2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how you can tell his decisiveness without knowing all the info all the time.

Well, I'm trying to be balanced.

For example, this window is a great opportunity to do something. There are obviously external factors but not even attempting to bring someone in would be poor. Just as it was a poor decision to loan out Kean and - to a lesser extent - Walcott and then not bring in one single attacker at the end of the last window.

Gbamin looked a good player. He could still well be.

You cannot compensate for injuries.

Silva's management of the situation was dire and the medical team's management of the injury was worse.
Brands sold our best player with 3 years on his contract and used the cash to buy a player who has turned out to be an expensive dud.

That's all there is to that episode. He made those calls. He owns them.

Is there.?
And you have a copy of his job description to back up your claims?
Seems to me he's a very well paid scout and doubles up on portions of other people's jobs and gets paid Brewster's.
He's supposed to know a player when he sees one...but its different spotting players with Dutch League potential than PL potential.

Not a fan of this DoF lark
I also doubt he went up to Carlisle or down to Norwich on various occasions to look at the 2 Centreback...scouts did that
Like I said - well paid doubling up.

Well Degs where will Carlo find the time to undertake the jobs done by Brands?

Very late in the window. No time for pre-season. Right off the back of ACN.
Same as when we signed Yobo on the back of the World Cup, Pickford and Sandro during the U21 Euros, Besic off the World Cup and countless others

The problem wasn’t when we signed him, it was clueless management to not ease him into games, we had other options on the bench that day at Palace to come on, instead Silva throws him in straight away when Schneiderlin got himself sent off. Had he not done that, he’d have either been a permanent fixture or at least a bench option right now instead of being injured for 18 months

Well Degs where will Carlo find the time to undertake the jobs done by Brands?
The people who Brands nicked the various bits of his job off will get them back and start doing them again so Ancelotti doesn't have to.
It wasn't Ancelotti who went on a cold Tuesday up in Carlisle to watch Branthwaite, or down to Norwich to watch Godfrey...and you can bet it wasn't Brands either

The people who Brands nicked the various bits of his job off will get them back and start doing them again so Ancelotti doesn't have to.
It wasn't Ancelotti who went on a cold Tuesday up in Carlisle to watch Branthwaite, or down to Norwich to watch Godfrey...and you can bet it wasn't Brands either

Well Degs, Brands was in charge of the scouts do not think Carlo would have the time to manage the scouting team. As for getting people back to do Brands jobs if he goes then in reality that is just delegating the DoF job in all except name. Who would they report to? negotiate? transactions? Just in essence doing the same thing.

Well Degs, Brands was in charge of the scouts do not think Carlo would have the time to manage the scouting team. As for getting people back to do Brands jobs if he goes then in reality that is just delegating the DoF job in all except name. Who would they report to? negotiate? transactions? Just in essence doing the same thing.
Chief Scout...and I don't mean bear grylls

Because he had Gueye sold on him and wanted any replacement in.

The thing i look at, at he Gueye deal is the value, decision making and impact. You can see the logic in isolation of the one deal of selling a player hitting 30 for the 30 odd mill fee we got. You do however have to turn that into value and to your advantage and bring a positive impact - that didn't happen.

Since we sold him, we have spent:

£25 mill on Gbamin
£8.5 mill on Delph
£20 mill on The Duke
£22 mill on Allan.

Then you think about wages of the above.

I wont include Gomes.

Thats £30 mill in and the guts of £80 mill spent, trying to replace him. You have to question the decisions made there and if we got value out of what looked like a good value deal.

I think you also have to look at the impact to, we basically had no midfield last season and it absolutely torpedoed our season and hopes of progress to Europe, it also impacted on the value of other players. How much would Sigursdson have been worth after hitting double digits in attacking returns after Silvas first season, hes not worth much now after being shunted into central midfield and over urn for a year.

Its things like the above i find it very hard to reconcile, because they impart on the club welfare on and off the pitch so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.