2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh mate just let it go ffs lol contrary to popular belief you don't have to try and justify any and all of your opinions that end up making you look a bit daft, using that game on Tuesday night as an example. You're allowed to be wrong like..

I was biting my nails in injury time
Wolves had more possession, more shots on goal, made more passes, hit the post.

Maybe the term "holding on" was a bit far but the reality is we were certaintly not the better team on the night. It works against teams who come at us but soon as a WHU/Burnley/Newcastle etc come to town and put men behind the ball and ask us to have a go at them - we struggle when we have key players out as the drop off in quality off the bench just isnt there.

Toshun does nothing, Davies does nothing, Siggurdsson does nothing, Bernard does nothing, Gomes is ok off the bench but does nothing starting.

If you want to back Carlo then back him - presently he's squeezing as much as he can out of a very limited squad.

1 or 2 shrewd additions could push us on so go and take it the opportunity.

Maybe the term "holding on" was a bit far but the reality is we were certaintly not the better team on the night. It works against teams who come at us but soon as a WHU/Burnley/Newcastle etc come to town and put men behind the ball and ask us to have a go at them - we struggle when we have key players out as the drop off in quality off the bench just isnt there.

Toshun does nothing, Davies does nothing, Siggurdsson does nothing, Bernard does nothing, Gomes is ok off the bench but does nothing starting.

If you want to back Carlo then back him - presently he's squeezing as much as he can out of a very limited squad.

I think we edged it the other day, we had the quality when it counted and bar that Neves free-kick, Wolves didn't have a chance mate.

Pickford had one save to make - just after they'd scored.

We're good at keeping teams at arms' lengths, even though I agree I'm always nervous.

We should push on this window, you know I think that, but we do also need to see if we can punt some of the wasters.

Whatever you say of those players, Carlo currently trusts at least three of them.

Sigurdsson didn't have to 'do anything' the other day, he was basically in as a body. His job was to try and occupy the CBs in some way and he did do that, without getting the ball. There was one example where James played in Iwobi and the latter had a shot. If he'd looked up there was a simple pass to Gylfi in 5 yards of space 10 yards out.

Davies, for all his faults, is the best player we currently have fit to play a deeper midfield role. Issue comes when we have to force games - he just hasn't got it in him.

So we need players, but it's gonna be a process. We need at least one this window, whatever Brands and Carlo say. They should know that, let's just hope it's all bluster.

We have a chance to do something this season but, right now, our squad isn't good enough to maintain this level unless all of the teams around us remain inconsistent (which, this season, is possible).

Hanging on was what Moyes did every single game and 90% of the time we conceded, last 15 mins we would defend our box like our lives depended on it and concede after We took off our only Str for a defender, I didn’t watch the Wolves game(just high lights)but I believe Ancelotti bought on our “Best” player who also a striker/Att with 15 mins to go

Arsenal was hanging on

Hanging on was what Moyes did every single game and 90% of the time we conceded, last 15 mins we would defend our box like our lives depended on it and concede after We took off our only Str for a defender, I didn’t watch the Wolves game(just high lights)but I believe Ancelotti bought on our “Best” player who also a striker/Att with 15 mins to go

Arsenal was hanging on

My point is you cant use the same set up against every opposition as for every top side who we can defend against there is a poorer side who is happy to sit back and ask us to attack them (West Ham as a prime example).

Its simple for me - if we dont bring 1-2 in this window we wont finish top 4 and when we dont the fans will blame the players and call them bottlers, weak mentality heck some will probably blame the manager but the reality is the squad just isn't good enough.

My aim at the start of the season was 7th so I would take that now if you offered me it, but it will be frustrating if we miss out on the Champions League by a few points and look back and think if only we had a decent CF to have come off the bench to have turned a draw into all 3 points or a proper RB to knock in a few assists instead of Coleman.

You dont achieve anything in life by playing it safe. Again im not talking about throwing £50 million at a player im talking about solid shrewd recruitment as I cant accept there are not better players in world football available on loan or a cheap deal that couldn't do better than Toshun, Gylfi, Davies etc.

My point is you cant use the same set up against every opposition as for every top side who we can defend against there is a poorer side who is happy to sit back and ask us to attack them (West Ham as a prime example).

Its simple for me - if we dont bring 1-2 in this window we wont finish top 4 and when we dont the fans will blame the players and call them bottlers, weak mentality heck some will probably blame the manager but the reality is the squad just isn't good enough.

My aim at the start of the season was 7th so I would take that now if you offered me it, but it will be frustrating if we miss out on the Champions League by a few points and look back and think if only we had a decent CF to have come off the bench to have turned a draw into all 3 points or a proper RB to knock in a few assists instead of Coleman.

You dont achieve anything in life by playing it safe. Again im not talking about throwing £50 million at a player im talking about solid shrewd recruitment as I cant accept there are not better players in world football available on loan or a cheap deal that couldn't do better than Toshun, Gylfi, Davies etc.
I’m sure Carlo and Brands know this and are working at getting the players we need, however we are in the middle of a pandemic and that changes a lot of things. Like Spurs although to a lesser existent finding a top quality str who happy to sit on the bench when DCL is fit is not easy, then you require that same att to score every time he comes on, an then to find him at the right price in January is very unlikely.
I agree we need more and better players but I just don’t see it happening, we are ahead of the curve and also in a mad mad season, we made up what 40 points on the RS

Against Wolves we virtually had no forward line, so yes they were able to pressure us but we defended well to hold out.

Against the other teams you mention they tend to hold out and try for a break away, so yes we do find it difficult because of the lack of quality on the bench also due to injuries the lack of quality in some who are played like Davies, and a past it Coleman.

As for that lot named, I agree if only we can get rid, you omitted Besic and Bolasie. But Brands has said obviously with Carlo's approval the mood in this window is to off load. Lets hop he is successful as in the past to remove more deadwood.

For me there is no doubt he is backing and has the backing of Carlo. It has also been indicated by both parties they will sign up the right players when available, look at this rumour on the news page of the Bavarian forward.

Anyone (mini Dave) thinking £100m for 74 departures hasn't bothered to actually look into said 74 departures.

You've said it twice now mate, if i thought your opinion was worthy i would have responded the first time, nothings changed on that score the second time.

Im flattered you tried baiting though, i remember when i started out here to, keep plugging away at it and the chin up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.