2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who will do the negotiating and arranging the finances? In essence we still have a DoF but by a different name.
There is also the academy responsibilities as well. Whether it’s Brands or not, someone has to set the direction for the academy so that it links properly with the first team, and also oversee the academy playing staff requirements.

The Financial Director /CFO...you know the guy who deals with all the money and should know to the penny how much we can afford to pay...or not pay.
What of his other jobs looking after the finances for the stadium, advertising revenues, staff costs, club running costs, general expenses, transport costs, to name a few. Why do you dislike Brands?

The thing i look at, at he Gueye deal is the value, decision making and impact. You can see the logic in isolation of the one deal of selling a player hitting 30 for the 30 odd mill fee we got. You do however have to turn that into value and to your advantage and bring a positive impact - that didn't happen.

Since we sold him, we have spent:

£25 mill on Gbamin
£8.5 mill on Delph
£20 mill on The Duke
£22 mill on Allan.

Then you think about wages of the above.

I wont include Gomes.

Thats £30 mill in and the guts of £80 mill spent, trying to replace him. You have to question the decisions made there and if we got value out of what looked like a good value deal.

I think you also have to look at the impact to, we basically had no midfield last season and it absolutely torpedoed our season and hopes of progress to Europe, it also impacted on the value of other players. How much would Sigursdson have been worth after hitting double digits in attacking returns after Silvas first season, hes not worth much now after being shunted into central midfield and over urn for a year.

Its things like the above i find it very hard to reconcile, because they impart on the club welfare on and off the pitch so much.

I'd argue that we have actually only spent £47 mill on replacing him. Gbamin was obviously his replacement but has been unbelievably unfortunate/badly managed. Delph was brought in to cover the position/other roles but not as a replacement for him. And Allan is the new 'replacement for him as they couldn't wait for Gbamin and knew we needed the place filled.

The Duke is not his replacement and is an entirely different sort of player who would play alongside.

If he didn't stay who would replace him?

DOF is pretty necessary now, look at how Lille, Sevilla and Dortmund have done by sticking to a DOF even as managers change

Brands' future in Moshiri's hands​

0_GettyImages-1075107926-1.jpg

Marcel Brands wants to continue in his director of football role at Everton, but owner Farhad Moshiri is yet to take a call on him, according to a report.

The Dutchman, who arrived at Goodison Park in 2018, is out of contract in the summer and for the moment the Athletic says, the two sides have not agreed on extending his stay.

The 58-year-old is happy on Merseyside and wants to stay but it is now down to Everton’s owner Mr Moshiri and for the moment, he has not decided on whether to keep Brands in his current role.

The Blues supremo is unlikely to be rushed and the decision could even be delayed until the summer.

Surely begs the question then - who does Moshiri potentially have lined up to replace him? given the timing I don't like the sound of this at all.

Brands' future in Moshiri's hands​

0_GettyImages-1075107926-1.jpg

Marcel Brands wants to continue in his director of football role at Everton, but owner Farhad Moshiri is yet to take a call on him, according to a report.

The Dutchman, who arrived at Goodison Park in 2018, is out of contract in the summer and for the moment the Athletic says, the two sides have not agreed on extending his stay.

The 58-year-old is happy on Merseyside and wants to stay but it is now down to Everton’s owner Mr Moshiri and for the moment, he has not decided on whether to keep Brands in his current role.

The Blues supremo is unlikely to be rushed and the decision could even be delayed until the summer.

Surely begs the question then - who does Moshiri potentially have lined up to replace him? given the timing I don't like the sound of this at all.

Being completely honest - when you look at what he's spent if you was Moshiri and that was your money would you say its been well spent?

He redeemed himself somewhat this summer (although James and Allan are only here because of Carlo) however when you look at the signings the likes of Leicester and to a lesser extent teams like West Ham under Moyes & Southampton have made for less dough you cant say he would be a big miss.

Im not fussed if he stays or goes but I can see why Moshiri has reservations when you think of the dough spunked on Gomes, Delph, Iwobi, Kean, Gbamin then big wages for Bernard etc.

Being completely honest - when you look at what he's spent if you was Moshiri and that was your money would you say its been well spent?

He redeemed himself somewhat this summer (although James and Allan are only here because of Carlo) however when you look at the signings the likes of Leicester and to a lesser extent teams like West Ham under Moyes & Southampton have made for less dough you cant say he would be a big miss.

Im not fussed if he stays or goes but I can see why Moshiri has reservations when you think of the dough spunked on Gomes, Delph, Iwobi, Kean, Gbamin then big wages for Bernard etc.
As Nymz says though we'll invariably be sent back to square one if he doesn't renew. Really concerned about this personally.

As Nymz says though we'll invariably be sent back to square one if he doesn't renew. Really concerned about this personally.
Tbh i agree, i'm not his biggest fan by any stretch but to go back to square one now is just madness and it would start giving me some serious concerns about Moshiri. I do wonder sometimes if his close friendship with Joorabchin is such a good thing, have listened to Kia a few times and he has some very odd views on football.

I’m still onboard with Brands think it would be stupid to start again. The biggest problem with modern day football is their is so much at stake everyone wants instant success. He was brought in as a key role in the ‘project’ so let him see it out. At least until the end of next season when almost every player will be what Carlo wants/needs and the garbage players he was left with will all be gone

to be fair, he took over a situation that does not allow too much room for mistake. His path had been narrow in terms of pushing out deadwood and signing wonderkid out of nowhere.

if we had him on board at the start instead of Walsh, things will be completely different, at least much more room to be adventurous and less burden with deadwood.

My only criticism of him, didn’t exploit the South American market enough, loads of talented Brazilian kid he should at least look at some.

Status
Not open for further replies.