• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think from Brands comments its fair to see he'll be here next season however Its also fair to say he'll be expected to push on next season.

I fully expect us to finish the season 9/10th however I think anything less than 7th or possibly 8th with a good run in the cups next season and Moshiri/Brands will be getting twitchy especially if big money is spent this summer.
I think the comments suggest that we have identified the targets needed to push forward next season and that Brands will go out and get them when the window opens back up again. So yes we should be looking to push for 7th and some good cup runs next season, anything less and it might start to be awkward for Silva, think we need to just wait and see who comes in at the moment.

I just think as good as Wolves and Watford have been I think we would be a good 6+ points ahead if we were to play to our potential (West Ham)

Im hoping the money is there in the summer for a top notch CF and creative midfielder as its essential we push on next season.
Easy.

And I think that’s a positive. Given how poor we’ve been and how ‘great’ they’ve been, the fact that we are still so close is really positive for next season.

We'd be 7th ahead of both of those tin-pot clubs if we hadn't have had such a short shrift with referees this season.

Big decisions have gone against us at key times in games that we are well in this season.

Man Utd's penalty at Old Trafford, Arsenal's offside goal, Newcastle's offside goal, the goal disallowed for nothing against Spurs...

That's not even mentioning the horrendous luck we've had at different times like Pickford's mistake at Anfield and Baines giving away the penalty away at Bournemouth.
That is just the way it goes though, the standard of referees in this league is woeful at the best of times, i hate the way they say we have the best refs in the PL come and watch it week in week out and you will see things differently.

We'd be 7th ahead of both of those tin-pot clubs if we hadn't have had such a short shrift with referees this season.

Big decisions have gone against us at key times in games that we are well in this season.

Man Utd's penalty at Old Trafford, Arsenal's offside goal, Newcastle's offside goal, the goal disallowed for nothing against Spurs...

That's not even mentioning the horrendous luck we've had at different times like Pickford's mistake at Anfield and Baines giving away the penalty away at Bournemouth.

we'd be 7th if we turned up between December and march pal, nothing to do with refs

we'd be 7th if we turned up between December and march pal, nothing to do with refs

Mhmm, so why does one count and not the other?

Referees have been horrendous with us this year, us playing badly for long spells does not make that irrelevant. We were dire in the FA cup game against Milwall but the fact remains is that we went out because the officials allowed an offside goal to stand.

I just think as good as Wolves and Watford have been I think we would be a good 6+ points ahead if we were to play to our potential (West Ham)

Im hoping the money is there in the summer for a top notch CF and creative midfielder as its essential we push on next season.

I don't necessarily disagree mate. I think there have been some signs of progress, but there have also been some worrying things I've seen. It would have needed to have been a disaster of a season for me to not be prepared to give him a full two seasons though.

All I would say is that as long as the points total goes in the right direction, that's a better barometer of progress than the league table in any one season. Obviously, more points will eventually mean a higher position, but if you take this season, the points that the teams from 8th to 11th get will be a fair bit higher than it was last season, so if we finish 9th, for arguments sake, but end up on 50 odd points, I'll take that as a very small measure of improvement, but with the caveat that I'd expect more next season.

I think from Brands comments its fair to see he'll be here next season however Its also fair to say he'll be expected to push on next season.

I fully expect us to finish the season 9/10th however I think anything less than 7th or possibly 8th with a good run in the cups next season and Moshiri/Brands will be getting twitchy especially if big money is spent this summer.
The way I see it is - similar to last summer.
As much deadwood moved on as is possible
Gomes and Zouma signed
A couple of 'new Gomes and Zouma's' in on loan, try before you buy.
One or two free transfer jems like Bernard.
Rinse and repeat until, well until at least BMD

The way I see it is - similar to last summer.
As much deadwood moved on as is possible
Gomes and Zouma signed
A couple of 'new Gomes and Zouma's' in on loan, try before you buy.
One or two free transfer jems like Bernard.
Rinse and repeat until, well until at least BMD
Another transfer window like that, and Brands will be declared a miracle worker.

