• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also took over Blackburn a couple of years after being champions, spent a fortune and put them in a worse position. Liverpool fans will tell you he’s one of the worst mangers they’ve ever had.

Was a total disaster for England.

Silva’s Olympiacos won at Arsenal in the champions league, with a team probably costing a tenth of the palace team.

He also took a small Portuguese team from the 2nd division to 4th and 5th place finishes in the top division and into Europe. Roy took over palace 4 games in, bit different to Silva and Hull, already dead and buried and also had to cope with then selling their best 2 players.

Silva is 30yrs younger let’s see what he goes on to achieve. I doubt many fans on here would vote for Roy if you did a poll.
Roy won a ton of championships in Scandinavia and knocked Juventus out of the Champions League with a team of minnows. Silva’s record does not come anywhere near Hodgson’s at the moment, and is unlikely to. Roy is one of the most respected coaches in the game.

It's a fair point you make looking at our league placings but at least we have money to spend and a manager who appreciates all three areas of the pitch(def, mid, attack).
Moyes set us up not to lose but that meant paying the price in the bigger games by not having a proper go. Martinez set us up to attack more but treated the defence and GK positions as an afterthought and that really cost us, arguably right up until this last summer window. Koeman and Walsh absolutely
Moyes set the team up in the way he felt brought the best chance of success. You can argue he was too negative at times, but on the whole he overperformed.

It's a fair point you make looking at our league placings but at least we have money to spend and a manager who appreciates all three areas of the pitch(def, mid, attack).
Moyes set us up not to lose but that meant paying the price in the bigger games by not having a proper go. Martinez set us up to attack more but treated the defence and GK positions as an afterthought and that really cost us, arguably right up until this last summer window. Koeman and Walsh absolutely

Not sure what happened there.
We're in the same place we have been (more or less) for the past 30 years...

On the evidence so far, I'm not convinced this guy is the right man for the job, or Brands for that matter...Priority No 1...sign a proper striker.

Not sure what happened there.
Koeman and Walsh nearly destroyed this club from within with their disastrous recuitment, Unsworth proved the old adage that you cant polish a turd and as for Allerdyce.........
In the short time available to them Brands and Silva have done an excellent job in recruitment and team management, how many times did we send out the same team for two consecutive games last season and the players that have been bought this summer all seem to be decent players and thankfully in the right positions that were needed.
I agree with you in not being entirely convinced by Silva but Brands is doing the business, and will be a major influence on the direction of the club.

Moyes set the team up in the way he felt brought the best chance of success. You can argue he was too negative at times, but on the whole he overperformed.

I thought David Moyes was a decent manager for us. His recruitment was excellent, the players were all fit and disciplined if only we'd had a more attacking mentality playing the likes of Utd and the RS. Always thought That Cahill should have had the Captains armband.
We looked like a decent side in Moyes last season........Everton that!

I thought David Moyes was a decent manager for us. His recruitment was excellent, the players were all fit and disciplined if only we'd had a more attacking mentality playing the likes of Utd and the RS. Always thought That Cahill should have had the Captains armband.
We looked like a decent side in Moyes last season........Everton that!
Doh! I think we would have all been better off if the whopper stayed. Everton that!

If....the longest two letter word in t’ English language.

And what IF yer granny had a pair of you know whats, Toff lol

I know Khal, I know.

But like @MarcelsGoat said, I'm just using it as an example of the fine margins.

It's not like we've been crap. In some games we have, yes, and I think that's to be expected because ultimately we're still a team that are trying to go from one style of play to the polar opposite and that doesn't happen over night.

But in most games - and bare in mind we've won more than we've lost this season - we've been decent. In some games, like Liverpool, for example, we've been more than that and haven't got what we deserved. I'm not bemoaning the bad luck, I just think it's important to highlight those fine margins, because it's not out of the realms of realism to expect Gomes to head in from three yards, or Pickford not to drop that ball on Origi's head, or Tosun to score from a yard out.

Compare their attempts at saving sides from relegation - Roy did it with flying colors at Palace and Fulham. Marco failed at Hull. And compare how they did with mid-table teams - Marco was sacked by Watford and Roy got Fulham to a European final and also did great at WBA. Roy also had more overseas success.

Roy also just masterminded a sparking of the league champions who are managed by the worlds mosg lauded manager!

So did Koeman.

You just have to look at the level of player were bringing in to see that the club is going in the right direction.

If we look at the left side we have:

LB -Digne
LCB- Mina (though he will be switched to the right)
LF- Richarlison / Bernard / Lookman
LCM - Gomes

Sign Gomes and thats 4 starting players + Pickford and its half a team.

January and summer we build the other half and lets see the difference next season ;)

Oh, not at all saying he isn't ultimately responsible. But there's context that have to be used with facts or, like stats, they are meaningless.

My example would be - and @EverBlue92 please take this as a response to your post as well - the games away at the big six. Let's say Old Trafford as an example.

We had 14 shots at Old Trafford. We scored one goal. The system, or the style of play, helped us create those chances. We created more chances at Anfield and the Etihad than any other team this season. Scored one goal over both games.

Palace had 4 shots at the Etihad today. They scored three goals and hit the post with the other.

There's the problem. And as it stands, there's only so much Silva can do. He can't run on the pitch and kick the ball in.

Maybe what he now needs to do is to find a way - either from the start or from in-game changes - to ensure we create more chances, because we clearly need more chances to score more goals. We simply aren't clinical enough so, at least for now, it looks like the answer has to be to purely create a higher volume of chances and let the law of averages do the rest.
I get that and understand but I am suuuuper frustrated right now. We should have a good 8 points more than we do. The "system" looks ok but if you keep playing the same players who don't have any end product and be unhappy about how you don't score, that's kind of on you, no?

I get that and understand but I am suuuuper frustrated right now. We should have a good 8 points more than we do. The "system" looks ok but if you keep playing the same players who don't have any end product and be unhappy about how you don't score, that's kind of on you, no?

If we had a clinical striker we’d be a good 12 points better off. I’m sure it’ll be addressed

But he has made changes?

Tosun wasn't scoring, or having an impact, so he put Richarlison up front and the team play far, far better with Richarlison up top. Far better.

Walcott gets into really good positions but doesn't score, because in that regard he's out of form. However, he's currently one of the only players in the squad who gets in behind teams from a wide position, because Lookman doesn't ever do that.

I'm failing to see what Silva could have done differently in this regard to make us score more. He can only use the players he has at his disposal.

Btw, I want to be clear that it's in this regard only that I don't know what he could have done differently.

For example, I'm not sure playing out from the back in the way that we do currently (splitting the CBs wide but deep) is the way to go against the big sides. But in regards to the point of missing chances, it's down to the players.

But he has made changes?

Tosun wasn't scoring, or having an impact, so he put Richarlison up front and the team play far, far better with Richarlison up top. Far better.

Walcott gets into really good positions but doesn't score, because in that regard he's out of form. However, he's currently one of the only players in the squad who gets in behind teams from a wide position, because Lookman doesn't ever do that.

I'm failing to see what Silva could have done differently in this regard to make us score more. He can only use the players he has at his disposal.

Btw, I want to be clear that it's in this regard only that I don't know what he could have done differently.

For example, I'm not sure playing out from the back in the way that we do currently (splitting the CBs wide but deep) is the way to go against the big sides. But in regards to the point of missing chances, it's down to the players.
Iirc, our "slump" has coincided with not changing the team, no? With the exception of the City match we've played the same team for the last 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.