2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope Leicester came up and obliterated us. Wolves have came up and been better qualifying for Europe. Let's looks at this year. Villa are highly likely to finish higher than us and are arguably a better team. Leeds could well catch up to us.

You’ve only picked a select few. Leicester have been promoted since 2014, and won the league 2 years before Brands even got here. How has he received blame for that? Wolves have been doing well on the back of sorts investment but will likely finish bottom half this season. Leeds is a hypothetical as they may well finish bottom half and there’s no guarantee they’ll go past us (this is the same argument people were having when they were certain Swansea and Stoke would overtake us).

Villa are having a decent season but there’s no guarantee they’ll finish ahead of us and they’ve been largely injury free.

The same arguments were being made about Sheffield United last season. Now they’re going back down. Norwich have gone down. Bournemouth were the poster boys for sustainable progress, then went down.

We get the same arguments every season, x team is going to fly past us because Everton are so and yet year after year it doesn’t happen.

Some one check on @davek
Simon Jordan gives his approval for Brands.

Is that supposed to be a positive?

2 years here: wasted loads of cash on duff players; passed over twice by Moshiri for managerial recruitment; a DoF for two years and we still have no discernable style of play.

Let's have this right shall we: Brands has been an utter failure here. If he's retained it's only because Ancelotti doesn't want change - he wants a pliant 'DoF' who allows him to get on with playing the way he wants and choosing all the high profile transfers.

That's just about it.

You’ve only picked a select few. Leicester have been promoted since 2014, and won the league 2 years before Brands even got here. How has he received blame for that? Wolves have been doing well on the back of sorts investment but will likely finish bottom half this season. Leeds is a hypothetical as they may well finish bottom half and there’s no guarantee they’ll go past us (this is the same argument people were having when they were certain Swansea and Stoke would overtake us).

Villa are having a decent season but there’s no guarantee they’ll finish ahead of us and they’ve been largely injury free.

The same arguments were being made about Sheffield United last season. Now they’re going back down. Norwich have gone down. Bournemouth were the poster boys for sustainable progress, then went down.

We get the same arguments every season, x team is going to fly past us because Everton are so and yet year after year it doesn’t happen.
Thankfully there's only a few that have done better than us which was my original point. To talk about every promoted team would be obsolete.

What I'm saying is Leicester came up and were better than us pretty quick and continue to be so. Brands was brought in the buck this trend but he hasn't succeeded so far.

This is the first season that wolves look flat in a few years they have been more successful than us since getting promoted.

I never felt any of those other teams you mentioned were anything other than punching above their weight.

With Leicester, villa, wolves, Leeds. They are pretty much equivalent if not better than us after recently being in the championship. There's no excuses spouted every two minutes as to why they can't be successful.

Because that's how transfers work?

Don't know how to break it to you but FIFA and Football Manager aren't that accurate a model of trading multi million pound assets.

It's not a straight case of the reported, and often speculated at, fee being money in the bank. Transfer fees are often structured over years, part of them depend on performances or conditions being met, huge percentages that don't go to the selling club are often reported as being part of the fee and then there is player contracts also reported as part of the fee you see reported.

And on what basis do you believe Usmanov is casually dropping £100M into the kitty and £30M just drifts in from somewhere or other? You've pretty much imagined a £250M transfer kitty with nothing to back it up and are presenting it as a legitimate course of action that should it not come off is a failing on Brands' behalf.
I am 60 years of age and have never played a computer football game in my life
We get the fees in over 4-5 years and pay them out the same way
We spent 60m last summer when all and sundry said we had not got a pot to urinate in due to FFP
Moshiri reducing his stake in USM to less than 10% was done for a reason
I was replying to someone who said we could sell Kean and Ricarlison and get maybe 100m
Either way I expect our net spend to be higher than last summer

We spent 60m last summer when all and sundry said we had not got a pot to urinate in due to FFP
I was replying to someone who said we could sell Kean and Ricarlison and get maybe 100m

Whats your guess on net spend?

2 years here: wasted loads of cash on duff players; passed over twice by Moshiri for managerial recruitment; a DoF for two years and we still have no discernable style of play.

Let's have this right shall we: Brands has been an utter failure here. If he's retained it's only because Ancelotti doesn't want change - he wants a pliant 'DoF' who allows him to get on with playing the way he wants and choosing all the high profile transfers.

That's just about it.
“I spoke to Frank Arnesen – who is almost like the godfather of sporting directors in football and he raved about Brands."

Doesn't even know Brands personally but is just rehashing what Arnesen said about him by the sounds of it. In that context it's kinda weird that Simon Jordan was even given a platform for that particular article.. although I suppose this is Talksport we're dealing with lol

“I spoke to Frank Arnesen – who is almost like the godfather of sporting directors in football and he raved about Brands."

Doesn't even know Brands personally but is just rehashing what Arnesen said about him by the sounds of it. In that context it's kinda weird that Simon Jordan was even given a platform for that particular article.. although I suppose this is Talksport we're dealing with lol
He basically watched that SKY Sport 'the architect' BS documentary as [preparation for the piece on TalkSport.

That's just about it.
Get your Quim quotes out again Uncle Dave.

Fair enough on the 60 years and not playing computer games I'll take that back but you must admit there is a tendency for gross simplification of footballing finances when people are talking about potential transfers?

And it's very arguable that the figures being bandied about as money in the transfer kitty are nothing but wild speculation and a complete disregard for facts and how things actually work. Some headlines include the value of the contract, some include the agents cut, others don't.

The Rodriguez deal has been reported as a £20M deal and also a free transfer. Everton may well have shelled out quite a few million to help Madrid settle up what was still owing on Rodriguez's contract and other legalities to get the move done so while there's not a transfer fee there's still a quite a bit being spent on a "free" transfer. Rooney's transfer to MLS was reported as free and also as a £7M deal so probably the same kind of thing - a free that's not without cost.

I've not got the figures to hand but what was the actual net spend last summer? Given how deals are structured and that reported fees aren't actually an accurate reflection of money in and out at any one point then I'm not sure it's a simple matter of spending being a simple per window thing. FFP runs over a rolling 3 year average I think so I'd imagine there's quite a bit of shifting payment terms to later years in order to keep on course in the meantime.

And Moshiri reducing his stake in USM doesn't indicate Usmanov's chucking £100M in the pot and there's this £30M of drips and drabs coming in. There could be any number of reasons for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.