I look at the team now and think that the first-teamers are all ok for the style of football SIlva wants to play and provide a decent platform for next season which means that the pressure to deliver a similar level of successes isn't as high as last summer. Having said that, striker, striker, striker, plus several other positions need strengthening and contingency planning in place for the longer term, so yes please to your request.

Mhmm, so why does one count and not the other?

Referees have been horrendous with us this year, us playing badly for long spells does not make that irrelevant. We were dire in the FA cup game against Milwall but the fact remains is that we went out because the officials allowed an offside goal to stand.

because blaming refs is a cop out, the refs have made mistakes but are they the reason why we played awful for 3 months

you mentioned a few games

Newcastle- cost us 1 point
arsenal- we were behind anyway
united away- it was 0-0 anyway away at old Trafford no guarantee this cost us anything
spurs- hard to tell with that one we was winning but spurs absolutely bummed us, cannot blame refs for the way we folded like a deck of cards

millwall- again I agree ref cost us, but us not turning up lost us that game, relegation threatened championship team and we mustered 2 shots on target

because blaming refs is a cop out, the refs have made mistakes but are they the reason why we played awful for 3 months

you mentioned a few games

Newcastle- cost us 1 point
arsenal- we were behind anyway
united away- it was 0-0 anyway away at old Trafford no guarantee this cost us anything
spurs- hard to tell with that one we was winning but spurs absolutely bummed us, cannot blame refs for the way we folded like a deck of cards

millwall- again I agree ref cost us, but us not turning up lost us that game, relegation threatened championship team and we mustered 2 shots on target

It's not a cop out. Referees aren't to blame for us not winning the league this season, us not being good enough in so many games is the reason.

There are five games there that I have mentioned where those mistakes not happening may have completely changed the outcome of those games. They don't happen and we could be comfortably in 7th.

Every team has refereeing decisions work against them (apart from the RS) but ours have been excessive this year. Key times in big games against mostly the top 6. It's not a coincidence.

Thought this was interesting from last season, just to give an indication of one perspective on the difference refereeing can make. There’s obviously quite a bit of luck in other ways beyond officiating, but it’s one interesting factor.

Another transfer window like that, and Brands will be declared a miracle worker.

I look at the team now and think that the first-teamers are all ok for the style of football SIlva wants to play and provide a decent platform for next season which means that the pressure to deliver a similar level of successes isn't as high as last summer. Having said that, striker, striker, striker, plus several other positions need strengthening and contingency planning in place for the longer term, so yes please to your request.
The trouble with this incremental 2 or 3 players a season;
a) They all have to gel and do the biz, we cant afford to buy expensive spares just in case(like SAF, getting Owen in on 90k a week for 4 games in a season)
b) After 4 seasons or so the first 2 are past their best and need replacing

Last in will be a Big money striker...if we can find one.

The trouble with this incremental 2 or 3 players a season;
a) They all have to gel and do the biz, we cant afford to buy expensive spares just in case(like SAF, getting Owen in on 90k a week for 4 games in a season)
b) After 4 seasons or so the first 2 are past their best and need replacing

Last in will be a Big money striker...if we can find one.
True that. However I maintain my belief that a well run club should be getting 2-3 players in and moving out the same numbers with an eye on youth from the academies and injury situations being the only reason to get any more in. Ideally in a squad that allows a bedding in time for all the incoming players. And in this ideal world, I'm also a millionaire sitting on my yacht supping on a cold beer under the warm Caribbean sun, so I'm not much closer to fulfilling my part of the fantasy than Everton. Unless Marcel Brands can pick me up a dinghy from Argos, a four pack and dig a pond in my garden for Summer, I think Everton might even be closer to this alternative reality.

Anyway ... Marco Silva! Have you given Pickord a rollicking yet? Beat Arsenal and get the yes percentage up some more.

I think Brands is set to be here for quite some time not just a season or two, perhaps really making this his club.

Status
Not open for further replies.