monster of a new deal - if that doesn't tell you that Everton has something very fundamentally wrong with it, I'm not sure what does; and does Silva strike you as being strong or dedicated enough to fundementally change the club's mentality? I'm not sure.

Good god

I wanted to avert the flavour of the month option (silva, Howe, Koeman, Martinez) and make a statement, which we should have done after Martinez. I would have lobbed a massive wedge at a top coach and sold him the vision

Koeman was being paid more than both Emery at PSG and Zidane at Real Madrid.

Its a shame he has no clue how to appoint a quality manager and he has the money to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.